Parent Update – October 10, 2012
IMPORTANT REMINDER: NO SCHOOL THIS FRIDAY, OCTOBER 12TH
There is NO SCHOOL this Friday, October 12th. The Olmsted Falls School District, along with surrounding districts and districts throughout the State, will be closed for the annual NEOEA Day.
OLMSTED FALLS’ TEACHERS PARTNER WITH NASA TO CREATE PROJECT-BASED LEARNING UNITS
Olmsted Falls School District has partnered with NASA and The Great Lakes Science Center to participate in a special project called, “Exploring and Launching Project Based Learning: Creating the 21st Century Classroom.” Our district is one of six school districts participating in this exciting venture. The team of teachers representing Olmsted Falls includes Mrs. Peggy Morris (OFIS), Mr. Mike Moore (OFIS), Mrs. Cindy Bennett (OFMS), Mrs. Kathy Dean (OFMS), Mrs. Erika Wyman (OFMS) and Ms. Leah Ruebensaal (OFMS).
Last week, this team of teachers traveled to NASA for the first of an ongoing series of professional development experiences aimed at creating multi-disciplinary units of instruction that will be grounded in the new science standards and STEM approach. To read more and see additional photos, please click here.
OFHS SPANISH III STUDENTS SCORE HIGH ON CAAP
Last year, all Spanish III students in Olmsted Falls participated in the Collaborative Articulation and Assessment Project (CAAP). This project is sponsored by The Ohio State University. Students took a written, listening and reading assessment that was created by the university. The assessments give students an indication of their potential university course placement, and also provide feedback to high school students and teachers about general performance levels. The students from Olmsted Falls scored above the high school average in all three assessments on the 2011-2012 CAAP Exam.
OFIS STUDENTS TAKE INSECT WALK
In Mrs. Morris’ class, the students used the Creative Problem Solving process to create paper mache insects to help solve a problem that is “bugging” them. Because insects are such great problem solvers and survivors, the class is using them as their inspiration.
The natural habitat behind OFIS was the perfect place to collect insects for observation and sketching. To view more photos, please click here.
HOMECOMING WEEKEND – SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Homecoming Football Game (Vs. Amherst H.S.) – 7:00 p.m. Kick-Off
OFIS Football Social @ Homecoming Football Game – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, October 13th
OFHS Student Council Homecoming Dance – 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, October 14th
Annual Kiwanis Homecoming Pancake Breakfast – FREE – 8 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. @ OFHS
BEREA ROTARY CLUB DONATES DICTIONARIES TO FALLS-LENOX THIRD GRADERS
Third graders were very excited to receive dictionaries from the Berea Rotary Club! Each year Berea Rotary Club donates dictionaries to each third grader at Falls-Lenox. Mr. Jack Draper, Mrs. Mary Ann Walter and Mr. John Chapman personally delivered dictionaries to each classroom. The students will enjoy using the dictionaries for the remainder of their school careers. We are very grateful for the Berea Rotary Club’s generosity! For more photos, please click here.
MEET MR. GIBEAUT!
Mr. Tom Gibeaut has spent the past 24 years in the Olmsted Falls school district. Currently, he teaches Psychology and Sociology at the high school, and also serves as Student Council Advisor and is the Bulldog football announcer!
Mr. Gibeaut believes that he had a great experience as a student in an excellent public school system with creative teachers who made learning fun. He went into education to hopefully pass on what he has learned to the next generation of young people. Mr. Gibeaut takes pride in seeing his former students develop into successful, happy adults, and wonderful parents.
An Olmsted Falls resident himself, Mr. Gibeaut is an avid runner, a longtime OSU football supporter, and loves virtually all genres of music.
POWERSCHOOL MOBILE APP FOR PARENTS
Did you know? PowerSchool is now portable! The PowerSchool for Parents app is available for download from the App Store and compatible with the iPhone®, iPad® or iPod touch®. Parents can easily view each child’s progress in a single feed to check grades, review assignments, and more!
Olmsted Falls School District has created an instruction sheet to assist interested parents and/or students in getting connected to PowerSchool via a mobile device. Please click here to download this instruction sheet.
OFIS LIBRARY FUNDRAISER
Starting October 1 and ending on October 22nd, OFIS is having an online Titlewish fundraiser. 100% of the money raised will go directly to purchasing new books for their school library. OFIS is asking you to participate and help raise $2,500, which will be used to purchase new books to enhance the newly implemented Guided Reading program. To help meet this goal, please visit www.titlewish.com and use the FIND YOUR SCHOOL bar, type in Olmsted Falls Intermediate School to access the school’s Titlewish site. Thank you for your support!!
The Olmsted Falls High School Senior Girls & Junior Girls will be facing off for bragging rights at the annual Powder Puff Game on Thursday, November 1st at 7:00 p.m. at the Charles Harding Stadium. Gates Open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets at $5.00 (Pre-sale tickets are $4.00). There will be half-time games, raffles and concessions. All proceeds benefit the OFHS Post Prom Committee.
