Parent Update – March 6, 2013
Olmsted Falls School District is proud to report to our community that the Ohio Department of Education last week officially released both the latest value added scores and the Local Report Cards for all public schools (including charters) in Ohio. 832 school districts are represented.
Olmsted Falls School District’s value added score ranks in the top 10 in the entire state of Ohio! The value added score is a measure of student growth over the course of one academic year. To view the value added rankings for the 832 school districts across the state – including charter schools – please click HERE.
Additionally, Olmsted Falls School District has once again achieved the top rating of Excellence with Distinction on the Local Report Card. To view the latest, just-released Local Report Card for Olmsted Falls School District, please click HERE.
These results are a testament to the hardworking students, dedicated teachers and supportive parents of Olmsted Falls Schools – all working together toward the common goal of providing our students with an excellent educational experience.
These results are made all the more impressive when one considers that these achievements come from a district with the second lowest cost-per-pupil rate in Cuyahoga County! Of all school districts in Cuyahoga County, Olmsted Falls School District continues to maintain the second lowest expenditure level in terms of cost-per-pupil. Kudos to our staff, administrators and Board of Education members for truly exemplifying Excellence, Education and Efficiency – the three prominent words on the Olmsted Falls School District logo.
Thank you again to all for supporting the educational lives of our Olmsted Falls children!
STATE ELECTED OFFICIALS VISIT OLMSTED FALLS SCHOOL DISTRICT
State Representatives Nan Baker and Mike Dovilla visited with students at Olmsted Falls Intermediate School last Friday, providing an overview of their responsibilities as elected officials in the state of Ohio. Following their conversation with students, Reps. Baker and Dovilla spent time meeting with the District Leadership Team (DLT) – made up of both teachers and administrators – to dialogue about a few of the many new requirements for Ohio school districts, including the new Common Core, the 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee, and the Ohio Teacher Evaluation System (OTES). The opportunity to speak personally and directly on these topics is important. Thanks to all who participated! To see additional photos from this visit, please click HERE.
OFMS STUDENTS SHARE FAMOUS PERSON REPORTS WITH OFIS STUDENTS
Each seventh grader researched a famous person and made a corresponding activity to go along with the report. At OFIS, the seventh graders read their reports then had the 4th and 5th graders complete the activity. Kudos to this cross-building collaboration which enhanced learning for all!
OFIS 5TH GRADERS COMPETE IN MATH PROBLEM SOLVING TOURNAMENT
The Greater Cleveland Council of Teachers of Mathematics Fifth and Sixth Grade Math Problem Solving Tournament was held at 15 sites throughout northeastern Ohio on Saturday, February 23, 2013. Ten teams of four students participated from our school. Five teams headed to Lake Ridge Academy in North Ridgeville, accompanied by Mrs. Raines, and the five other teams competed at Messiah Lutheran School in Fairview Park led by Mr. Schafer.
In order to prepare for the competition, the ten fifth grade teams met with Mrs. Raines and Mr. Schafer after school once a week to get ready for the contest using problems from past competitions. The lessons learned in the classroom from our math teachers are applied and even extended each week. [READ MORE! Please click HERE to read more about the competition results and view more photos!]
OFHS SCHEDULING FOR NEXT YEAR’S CLASSES ENDS TOMORROW!
Scheduling for next year’s courses for all OFHS students began last Saturday and ends tomorrow night, Thursday, March 7th at 10:00 p.m. All course scheduling for next year is being done online. OFHS parents were sent an e-mail containing scheduling information last week. Students were also presented with an instructional video about the online scheduling process.
Parents are encouraged to discuss course selections with their OFHS students. The 2013-2014 Program of Studies as well as the instructional video can both be accessed on the Counselors’ Corner page of the High School website. Please feel free to contact the High School at (440) 427-6100 with any questions.
ATTN: HIGH SCHOOL PARENTS – IMPORTANT REMINDERS ABOUT OGT WEEK & LATE START SCHEDULE NEXT WEEK!
