Parent Update – April 10, 2013
8TH GRADERS ENJOY EXCITING AND EDUCATIONAL JOURNEY TO OUR NATION’S CAPITOL
8th grade students, staff members and volunteer parent chaperones departed early last Wednesday morning for the annual 8th grade Washington D.C. trip. From Wednesday through Friday (April 3rd – 5th), the students whizzed around the Washington D.C. area getting to see as many sights as possible including: Arlington National Cemetery, the WWII Memorial, the Marine Corps Museum, Mount Vernon, Ford’s Theatre and Peterson House, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the White House, the Capitol building, the Vietnam Veteran Memorial, the Korean Memorial, Gettysburg National Battlefield and Shanksville Memorial – just to name a few!
Pictured at right: Arlington National Cemetery wreath presentation ceremony. OFMS students earned the privilege to lay the wreath at The Tomb of the Unknowns by winning an essay contest. The presenters were Ray Benisek (front left) Olivia Safady (front right), Alex Kho (back left) and Caleb Prante (back right).
Many thanks to the staff members and volunteer chaperones, who accompanied students on this exciting and educational journey. To view additional photos and details from the trip, please click HERE.
REMINDER: OFHS SPRING PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES – TOMORROW, THURSDAY. APRIL 11TH!
OFHS Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for TOMORROW, Thursday, April 11th from 3:30 to 6:00 p.m. The High School will be utilizing an open format for this year’s spring conferences. This means that all teachers will host conference sessions in their classrooms continuously from 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. (Please note that the 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. time has been updated and differs from the time frame printed in the District’s annual PTA Activities Calendar.) Parents will not need to call in advance to schedule specific appointment times. Rather, parents can come anytime between 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. and proceed directly to the classroom(s) of the teacher(s) with whom you would like to conference. A listing of your student’s teachers can be found in your PowerSchool Parent Access account. Parents can expect to spend approximately 10 minutes with each teacher to discuss student progress and performance. Please contact the High School office at 427-6100 with any questions.
Congratulations to OFMS student Jake Dahlinger, who competed last Friday, April 5th at the state Geography Bee in Columbus.
Jake represented Olmsted Falls proudly and did extraordinary well!
OFHS SOPHOMORE COMPLETES EAGLE SCOUT PROJECT AT MIDDLE SCHOOL
Tim Fox, a sophomore at Olmsted Falls High School recently completed his Eagle Scout Project. Along with other members of his troop, Tim built, stained, and installed 3 wooden benches at Olmsted Falls Middle School. These benches were placed in each of the three courtyards at the Middle School. Thanks to Tim and his Boy Scout Troop members for creating beautiful seating to enjoy the gardens at the Middle School!
To view the other two benches, please click here.
OLMSTED FALLS SCHOOL DISTRICT PARTNERS WITH SURROUNDING DISTRICTS TO RAISE AWARENESS OF PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSE – SPECIAL EVENT THIS MONDAY, APRIL 15TH AT WESTLAKE PERFORMING ART CENTER
Olmsted Falls City Schools has joined forces with Berea City School District, Avon Lake School District and Westlake City School District to co-sponsor a play, title “Legally Addicted,” that raises awareness of prescription drug abuse. This powerful event is presented by Your Teen for Parents, and also sponsored by Recovery Resources, Community Challenge and the Westshore Enforcement Bureau Narcotics Task Force.
The play performance will be held at Westlake Performing Arts Center, 27830 Hilliard Blvd, Westlake, Ohio on Monday, April 15th from 7:00 p.m. – 7:40 p.m. Following the play, there will be a panel discussion. To view the event flyer, please click here. To register, please click here.
All Olmsted Falls High School and Middle School students and their parents are invited and encouraged to attend.
OLMSTED FALLS ALUMNUS CONTINUES GREAT POLE VAULT FEATS
2009 OFHS graduate Katie Nageotte won the indoor Division II National Championship in the Pole Vault on March 8th. The event was held in Birmingham, Alabama. This was Katie’s first national championship of her career in the pole vault. Her winning mark was 13 feet, 11.25 inches.