OLMSTED FALLS DEVELOPMENTAL BASKETBALL LEAGUE SIGN-UPS UNDERWAY
Registration for the 2012 Developmental Basketball League for 4th, 5th and 6th grade boys has begun. Players will participate in skills sessions and play games on Saturday mornings during the months of November and December. The cost of this year’s Developmental Basketball League is $50. The league will be taught by Olmsted Falls Varsity Basketball coaches and players. The league emphasizes basic skills, game rules, and teamwork in an atmosphere designed to be educational and enjoyable. For additional information and registration form, please click here for girls; click here for boys.
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
ENTERTAINMENT BOOKS AVAILABLE FROM THE OFMS PTA
The Middle School PTA is selling Entertainment Books!! Get yours today. They make great Christmas gifts. The books are $30.00 each. We are also running a special. If you buy 5 books you will get the 6th book free. You can download the order form by clicking here and send it into school with your child. Please put it in an envelope marked MS PTA – Entertainment Book Order. The checks should be made payable to OFMS PTA. The books will be sent home with your student within 2 weeks of receiving your order. Books will also be available for sale during the Middle School parent teacher conferences on November 5th and 15th. If you have any questions, please contact Holly McFadden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OFMS PTA SPIRIT SALE CONTINUES
Don’t forget to order your Olmsted Falls Bulldog spirit wear. You can view and order our items from RYCO Sports web page by clicking here. You can also click here to print the order form and send it with your child to drop off in the school office. We will be accepting orders until November 1st. All orders placed by November 1st will be ready for pick up at Parent Teacher Conferences at the Middle School in November. Should you have any questions please email Kim at email@example.com.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- OLMSTED COMMUNITIES SHREDDING DAY – THIS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2012, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon, OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Please click here for the flyer.
- 1ST ANNUAL ROBBY’S VOICE RACE IV AWARENESS – THIS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2012 @ OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Mail-In and Online registration begins September 14th. – 5K & 1 Mile Walk to raise awareness about drug addiction to help parents, students and our communities live a drug free life. Proceeds benefit Robby’s Voice. All donations are tax-deductible. To download official event flyer with registration form, please click here. For additional information or to volunteer, please visit www.robbysvoice.com or contact Race Coordinator Angela Marysiak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OLMSTED TOWNSHIP COMMUNITY MEETING – THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2012, 7:00 p.m., MIDDLE SCHOOL CAFETORIUM – Olmsted Township residents, please plan on attending this important meeting designed to give you a voice in the planning of the future of our community! Please click here for the flyer.
- OLMSTED CERT ANNUAL FUNDRAISER at RAZZLES on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20 from 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Unlimited pizza, wings, beer, and soda for only $20 – 50/50s, Side Boards and GREAT PRIZES! For more information please click here or to purchase tickets please email us at email@example.com or visit us online at www.olmstedcert.org.
- RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE – SAVE THE DATE – FIRST 2013 RELAY FOR LIFE PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23RD – After all expenses, $100,214.78 was raised by the 2012 Relay for Life! Congratulations to everyone for their continued support, energy and passion for our community’s fight against cancer. That puts our total for the three Relays at over $313,000.00. We should all be very proud and fulfilled. There is no greater feeling than helping others in need. Relay for Life Chairs Lisa Brady and Michelle LaGruth pass the torch to new chairs – Gabby Giamboi and Cassandra DeLuca – for the 2013 Relay for Life event, set for June 8, 2013. If you would like to join the adventure, mark your calendars for our first committee meeting October 23rd at OFIS! Kudos and thanks to Lisa Brady, Michelle LaGruth, and all volunteers for three fabulously rewarding years.
- ANNUAL NIGHT AT THE RACES – SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2012 – S T. MARY OF THE FALLS PARISH HALL – DOORS OPEN 6:15 P.M.; POST TIME 7:00 P.M. – Advance tickets $20 per person. 21 & over only. Cash to winning owner, sideboards, silent auction, DJ and dancing. Call to reserve a table for parties of 8 or more. All proceeds benefit St. Mary of the Falls School. To download a flyer/ticket order form, please click here. For more information and reservations, please contact Eileen Naughton at 236-6230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NOT TOO SCARY HALLOWEEN AT OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS AT JOURNEY CHURCH, 6941 COLUMBIA ROAD – FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26TH AT 6:00 p.m. OR SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27 AT 2:00 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. - You will enjoy a 30-minute swashbuckling floor show, light meal, Trick-or-Treating with a Goodie Bag and glow stick provided. Finally, finish off your evening with a dance party with the Princesses and Pirates. There will be photo opportunities and a chance to meet princesses and other characters. Advance tickets only. Tickets are $20 per person, with VIP seating (first three rows for the floor show) for $25. Children under age 2 are free if they lap sit. Tickets are on sale now at www.olmstedperformingarts.com, or call 440-465-3355 to check box office hours.
- IRVING BERLIN’S WHITE CHRISTMAS PERFORMED AT OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS MAIN STAGE – NOVEMBER 16-17, NOVEMBER 20-DECEMBER 2 – Show times are 2 pm Friday, 2pm and 7pm Saturday, and 2 pm Sunday. Performances will be held in the 1,200 seat theater at Journey Church, 6941 Columbia Road, Olmsted Falls. Tickets are $18 (Orchestra A), $15 (Orchestra B), and $12 (Reserved). Advance tickets are on sale now at www.olmstedperformingarts.com, and will be available through noon on November 15th, or call 440-465-3355 to check the hours for our box office. Tickets may also be available at the door.