The Ohio Graduation Tests (OGT) will be administered next week (March 11-15, 2013). All 10th grade students will be required to attend each day of the OGT testing. Students are to report to their assigned homeroom promptly by 7:30 a.m. Students who are retesting will receive a letter from Ms. Meinhardt and will be reporting to the Media Center.
Students must pass all five sections of the test (Reading, Writing, Mathematics, Citizenship, and Science) in order to receive an Olmsted Falls High School diploma. Students have received OGT test preparation since their freshman year as part of their language arts, social studies, science, and math classes. Students may also utilize Study Island (www.studyisland.com) for additional test preparation. Your student’s username is their school identification number. They should have already created a password (if not, please contact Mr. Wolanin).
During OGT week, students in grades 9, 11, and 12 need to report to school no later than 10:10 a.m. when 1st period will begin.
OGT WEEK BUS SCHEDULES:
There will be two morning bus runs for High School students.
- The first run is the normal AM HS pick-up, which will transport 10th graders and any other students needed to arrive OFHS by 7:30 a.m. for OGT. Students involved in OGT testing should plan to be at their regular bus stops at their normal a.m. pick-up time.
- The second morning run (9 routes) will begin at 8:45 a.m. to transport all other OFHS students (not taking OGT). OFHS students NOT involved in OGT testing should plan to be at their regular bus stops at 8:45 a.m. Bus pick-up times will vary based on location with most pick-ups occurring between 8:45 and approximately 9:00 a.m.
Please note: Polaris and Non-Public Transfer Buses will depart OFHS at 7:05 a.m. as usual.
DENTAL HEALTH WEEK PROMOTES HEALTHY HABITS AT ECC
Dental Health week was made possible by the Falls-Lenox/ECC PTA liason Mrs. Jen Tedeschi! Mrs. Tedeschi provided activities and materials to study dental health through science experiments and art projects! She also completed a newsworthy bulletin board to promote dental health throughout the school! Students practiced brushing, counted their teeth and participated in a science experiment that showed what would happen if they did not brush our teeth.
Dr. Melissa Kronholz and staff visited our school to talk and demonstrate, with audience participation, about good dental health practices. Every child received a dental health bag complete with a brand new toothbrush to take home, compliments of Dr. Kronholz. Each student also took home a tooth brushing chart to remember and practice good dental health at home. A big thank you to PTA and Dr. Melissa Kronholz and staff!!!!
OFHS STUDENTS TAKE TOP HONORS IN TRI-C CULINARY ARTS COMPETITION
Congratulations to Olmsted Falls High School seniors Yesenia Figueroa and Jordan Cielec on winning top honors in the recent Tri-C Regional Culinary competition. Yesenia (captain) and her senior team at Polaris Career Center won the Gold Medal in the Culinary Arts competition. Jordan and her team won the Gold Medal in the Pastry competition.
Kudos to both students and best of luck as you move on the state level in April!
OFHS STAFF SELECTS ANNUAL PHI BETA KAPPA HONOREE
This annual honor is awarded to a student who has demonstrated the highest standards of academic achievement and scholarship.
Congratulations again to Megan!
JUNIOR COLLEGE VISIT DAY IS MARCH 13TH — FORM REQUIRED
OFHS students interested in participating in Junior College Visit Day must stop in the Guidance office to pick up the Planned Absence Form. This form must be completed if your son/daughter plans on visiting a college on March 13th.
FALLS-LENOX CELEBRATES DR. SEUSS’ BIRTHDAY AND READ ACROSS AMERICA
Students at Falls-Lenox Primary School took turns “rocking and reading” during last week’s celebration of Dr. Seuss’ Birthday and Read Across America. The “Rock and Read” event was broadcast live throughout the school all day long as students representing each classroom took turns coming into the studio to read silently on live TV for ten minutes. Classmates tuned in to watch students and special guests reading. Fun was had by all during this celebration of reading!
FAMILIES ENJOY LITERACY NIGHT AT FALLS-LENOX!
On Thursday, February 21st, second grade students and their families at Falls-Lenox Primary School celebrated literacy by Cruising through the Islands of Books during Second Grade Literacy Night! This was an exciting evening of learning where parents worked with their children on fiction literary elements, non-fiction text features, and fluency. The students and parents visited three islands throughout the evening and participated in make-it-take-activity stations. Students left each station with an activity that they could take home and practice with their favorite books! Each student also received a book to take home and other helpful resources. To view photos from the event, please click HERE. We are looking forward to Third Grade Literacy Night on Thursday, March 7th!