In her Bulldog career, she won the State Title in the Pole Vault in 2009, finishing 2nd in 2008, and 6th in 2007.
OPERATION MEDICINE CABINET PARTNERS WITH PTA, OFPD, AND DEA
Saturday, April 27th will mark the 6th nationwide drug take-back day sponsored by the Drug Enforcement Agency at locations across the country participating in Operation Medicine Cabinet. The Olmsted Falls Police Department has again partnered with the DEA and PTA to host this event in our community. Between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm on April 27th please drop off potentially dangerous expired, unused, and unwanted prescription and over-the-counter drugs at the Olmsted Falls Police Department. All items collected will be turned over to the DEA for destruction at a licensed disposal facility. Please pass this information along to your family, neighbors, friends and colleagues.
Through this collection event, we keep these medications out of the hands of curious youth and we keep these medications out of our drinking water supply. Check out the DEA’s website by clicking here and spread the word about collection points in our area.
MEET MR. ACERRA!
Mr. Zack Acerra has been a Bulldog employee for the past seven years and currently serves as a third grade teacher. As a high school student, he was able to volunteer in an elementary classroom and discovered that he enjoys working with younger children.
Mr. Acerra loves being a Bulldog because he feels that he works in an open, comfortable environment where the staff and parents work together to showcase our strengths, as well as help each other through difficult times.
Mr. Acerra and his wife, Allison, were married in 2012. In his spare time, he enjoys listening to music, running marathons, and riding his bicycle.
9TH GRADE ADVANTAGE EVENT GIVES STUDENTS AN EARLY LOOK AT POLARIS
Freshmen interested in attending Polaris as juniors are invited to the 9th Grade Advantage event along with their parents on Thursday, May 2, 2013, from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. During this interactive evening, students and parents are encouraged to explore our career-technical programs through hands-on demonstrations, gain insight into their career interests and talents using 9th grade career interest survey results, take advantage of exciting door prizes and much more! For up-to-date information, visit www.polaris.edu or contact our Enrollment Office at (440) 891-7732.
MASQUERS AND FORENSICS OFFER OPPORTUNITIES TO SHOW SUPPORT
1. Applebee’s, Wednesday, April 24, 2013, from 11am to 9pm. Click here to see flyer.
2. Ruby Tuesday’s, Friday, April 26, 2013, from 11am to 9pm. Click here to see flyer.
3. Chick-Fil-A, Wednesday, May 1, 2013, from 5pm to 7pm, Chick-Fil-A, 4779 Great Northern Blvd. (no Drive-Thru, please)
We hope to see you at one of our fundraisers to support our groups. Thank you for your support!
Post Prom is approaching quickly and the committee has been very busy with details of the event. We know the evening will be memorable for all those who attend. Please get the donations into us quickly through the school office, so we can make the last arrangements for May 18th. Gift cards or monetary gifts are appreciated, just please note student name on outside of envelope. For questions: Gayle Boesken 235-5151
PTA COUNCIL LOOKING FOR THE PTA VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR
The PTA Council is looking for nominations of a PTA member who works on behalf of children. This special person is involved and supports the PTA and has made a positive impact on the lives of children. Anyone interested in nominating a PTA member for Volunteer of the Year should complete the nomination form and turn it in to his/her PTA unit at the April meeting of his/her unit. Each unit will then submit one nomination to the PTA Council.
Please click here to download the Olmsted Falls PTA Council Volunteer of the Year Nomination Form.
OFHS BOYS SOCCER PLAYER / PARENT MEETING – TUESDAY, APRIL 16TH @ 7:30 P.M.
There will be a Player / Parent Meeting Tuesday, April 16, 2013 from 7:30 – 9:00 in the Olmsted Falls High School Library for all boys interested in playing high school soccer in the fall of 2013. All players who are planning on playing soccer for Olmsted Falls High School need to attend with a parent.
