Parent Update – February 27, 2013
CAREER DAY AT FALLS-LENOX
Falls-Lenox third graders participated in Career Day on Friday, February 22, 2013. Over 50 careers were represented by parents, friends, and family who took time from their busy schedules to share, inspire, and motivate students. All speakers inspired the students to work hard and set goals so that they can have a rewarding career one day too.
We appreciate all of the time and energy that the speakers put into their presentation. Positive energy and motivation was beaming from the students as they left that afternoon. For more photos of this event, please click here.
SCHOOL HEALTH AID POSITION AT OLMSTED FALLS HIGH SCHOOL
PSI, the company that provides nursing and clinic services for Olmsted Falls School District, is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of High School Health Aid. Interested candidates must have some medical background. The hours for this position are Monday thru Friday from 7:30 am – 2:30 pm. Please contact PSI directly at (330)425-8474 for additional information; ask for health services.
OFHS LAUNCHES CHAPTER OF “LA SOCIEDAD HONORARIA HISPÁNICA”
On February 26th, the Spanish Department of Olmsted Falls High School inducted its first group of students into the Juan Rulfo Chapter of “La Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica.” The ceremony took place at the Mexican Restaurant, Nuevo Acapulco, in North Olmsted. Following the induction ceremony, the Spanish teachers, the inductees and their family enjoyed a delicious meal to celebrate the success of these students.
“La Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica” is an honor society for high school students enrolled in Spanish and/or Portuguese, sponsored by the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese. It was formally organized as the Spanish National Honor Society in 1953. The name was changed to “La Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica” in 1959. Presently, there are over 2,000 national and International chapters. The purpose of the society is to recognize high achievement of high school students in the Spanish language and to promote a continuing interest in Hispanic studies.
The founding members of the Olmsted Falls Juan Rulfo Chapter of “La Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica” are: Sam Lewarchick, Nick Buchta, Christine Neudeck, Samantha Smitley, Samantha Buck, Jorden Rieke, Jacob Egan, Moises Garcia-Ponce, Holly Taylor, Joe Fudale, Rosalyn Miranda, Laura Higginbotham, Sara Cottrell, Tyler Martin, Salina Salamah, Bradley Stricklen, Seth Shamatta, and Julianna Goers.
CONGRATULATIONS TO LES EXCELLENCE, HONOR & MERIT ROLL STUDENTS AT OFMS
Congratulations to our Middle School students whose academic achievement earned them a place on the Les Excellence, Honor or Merit Roll for the 2nd Quarter. To view the 2nd Quarter Academic Review Lists for Olmsted Falls Middle School, please click HERE.
BLUE CREW HAS SUCCESSFUL SEASON
We had approximately 175 middle school members this year, and our students enjoyed cheering on our Varsity basketball Bulldogs!
ACT PREPARATION OFFERED AT THE OLMSTED FALLS LIBRARY
Knowledge is power! You can’t relearn everything from the past 10 years of school, but you can understand how to play to your strengths to reach your goals! College Now Great Cleveland will help you set your personal ACT score goal based on your talents. Learn which questions you should SKIP, specific strategies for each subject section, and make a plan to reach your ACT score goal! Registration is required. Please click here for more info.
ATTENTION: IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS/PARENTS
Please click HERE to download a letter from Assistant Principal Sean Wolanin containing important information about class scheduling for 2013-2014, OGT Week and Junior College Visit day.
KINDERGARTEN INFORMATION NIGHT – TOMORROW, THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 28TH
If you, or someone you know, will be registering a kindergarten student in Olmsted Falls Schools for the upcoming 2013-2014 school year, you’ll want to be sure to attend Kindergarten Information Night scheduled for Thursday, February 28th at 7:00 p.m. at the Early Childhood Center.
Learn about the kindergarten registration process and the importance of making sure students are registered early. Get an overview of the kindergarten program from ECC Director Mrs. Melinda Brunner, and hear from the Director of Transportation, the District Nurse and a representative from Safety Town. There will also be an opportunity to walk around the building and talk to some of the kindergarten teachers. Information about community childcare and preschool providers and the Kinderday program will also be provided.
To ensure that all parents are able to attend this important information night, free babysitting will be provided at the ECC during the presentation. For additional information or questions, please contact the ECC office at 440-427-6360.
KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION ALREADY UNDERWAY
Kindergarten registration is currently underway. If you need to register a student for the upcoming 2013-2014 school year, please stop by the Early Childhood Center to pick up student registration instructions and schedule an in-person registration appointment. Registering a student in Olmsted Falls Schools is a two-step process. The first step includes completing and submitting student information using the District’s new online registration system. The second step is an in-person registration appointment.