BULLDOGS SHINE IN OMEA DISTRICT 4 HONORS DAY PERFORMANCES
Music students from Olmsted Falls Middle School represented their community well this past Saturday as they participated in the OMEA District 4 Honors Day event at the Lakewood Civic Auditorium. More than 300 students from across the county participated in three performance groups (with approximately 100 students in each group): Honor Choir, Honor Band and Honor Orchestra. Olmsted Falls’ music teachers Mr. Gulden, Mr. Feller and Ms. Kiedrowski assisted with the special performances, which were free and open to the public.
Congratulations again to the following OFMS Choir students, who were selected to participate in the Honor Choir: Soprano members are Melanie Campbell and Faith Topolski; Alto members are Emily Walchanowicz and Katie Yanchak; Tenor members are Frankie Harr, Adam Skutt, and Andrew Turksi; Bass members Kyle Erickson and Shane VonAlt. And, congratulations to the following OFMS Band students who were selected to participate in the Honor Band: The Honors Band is under the direction of Mr. John Vanesky. Olmsted Falls Middle School Band representatives include Kacie Burton playing bassoon, Reilly Ferguson, tuba, Morgan Finau, clarinet, Gwen Gossett, trumpet, Bennett Graham, baritone sax, Megan Green, flute, Jacob Krucek, trombone, Joselyn Rabbitt, oboe, T. J. Slater, baritone, and Collin Werner on French horn.
To view pictures from the event, please click HERE.
APPLEBEE’S POST PROM FUNDRAISER
If you don’t want to cook on Wednesday, March 27th, just order from Applebee’s in North Olmsted between 11 am and 9 pm. Click here for the flyer, print it out, and BRING IT WITH YOU. They will donate 15% to Post Prom. You can eat in or carry out but you must have the flyer when you arrive. Please pass this to anyone and everyone. It’s a great way to help out the Olmsted Falls High School Post Prom committee with their fundraising efforts.
2013 OFHS BASEBALL EARLY BIRD SPRING TRAINING BASEBALL CAMP
ANNUAL OECPTA BARGAIN BONANZA IS THIS SATURDAY, MARCH 9TH!
Olmsted Early Childhood PTA’s Annual Bargain Bonanza is set for Saturday, March 9, 2013 at Olmsted Falls Middle School. The sale features gently used children’s clothes, toys, gear and maternity wear. All items are organized by size, gender and category. There will also be a bake sale.
$2 General Admission: 9am – 12:30pm
$3 Bag Sale: 2:30pm-3:30pm (large items are 1/2 price)
OFHS PTA TALENT SHOW – NEW DATE CONFIRMED – SATURDAY, MARCH 16TH
The 26th Annual Olmsted Falls High School PTA Talent Show will be held */SATURDAY, March 16, 2013/* at 7 pm in the Olmsted Falls High School Auditorium. Join us for a fun-filled evening featuring 21 acts ranging in age from Kindergarten through 12th Grade demonstrating their musical, vocal, dance, acrobatic and magical talents. Admission $5. Refreshments will be available. Please come and support these amazing students. All proceeds will benefit the OFHS scholarship fund. Watch this weekly blog for more details. For further information, contact Claudia Ferrini at 440-427-0894.
YOUR CHILD COULD BE A “LEGISLATOR FOR THE DAY”
State Representative Mike Dovilla (R-Berea) has announced a renewed partnership with Cuyahoga County Public Library for his “Legislator for a Day” reading program. The contest, which begins on Monday, February 4th, continues Rep. Dovilla’s strong support of public libraries. Children in grades one through six may participate in the program by reading five books and recording the titles on a special bookmark available at the four branches in Rep. Dovilla’s district, including our Olmsted Falls branch. Children should return the completed bookmark to one of the participating branches no later than this Friday, March 8th. The completed bookmark serves as an entry form for each child. Please click here to read the letter from Representative Mike Dovilla.