If for some reason (club training, soccer game) you cannot attend, please have a parent attend.
Information concerning the summer and up coming season will be discussed.
DON’T MISS OFHS MASQUERS’ SPRING MUSICAL - “GREASE, THE MUSICAL!”
Olmsted Falls High School
April 19 @ 7:30pm
April 20 @ 3:00pm & 7:30pm
Call 440-427-6070 for tickets – $7 Adults, $5 Students/Seniors
Presented by special arrangement with SAMUEL FRENCH, INC. Click here to see the flyer.
SAVE THE DATE – FALLS-LENOX BOOK FAIR NEXT WEEK!!!
Mark your calendars for the annual Falls-Lenox book fair being held the week of April 15th – 19th. The fair will take place in the library during the times listed below:
April 15 and 17 from 3-4 pm (Monday and Wednesday)
April 16 and 18 from 6-8 pm (Tuesday and Thursday)
April 16th will be the family night event including an ice cream social! Stop by and purchase a bowl of ice cream before you shop!!
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Lori Surtman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
OLMSTED FALLS ACADEMIC TEAM (OFAT) FUNDRAISER, THIS SATURDAY, APRIL 13, 8 – 10 P.M. @ RAZZLES
A fundraiser to support the Olmsted Falls Academic Team (OFAT) will be held at Razzles THIS Saturday, April 13, 8-10 p.m. Raffles with great items from OF merchants, sideboards, and more! Families welcome! Kids under 6 FREE. $20 tickets available from OFAT members, coaches, or at door. Or contact Anne Mendenhall at email@example.com; 440-234-7964. Did you know our academic team has already qualified 2 teams to compete at the National Tournament in Atlanta! They need our help to offset travel expenses. To learn how you or your company can get involved in supporting this event, contact Anne Mendenhall at firstname.lastname@example.org; 440-234-7964. Thanks to our Sponsors (as of April 1, 2013): AmeriPrint, Angelina’s Pizza, Artist Colony, A Time to Spa, CSM & JLK, LLC (formerly Backstage Day Spa), Clementines, Falls Family Restaurant, Falls Ice Cream, Falls PC Clinic, Jorgensen’s Apiary, Moosehead Hoof & Ladder, The Olde Wine Cellar, Shaker’s IGA, Tony K’s Bar & Grill
SEEKING ENTRIES FOR OFHS ART SHOW IN MAY
The Annual OFHS May Show is Friday May 10, 2013. Again, we are looking for work for the show from Olmsted Falls Alumni, OFCS Faculty and Staff, and Olmsted Falls Community Members. Please complete the entry form and return it to Mariel Krakowiak, at Olmsted Falls High School, by Friday May 3. Contact Mariel Krakowiak with any questions: email@example.com. To download the entry form, please click here.
OLMSTED FALLS ATHLETIC BOOSTERS’ ANNUAL NIGHT AT THE RACES EVENT – SAT., APRIL 20TH!
A fun-filled night is in the works….OFAB’s annual Night at the Races. This year’s event will be held at the German American Club on Saturday, April 20. Food, drink, prizes and horse racing are the evening’s highlights. All the fun begins at 6 p.m. Tickets to attend are $30/person (sold in tables of 8). To inquire about tickets, contact Dave Kurz at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 440-263-0051. Act fast, this event traditionally sells out!
A successful Night at the Races is contingent upon the support of our families, community and surrounding businesses. Here’s how you can help make one of OFAB’s biggest fundraisers a huge success: Donate Merchandise, Purchase an Advertisement for our Program, and/or Purchase a Horse. For additional information on how you or your company can get involved in supporting this event, please visit www.ofathleticboosters.org.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUPPORT! SEE YOU APRIL 20TH!
