Parent Update – March 13, 2013
NEW HEAD FOOTBALL COACH NAMED FOR OLMSTED FALLS HIGH SCHOOL
Former defensive coordinator at Westlake High School, Tom DeLuca, has been hired to take over the Bulldog football program for twenty-five year veteran head coach Jim Ryan. A 1999 graduate of Norwalk High School, DeLuca has been the defensive coordinator at Westlake since 2008. DeLuca attended Baldwin-Wallace College, where he played football for four years and was elected captain his senior year.
“I look forward to the opportunity to continue the great Bulldog football tradition,” state DeLuca in a press release following his official hiring last week. “It is an honor to follow Coach Ryan as the next head football coach at Olmsted Falls High School.”
“We are very pleased to announce Tom DeLuca as our next head football coach,” added Rob Coxon, Director of Athletics. “He brings passion and experience that will serve our student athletes well and, as a local resident, Tom also possesses a strong understanding of the Bulldog culture.”
DeLuca will teach Health/Physical Education at Olmsted Falls High School. He resides in Olmsted Falls with his wife Cassandra, who teaches first grade at Falls-Lenox Primary. The Olmsted Falls Board of Education officially approved the hiring of Tom DeLuca during a meeting last Wednesday night. Pictured above are new OFHS head football coach Tom DeLuca and his wife Cassandra with Board President Jim Weisbarth.
JOIN US FOR THE 26th ANNUAL OFHS PTA TALENT SHOW THIS SATURDAY MARCH 16, 2013
The 26th Annual Olmsted Falls High School PTA Talent Show will be held this Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 7 pm in the Olmsted Falls High School Auditorium. Our show will be featuring 21 acts ranging in age from Kindergarten through 12th Grade demonstrating their musical, vocal, dance, acrobatic and magical talents. Please come and support these amazing students and bring your family and friends. Admission is $5. Refreshments available. All proceeds will benefit the OFHS scholarship fund for graduating Seniors.
PTA TALENT SHOW REHEARSAL IS TONIGHT – WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13, 2013 FROM 6 PM TO 8:30 PM
Attention all Talent Show Acts – Mandatory Dress Rehearsal will be Wednesday, March 13 from 6 to 8:30 pm in the High School Auditorium. Be sure to bring your labeled CD’s, music, instruments, props and wear your costumes if appropriate.
OFHS PRE-ENGINEERING STUDENT PLACES IN SKILLS USA COMPETITION
OFHS Pre-Engineering student Connor Hughes recently competed in the SkillsUSA Regional Competition held at Cuyahoga Valley Career Center. Connor competed in the Technical Drafting competition and came in 3rd place.
Connor will compete in the SkillsUSA State Competition in Columbus on April 23 for a chance to go to Nationals in Kansas City in June.
Congratulations to Connor and good luck in Columbus next month!
MEET MR. HAMILTON!
Mr. Larry Hamilton has been an employee of Olmsted Falls School District since 1993. He currently serves as the Head Custodian and District Locksmith. Mr. Hamilton loves being a Bulldog because of all of the great students and staff members he works with. He enjoys the challenges of fixing, troubleshooting, and repairing our buildings.
In his spare time, Mr. Hamilton enjoys cycling, fishing, woodworking, and spending time with his three children, Tori (16), Rachel (14), and Max (13).
OLMSTED FALLS PTA’S CELEBRATE NATIONAL PTA FOUNDERS DAY
PTA Units in Olmsted Falls celebrated National PTA Founders’ Day this year by creating a special video presentation showcasingthe far-reaching impact of our local PTA units throughout Olmsted Falls School District.
To view the new Founders’ Day video, please click HERE and then click the play button on the video screen at the bottom of the page.
OFHS MASQUERS PRESENTS GREASE, THE MUSICAL!
Olmsted Falls High School Masquers presents GREASE: School Version
April 19 @ 7:30pm
April 20 @ 3:00pm & 7:30pm
Call 440-427-6070 for tickets – $7 Adults, $5 Students/Seniors
Presented by special arrangement with SAMUEL FRENCH, INC. Click here to see the flyer.
MIDDLE SCHOOL BOOK FAIR
The Middle School Media Center will be hosting a spring Scholastic Book Fair that will run Wed. March 13-Wed. March 20. The fair will be open during the school day from 8:30-3:30. It will have many new and exciting titles of all genres. Thanks in advance to our wonderful PTA volunteers who provide their valuable time working these fairs. Also, a huge “thank you” to our staff, students, and parents who support the book fairs which allows us to purchase the latest popular titles using profits.
FALLS-LENOX BOOK FAIR
Mark your calendars for the annual Falls-Lenox book fair being held the week of April 15th – 19th. The fair will take place in the library during the times listed below:
April 15 and 17 from 3-4 pm (Monday and Wednesday)
April 16 and 18 from 6-8 pm (Tuesday and Thursday)
April 16th will be the family night event including an ice cream social! Stop by and purchase a bowl of ice cream before you shop!!
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Lori Surtman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
SEEKING ENTRIES FOR OFHS ART SHOW IN MAY
The Annual OFHS May Show is Friday May 10, 2013. Again, we are looking for work for the show from Olmsted Falls Alumni, OFCS Faculty and Staff, and Olmsted Falls Community Members. Please complete the entry form and return it to Mariel Krakowiak, at Olmsted Falls High School, by Friday May 3. Contact Mariel Krakowiak with any questions: email@example.com. To download the entry form, please click here.