**PLEASE NOTE>>>The ECC computer lab will be open and available from 5-7 p.m. on February 28th (before Kindergarten Information Night – see above) for any parents needing computer access or assistance in completing the online portion of the student registration process. Please call the ECC office at 427-6360 to schedule an appointment time between 5-7 p.m. Then, just plan to come prepared with contact information for your child’s doctor, dentist and preferred hospital (name and phone number); as well as contact information for your emergency contacts (name, address and all phone #’s). We’ll have a computer for you and staff available to help if needed.
WHO: 8th GRADE WEB LEADERS and 6th GRADE STUDENTS
WHAT: WEB LOCK IN
WHEN: Friday, March 1st 8 PM – Saturday, March 2nd 7AM
WHERE: MIDDLE SCHOOL
Parents can clickHERE to download the permission form. 6th grade early bird sign up (for door prizes) was due February 21, 2013.
**We are accepting donations for gift cards and gift baskets for door prizes in the Guidance Office.**
8TH GRADE MUSICIANS CHOSEN TO PERFORM IN THE OMEA DISTRICT 4 HONORS DAY THIS WEEKEND
Nine 8th grade Concert Choir students were chosen to perform in the 2013 OMEA District 4 Honor Choir this Saturday, March 2nd. Guest conductor, Dr. Matthew Garrett, will lead these fine students in a 126 member choir. The concert will be held at Lakewood Civic Auditorium and begin at 4 p.m. This concert is free and open to the public. Soprano members are Melanie Campbell and Faith Topolski; Alto members are Emily Walchanowicz and Katie Yanchak; Tenor members are Frankie Harr, Adam Skutt, and Andrew Turksi; Bass members Kyle Erickson and Shane VonAlt. Mrs. Kiedrowski is excited to send such fine singers to this exciting event.
The Honors Band is under the direction of Mr. John Vanesky. Olmsted Falls Middle School Band representatives include Kacie Burton playing bassoon, Reilly Ferguson, tuba, Morgan Finau, clarinet, Gwen Gossett, trumpet, Bennett Graham, baritone sax, Megan Green, flute, Jacob Krucek, trombone, Joselyn Rabbitt, oboe, T. J. Slater, baritone, and Collin Werner on French horn. Mr. Feller and Mr. Gulden are excited to be part of this challenging day in which top students from the area get together for a limited rehearsal time to make great music and new friends.
Congratulations to all on this honor!
MEET MR. TABAR!
Mr. Mark Tabar has been working in the Olmsted Falls school district for the past 14 years. Currently, he serves as the school counselor at OFIS and previously taught history and government. Additionally, he has been involved in athletics while coaching middle school boys basketball and JV boys golf.
Mr. Tabar loves being a Bulldog because he feels that our community works so well together.
In his spare time, Mr. Tabar enjoys traveling, playing golf, and spending time with his wife Denise, children, and four grandchildren.
The Alumni Association would like to thank you for your support in helping make last Saturday’s Las Vegas Night such a success! Thank you to all the volunteer dealers, wheel spinners, card shufflers, ticket takers and sellers that also contributed to the success of the night. A very special thank you to our sponsors who made special donations: John Barnard’s Vitamix, Ann Reichle’s Angelina’s Pizza, and the Westside Irish American Club. All proceeds from Las Vegas Night go toward scholarships for 2013 Seniors. For more photos, please click here.
OFHS TRACK AND FIELD PARENT MEETING INFO NIGHT
TIME: 7:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M.
PLACE: High School Media Center (Library)
Parents or guardians of any athlete who plans on participating in high school track and field this year should attend. Contact Coach Novotny (email@example.com for more information)
ANNUAL OECPTA BARGAIN BONANZA IS MARCH 9TH!
Olmsted Early Childhood PTA’s Annual Bargain Bonanza is set for Saturday, March 9, 2013 at Olmsted Falls Middle School. The sale features gently used children’s clothes, toys, gear and maternity wear. All items are organized by size, gender and category. There will also be a bake sale.
$2 General Admission: 9am – 12:30pm
$3 Bag Sale: 2:30pm-3:30pm (large items are 1/2 price)
OFHS PTA TALENT SHOW – NEW DATE CONFIRMED – SATURDAY, MARCH 16TH
The 26th Annual Olmsted Falls High School PTA Talent Show will be held */SATURDAY, March 16, 2013/* at 7 pm in the Olmsted Falls High School Auditorium. Join us for a fun filled evening featuring 21 acts ranging in age from Kindergarten through 12th Grade demonstrating their musical, vocal, dance, acrobatic and magical talents. Admission $5. Refreshments will be available. Please come and support these amazing students. All proceeds will benefit the OFHS scholarship fund. Watch this weekly blog for more details. For further information, conact Claudia Ferrini at 440-427-0894.
YOUR CHILD COULD BE A “LEGISLATOR FOR THE DAY”
State Representative Mike Dovilla (R-Berea) has announced a renewed partnership with Cuyahoga County Public Library for his “Legislator for a Day” reading program. The contest, which begins on Monday, February 4th, continues Rep. Dovilla’s strong support of public libraries. Children in grades one through six may participate in the program by reading five books and recording the titles on a special bookmark available at the four branches in Rep. Dovilla’s district, including our Olmsted Falls branch. Children should return the completed bookmark to one of the participating branches no later than Friday, March 8th. The completed bookmark serves as an entry form for each child. Please click here to read the letter from Representative Mike Dovilla.