HELPING HANDS TO HOST 1ST ANNUAL 5K & 1/4 MILE WALK – REGISTER BY MAY 10TH
Helping Hands will be hosting their first 5K & 1/4 Mile Walk to promote “Disability Awareness” within the community. We are supporting all “special needs/disabilities” with this event…you can decide what you will run/walk for! There will also be a raffle after the 5K. Proceeds will go towards a scholarship to a graduating Helping Hands senior, a donation to the Helping Hands Relay for Life Team, and some money will be used to fund future Helping Hands events.
People of all ability levels are encouraged to participate. The 1/4 Mile Walk on the track is available for those participants that may not be able to complete and entire 5K (assistive equipment is permitted). The attached registration form has all the specific details for the event. Pre-registration is due back to me by Friday May 10.
Please click HERE to download and print the registration form, and share it with your students, family, and friends.
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting information about a school or school-connected organization’s fundraising event, you will need to make sure that you have completed and submitted the District’s official Fundraising Form. Once your event has been approved, we will be happy to post/promote the information on the Weekly Blog Update. To download a copy of the Fundraising Form, please click here.
RAILROAD TRACKS BY GRAND PACIFIC JUNCTION CLOSED THIS WEEK!
Detour signs will be posted.
- UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:OLMSTED FALLS CLASS OF ’83 TO HOLD ITS 30 YEAR REUNION THIS SUMMER! - The Olmsted Falls Class of ’83 will be hosting its 30th Reunion this summer on August 10 at 7:00 p.m. Saturday’s event will consist of cocktails and heavy hors d’oeuvres on the Patio of Panini’s in Westlake. Please click here for the invite. If you have any questions or would like to attend our next planning meeting, please contact Kathy (Walsh) Payne at email@example.com or Deb (Lloyd) Henton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MEET JACK GANTOS: AUTHOR VISIT, THIS SATURDAY, APRIL 13, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., NORTH OLMSTED MIDDLE SCHOOL, 27351 BUTTERNUT RIDGE ROAD – Jack Gantos is the acclaimed author of the Rotten Ralph and Joey Pigza series; Hole in My Life, a memoir that won the Michael L. Printz and Robert F. Sibert honors; and Dead End in Norvelt, the 2012 Newbery Medalist. Books will be available for purchase and signing courtesy of the Friends of the North Olmsted Library and Mac’s Backs – Books on Coventry. Registration is required. To register, click here or call 440.777.6211. To view the flyer, click here.
- ARTIST DETECTIVES – MINIATURE PAINTING WORKSHOP, THIS SATURDAY, APRIL 13, 2:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M., OLMSTED FALLS LIBRARY – Little is known about miniature art…no pun intended! Explore and uncover interesting facts about the life and art of miniature artist, Oliver Frazer, then create your own mini painting in this Artist Detectives Painting Workshop conducted by professional artist and author JoAnn DePolo. Grades 6-12. Registration is required. Please click here for more info and to register.
- OLMSTED COMMUNITY SUMMER LEAGUE 2013 OPEN REGISTRATION – Summer Community Baseball & Softball for all ages, Kindergarten – Adult. NEW! OCSL is partnering with Olmsted Community Center to provide information and online registrations at www.olmstedcc.com. Register in person at OCC or mail your registration form and payment to: OCSL ℅ OCC, 8170 Mapleway Drive, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138. Last day to register is April 15, 2013. All Late registrations will add $20/player late fee & only accepted as needed. NEW! Men’s Adult Softball (ages 18+) – All games played locally on Sunday mornings. Please consider sharing your time and talents with OCSL. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED – Coaches, League Reps & more. UMPIRES NEEDED – Great summer job (ages 11+) SPONSORS NEEDED – Inexpensive local advertising.
- AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MILITARY COMPTROLLERS (ASMC) SHAMROCK RUN, 5 KILOMETER RACE/1 MILE WALK, SATURDAY, APRIL 20TH, 9:00 A.M. – All proceeds benefit the Wounded Warrior Project and the St. Augustine Hunger Center. To view the flyer, please click here or click here for the web site.