OLMSTED FALLS LIBRARY OFFERS PRACTICE SAT TEST
Practice SAT Test
Saturday, Mar. 16, 2013
10:00 AM – 1:30 PM
College bound?? Get ready today by taking a practice SAT exam! Huntington’s SAT Prep Test Workshop was developed for college-bound high school students and is designed to guide them through the college entrance exam process. High school students need to be as prepared as possible. Students will take an actual practice exam. Participants must attend the follow-up on Tuesday, April 2nd at 6 pm to learn test results, discuss strategies to improve their score and tips on preparing for the real exam. Registration is required. For the Practice test, please click here. For the Follow up test result session, please click here.
OLMSTED FALLS ATHLETIC BOOSTERS’ ANNUAL NIGHT AT THE RACES EVENT – SAT., APRIL 20TH!
A fun-filled night is in the works….OFAB’s annual Night at the Races. This year’s event will be held at the German American Club on Saturday, April 20. Food, drink, prizes and horse racing are the evening’s highlights. All the fun begins at 6 p.m. Tickets to attend are $30/person (sold in tables of 8). To inquire about tickets, contact Dave Kurz at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 440-263-0051. Act fast, this event traditionally sells out!
A successful Night at the Races is contingent upon the support of our families, community and surrounding businesses. Here’s how you can help make one of OFAB’s biggest fundraisers a huge success: Donate Merchandise, Purchase an Advertisement for our Program, and/or Purchase a Horse. For additional information on how you or your company can get involved in supporting this event, please visit www.ofathleticboosters.org.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUPPORT! SEE YOU APRIL 20TH!
APPLEBEE’S POST PROM FUNDRAISER
If you don’t want to cook on Wednesday, March 27th, just order from Applebee’s in North Olmsted between 11 am and 9 pm. Click here for the flyer, print it out, and BRING IT WITH YOU. They will donate 15% to Post Prom. You can eat in or carry out but you must have the flyer when you arrive. Please pass this to anyone and everyone. It’s a great way to help out the Olmsted Falls High School Post Prom committee with their fundraising efforts.
2013 OFHS BASEBALL EARLY BIRD SPRING TRAINING BASEBALL CAMP
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting information about a school or school-connected organization’s fundraising event, you will need to make sure that you have completed and submitted the District’s official Fundraising Form. Once your event has been approved, we will be happy to post/promote the information on the Weekly Blog Update. To download a copy of the Fundraising Form, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MILITARY COMPTROLLERS (ASMC) SHAMROCK RUN, 5 KILOMETER RACE/1 MILE WALK, SATURDAY, APRIL 20TH, 9:00 A.M. – All proceeds benefit the Wounded Warrior Project and the St. Augustine Hunger Center. To view the flyer, please click here or click here for the web site.
- NEW OLMSTED FALLS LIBRARY SCHEDULE OF SPRING ACTIVITIES – Check out all the offerings for this spring at our new library branch in Olmsted Falls! There are activities for children, teens, and adults. Please click here for more information.
- OLMSTED COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAM REGISTRATION FOR 2013-2014 – Beginning Friday, March 1st – Registration for OCO Summer 2013 Enrichment Camp, and 2013-2014 Kinderday and After School Care programs begins Friday, March 1st. Olmsted Community Outreach is a 501c3 non-profit organization located within the Olmsted Falls Early Childhood Center. OCO contracts to utilize currently vacant space within the ECC building to provide quality school aged childcare services for the community. OCO operates at NO COST to the school district nor to the taxpayers. For more information and to access registration forms, please visit www.ocoutreach.org or call (440) 782-1626.
- MAGIC AT SATURDAY ACTIVITY NIGHT – SATURDAY, MARCH 16TH – 7:00 P.M – 10:00 P.M. AT OLMSTED COMMUNITY CENTER, 8170 MAPLEWAY DRIVE, 440-427-1599 – Cost is $8. Kids ages 7-13 get a sneak peek at magic & meet the Magician and Illusionist Magic Mike! He will put on a short show & do walk about magic all night for the kids. To view the flyer, please click here.
- AMAZING MAGIC SHOW BY MAGIC MIKE PRODUCTIONS AT OLMSTED COMMUNITY CENTER – FRIDAY, APRIL 26th – 6:00 p.m. – Family and Kids Magic & Illusion Show; 8:30 p.m.: Trick-a-Nosis – Adult Magic, Illusion, Hypnosis & Comedy Show; Doors Open at 5:15 p.m. with kids activities, Interactive Photobooth by inFocus, concessions and more. Get your tickets now! Get more information and order online at www.olmstedcc.com. To view the flyer, please click here.
- 3RD ANNUAL CARNIVAL FOR A CURE, FRIDAY, APRIL 19TH, 6-8:30 P.M. – Save the Date!! Mark your calendars!! The date for the 3rd annual Carnival For a Cure has been set!!! It will take place at Falls-Lenox on Friday, April 19th from 6-8:30 p.m.! All Olmsted Fall’s families and friends are welcome to attend! Join the hundreds of people who come every year for some old-fashioned fun of carnival games, cake walks, face painting, 50/50 raffle, and Relay style lap walking! More information to follow! We hope to see you there!