LOCAL TRAVEL TEAMS UNDEFEATED
The 6th Grade Boys Blue Team recently completed an undefeated regular season (10-0) in the Lake Erie Basketball League (LEBL) and then made history this past weekend as the first Olmsted Falls boys team in LEBL history to compete in three straight end-of-the-year LEBL tournament championships and the first to win two titles! They won their second title (winning the first one as fourth graders) with a 42-26 win over Bay Village on Sunday. Team members include: Gavin Dietrich, Michael Fritz, Braden Galaska, Teddy Grendzynski, Eric Hanna, Noah Le, Christian Morris, Dylan Reins, Jack Spellacy and Austin Stefan.
The 4th Grade Lady Bulldogs also recently completed an undefeated regular season (10-0) in the Lake Erie Basketball League (LEBL) and made history this past weekend as the first Olmsted Falls girls team in LEBL history to win the end of the year LEBL tournament championship defeating Avon 22-12 in the final. Team members include: Brenna Frimel, Lauren Galaska, Allison Milligan, Brooklyn Montalvo, Emma O’Brien, Keeley Patton, Ally Spellacy, Grace Simon, Sara Zawadski, and Emma Barnard.
Jack and Nick are 6th graders at Olmsted Falls Intermediate School. Jack took 4th place and Nick took 6th place in the recent Ohio Youth State wrestling tournament.
Congratulations to all of these young athletes!
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- NEW OLMSTED FALLS LIBRARY SCHEDULE OF SPRING ACTIVITIES – Check out all the offerings for this spring at our new library branch in Olmsted Falls! There are activities for children, teens, and adults. Please click here for more information.
- OLMSTED COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAM REGISTRATION FOR 2013-2014 – Beginning Friday, March 1st – Registration for OCO Summer 2013 Enrichment Camp, and 2013-2014 Kinderday and After School Care programs begins Friday, March 1st. Olmsted Community Outreach is a 501c3 non-profit organization located within the Olmsted Falls Early Childhood Center. OCO contracts to utilize currently vacant space within the ECC building to provide quality school aged childcare services for the community. OCO operates at NO COST to the school district nor to the taxpayers. For more information and to access registration forms, please visit www.ocoutreach.org or call (440) 782-1626.
- CLEVELAND BROWNS MIDDLE SCHOOL SPEED, SKILL, AND STRENGTH CLINIC - Friday, March 22 & Saturday, March 23 (Friday – 6:00-9:00 p.m., Saturday – 10:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m.) – Price: $50 – Location: Cleveland Browns Training Facility. The 2013 Cleveland Browns Middle School Speed, Skill & Strength Clinic gives 13 and 14 year olds the opportunity to prepare for the next level of football by developing proper speed, skill and strength training. The two-day program will feature instruction focused on proper training specifically for middle school football players. For registration, please click here.
- SATURDAY ACTIVITY NIGHTS… SOMETHING FUN FOR EVERYONE, 7:00 P.M – 10:00 P.M. AT OLMSTED COMMUNITY CENTER, 8170 MAPLEWAY DRIVE, 440-427-1599 - For ages 8-13, Cost is $8. Save the Date: March 16th, Magician & Illusionist, Magic Mike, magic show, walk-about magic tricks all night. Every Saturday Night includes: Basketball, Ultimate Football, Dodgeball, Wacky Kickball in our full gym, Crafts, Games w/ Prizes, and free Air Hockey, Pool, Ping Pong and Fooseball. Get your friends together and enjoy physical fitness and fun indoors on Saturday Nights! Visit: www.olmstedcc.com to view this months featured activities and fun! We are Handicapped Accessible!
- OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS (OPS) – Is currently taking applications for fine arts and crafts vendors looking to participate in our Spring Marketplace to benefit the Disney Dance Team. The Spring Marketplace will take place on Saturday April 6, 2013, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., at Olmsted Performing Arts, 6941 Columbia Road, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138, 440-235-6722 and feature many fine arts and crafts vendors, raffle prizes, fun spring ideas, dance team performances and more! See you this spring at OPA! Interested vendors please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- 3RD ANNUAL CARNIVAL FOR A CURE, FRIDAY, APRIL 19TH, 6-8:30 P.M. – Save the Date!! Mark your calendars!! The date for the 3rd annual Carnival For a Cure has been set!!! It will take place at Falls-Lenox on Friday, April 19th from 6-8:30 p.m.! All Olmsted Fall’s families and friends are welcome to attend! Join the hundreds of people that come every year for some old fashioned fun of carnival games, cake walks, face painting, 50/50 raffle, and Relay style lap walking! More information to follow! We hope to see you there!