TENNIS FUN! KIDS TENNIS LESSONS & ADULT CARDIO TENNIS, SUNDAYS – APRIL 21, 28, & May 5, 12, 2:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M., OFHS TENNIS COURTS, 26939 BAGLEY ROAD - For ages 7 & up. Questions? Please call 440-567-6910 or email Championstennis1@aol.com. To view the flyer, please click here.
- STAND UP AMPUTEE BASKETBALL, AMP1 vs BALDWIN WALLACE, WEDNESDAY, APRIL 24, 7:00 P.M., BALDWIN WALLACE URSPRUNG GYMNASIUM – The game benefits Youth Challenge and raises awareness about the physical capabilities of amputees when equipped with high performance prosthetics. To view the flyer, please click here. For more information, please contact Leimkuehler, Inc. at 216-651-7788
- WEST SHORE FAMILY YMCA ACTIVITIES, SPRING SESSIONS APRIL 29 – JUNE 6, 1575 COLUMBIA ROAD, WESTLAKE – Check out the West Shore YMCA for Spring Aquatics and Youth Sports. Click here for more info.
- AMAZING MAGIC SHOW BY MAGIC MIKE PRODUCTIONS AT OLMSTED COMMUNITY CENTER - FRIDAY, APRIL 26th – 6:00 p.m. – Family and Kids Magic & Illusion Show; 8:30 p.m.: Trick-a-Nosis - Adult Magic, Illusion, Hypnosis & Comedy Show; Doors Open at 5:15 p.m. with kids activities, Interactive Photobooth by inFocus, concessions and more. Get your tickets now! Get more information and order online at www.olmstedcc.com. To view the flyer, please click here.
DISNEY’S THE LITTLE MERMAID, JR., OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS YOUTH THEATER, APRIL 12th – 21st, WITH SHOWS ON FRIDAYS AT 7:00 P.M., SATURDAY’S AT 2:00 P.M. & SUNDAYS AT 2:00 P.M. - Advance tickets are $11-15 at www.olmstedperformingarts.com. Worlds of Fantasy boutique is open before each show. Makeover and a snack. $25 first child; $20 each additional child. Get details and make a reservation (required) at www.olmstedperformingarts.com.
- WORLDS OF FANTASY, MAY 3-11 WITH SHOWS ON FRIDAYS AT 7:00 P.M. SATURDAYS AT 2:00 – 7:00 P.M., AND SUNDAY AT 2:00 P.M. - Join Olmsted Performing Arts and take a magical journey to Fantasyland for Rapunzel’s coronation. You will enjoy singing and dancing by Cinderella, Jasmine, Tinkerbell, Belle, Ariel, and more, and then meet the princesses with photo and autograph opportunities. Tickets $12-18. Worlds of Fantasy Boutique open before each show. Makeover and a snack. $25 first child; $20 each additional. Details and reservation at www.olmstedperformingarts.com.
- DARA HOSTA OLMSTED SPIRIT 5K RACE/WALK, SUNDAY MAY 5 – Run, walk, or just be part of the fun! All registered participants receive a free raffle ticket for a chance to win a prize. Please click here for more info, the list of prizes, and the registration form. All proceeds go directly for college scholarships for Olmsted Falls students.
- BARK FOR LIFE EVENT, MAY 25th, 9:00 A.M., IN FRONT OF OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Olmsted Falls Relay for Life is hosting a Bark for Life event on Saturday, May 25, 2013. The 1 mile walk takes place in front of the Middle School with registration starting at 9:00 AM; the event lasting from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM. There is a $10 registration fee per dog; $5 for a 2nd dog. Dogs will receive a Bark for Life bandana. The event also includes many booths, games, and activities! Attention Middle School Students: Also attending this event will be the stars of eighth grader Julia Montgomery’s running Paw Print Newspaper column known as “The Chronicles of Murphy.” Come and meet the dogs, Murphy and Bernie! Please contact Miss Kristen Rupp at (440) 427-6258, email@example.com for more details or to register.