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- OLMSTED FALLS CLASS OF ’83 TO HOLD ITS 30 YEAR REUNION THIS SUMMER! – The Olmsted Falls Class of ’83 will be hosting its 30th Reunion this summer with events on August 9 and 10. Friday’s event will be a casual “Meet and Greet” at Tony K’s in Berea. Saturday’s event will consist of cocktails and heavy hors d’oeuvres on the Patio of Panini’s in Westlake. More details will be forthcoming. If you have any questions or would like to attend our next planning meeting, please contact Kathy (Walsh) Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org or Deb (Lloyd) Henton at email@example.com.
- NEW OLMSTED FALLS LIBRARY SCHEDULE OF SPRING ACTIVITIES – Check out all the offerings for this spring at our new library branch in Olmsted Falls! There are activities for children, teens, and adults. Please click here for more information.
- OLMSTED COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAM REGISTRATION FOR 2013-2014 – Beginning Friday, March 1st – Registration for OCO Summer 2013 Enrichment Camp, and 2013-2014 Kinderday and After School Care programs begins Friday, March 1st. Olmsted Community Outreach is a 501c3 non-profit organization located within the Olmsted Falls Early Childhood Center. OCO contracts to utilize currently vacant space within the ECC building to provide quality school aged childcare services for the community. OCO operates at NO COST to the school district nor to the taxpayers. For more information and to access registration forms, please visitwww.ocoutreach.org or call (440) 782-1626.
- CLEVELAND BROWNS MIDDLE SCHOOL SPEED, SKILL, AND STRENGTH CLINIC – Friday, March 22 & Saturday, March 23 (Friday – 6:00-9:00 p.m., Saturday – 10:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m.) – Price: $50 – Location:Cleveland Browns Training Facility. The 2013 Cleveland Browns Middle School Speed, Skill & Strength Clinic gives 13 and 14 year olds the opportunity to prepare for the next level of football by developing proper speed, skill and strength training. The two-day program will feature instruction focused on proper training specifically for middle school football players. For registration, please click here.
- MAGIC AT SATURDAY ACTIVITY NIGHT – SATURDAY, MARCH 16TH – 7:00 P.M – 10:00 P.M. AT OLMSTED COMMUNITY CENTER, 8170 MAPLEWAY DRIVE, 440-427-1599 – Cost is $8. Kids ages 7-13 get a sneak peek at magic & meet the Magician and Illusionist Magic Mike! He will put on a short show & do walk about magic all night for the kids. To view the flyer, please click here.
- AMAZING MAGIC SHOW BY MAGIC MIKE PRODUCTIONS AT OLMSTED COMMUNITY CENTER – FRIDAY, APRIL 26th – 6:00 p.m. — Family and Kids Magic & Illusion Show; 8:30 p.m.: Trick-a-Nosis – Adult Magic, Illusion, Hypnosis & Comedy Show; Doors Open at 5:15 p.m. with kids activities, Interactive Photobooth by inFocus, concessions and more. Get your tickets now! Get more information and order online at www.olmstedcc.com. To view the flyer, please click here.
- OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS (OPS) – Is currently taking applications for fine arts and crafts vendors looking to participate in our Spring Marketplace to benefit the Disney Dance Team. The Spring Marketplace will take place on Saturday April 6, 2013, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., at Olmsted Performing Arts, 6941 Columbia Road, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138, 440-235-6722 and feature many fine arts and crafts vendors, raffle prizes, fun spring ideas, dance team performances and more! See you this spring at OPA! Interested vendors please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- 3RD ANNUAL CARNIVAL FOR A CURE, FRIDAY, APRIL 19TH, 6-8:30 P.M. – Save the Date!! Mark your calendars!! The date for the 3rd annual Carnival For a Cure has been set!!! It will take place at Falls-Lenox on Friday, April 19th from 6-8:30 p.m.! All Olmsted Fall’s families and friends are welcome to attend! Join the hundreds of people who come every year for some old-fashioned fun of carnival games, cake walks, face painting, 50/50 raffle, and Relay style lap walking! More information to follow! We hope to see you there!