Parent Update – May 15, 2013
ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION FORM DEADLINE IS JUNE 15TH
For those parents needing to designate a single, alternate pick-up / drop-off address for their student for the 2013-2014 school year, the deadline for submitting Alternate Transportation Forms is June 15, 2013. Please click HERE for additional information and to access Alternate Transportation Forms for the 2013-2014 school year. Please call the Transportation office at 427-6350 with any questions.
OLMSTED FALLS HIGH SCHOOL LISTED IN NEWSWEEK’S TOP 2000
Congratulations to Olmsted Falls High School for making this year’s Newsweek list of “America’s Best High Schools.” This year’s ranking highlights the best 2,000 public high schools in the nation – according to Newsweek, “those that have proven to be most effective at turning out college-ready grads.” Olmsted Falls ranks #1620 on this prestigious list and is among just 77 high schools in the state of Ohio to make the list. Explore Newsweek’s list in its entirety by clicking HERE. Read local media coverage including Olmsted Falls High School by clicking HERE.
STUDENTS SHOWCASE VISUAL & PERFORMING ARTS TALENTS IN POPULAR SPRING EVENTS
OFIS Spring Band Concert – TONIGHT, Wednesday, May 15th @ 6:30 p.m.
OFHS Spring Pops Concert – TOMORROW, Thursday, May 16th @ 7:30 p.m.
OFMS Spring Band Concerts – Wed., May 22nd @ 6:30 p.m. & 8:00 p.m.
OFHS ALUMNUS ADVANCED TO SEMI-FINALS ON JEOPARDY!
Be sure to tune in TONIGHT at 7:30 p.m. (Ch. 19) to watch Jim as he competes in the semi-finals! Go Jim!! Go Bulldogs!
INVITATION TO THE OFHS CLASS OF 2013 GRAND MARCH
The Olmsted Falls Post Prom Committee invites the community to attend the Class of 2013 Grand March THIS SATURDAY, May 18th at 4 p.m. in the Olmsted Falls High School auditorium. It’s a chance to see all the students in their prom attire. They will be announced individually, in couples or groups of friends as they walk across the stage. Parents, family and friends are invited to attend and photograph them at this event. The event is free of charge.
FALLS-LENOX STUDENT INSPIRED BY AUTHOR MO WILLEMS
Willems is the famous author of many popular children’s books such as Knufflebunny, Don’t let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and the Elephant and Piggie series.
Miss Sanfilippo’s entire first grade class was thrilled to receive a letter in return!
TUNE IN MONDAY TO HEAR OFHS COMPETE FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE SCHOLASTIC GAMES OF LORAIN COUNTY
The OFHS Academic Team can be heard competing for the Scholastic Games of Lorain County Championship this Monday, May 20th at 6:05 p.m. on WEOL 930AM. Be sure to listen and hear our award-winning team in action.
Podcasts will also be available on the WEOL website and can be accessed anytime after it has aired. To access the podcasts of aired matches, please click here.
DISTRICT TO SURVEY COMMUNITY BY PHONE
Beginning this Monday, May 20th, a random telephone survey will be conducted to collect information from residents about their thoughts and opinions regarding the Olmsted Falls School District. These important phone surveys will be conducted by professionals from Triad Research Group, a local Cuyahoga County company based in Rocky River. Each phone survey will take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. As a District resident and a parent, your thoughts and opinions are very important to us. We hope you will consider participating should your phone be among the random numbers called. ** Please Note: Caller IDs will show local number (440) 628-7616 for the incoming survey calls. ** Should you have any questions about the upcoming community survey about Olmsted Falls Schools, please contact the Board Office at 427-6000.
OFHS STUDENTS SEND THOUGHTS TO FELLOW BULLDOGS
Students and staff at Olmsted Falls High School gathered in the gym last week for a special group photo to send their thoughts and well wishes to five fellow students involved in a serious car accident early last week. Four students remain hospitalized and one has been released. OFHS Principal Holly Schafer personally delivered a framed photo, inscribed with the message “Our Bulldogs Are In Our Thoughts,” for students and their families at the hospital last week. Please continue to keep our students in your thoughts in the days and weeks ahead. Community members are planning a fundraiser for the families in mid-June. Please watch the community events section of this blog for details to come.
HIGH SCHOOL HOSTS ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL MAY SHOW!
Olmsted Falls High school held its annual May Art Show last Friday featuring work by students, alumni, staff, and community members. A large variety of visual arts, photography, and product manufacturing pieces were on display as students and visitors toured the show, held in the gymnasium, throughout the day. As always, the special booth exhibits created by Olmsted Falls seniors were a real treat to explore! Kudos to our graduating bulldogs and all of the show participants for their creativity and talent!
A special thank you to Olmsted Falls Kiwanis Club which sponsors the May Show! To view additional photos from this year’s May Show, please click HERE.
RETIRED STAFF GATHER FOR ANNUAL SPRING LUNCHEON
Olmsted Falls Schools Endowment and Alumni Association hosted its annual Retired Staff Spring Luncheon last week. Retired Bulldog staff members attended the annual event, held at Moosehead, and enjoyed the opportunity to catch up with former colleagues. Superintendent Dr. Todd Hoadley also attended, expressing heartfelt thanks to the group for their role in creating and maintaining the District’s tradition of excellence. The group was also introduced to the next Superintendent of Olmsted Falls Schools, Dr. Jim Lloyd, who also made remarks. To view photos from this year’s Spring Luncheon event for retired staff, please click HERE.
Did You Know? Olmsted Falls retired staff members contribute to a scholarship fund to benefit graduating OFHS seniors. Last year, their scholarship fund reached the $10,000 mark and officially became an endowed scholarship.
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS CELEBRATE THE 1st OLMSTED FALLS SPANISH SPIRIT WEEK!
During the week of April 29th, teachers and students of Spanish celebrated the first Spanish Spirit Week at Olmsted Falls High School. Each day, the Spanish students participated in an activity to celebrate the Spanish language and culture. On Monday, students gathered in Mrs. Soto-Kacik’s room to watch the film, “Stand and Deliver.” The school was filled with red and gold clothing on Tuesday to represent the colors of the Spanish Honor Society who sponsored the week’s activities. On Wednesday, students and staff gathered in the gymnasium after school to learn Latin dance moves taught by talented instructors from The Latin Soul Dance Studio. Everyone enjoyed learning to dance the salsa and merengue! The most popular activity took place after school on Thursday afternoon. Students played an intense game of soccer. Several classmates and faculty members came to watch and to cheer their classmates on to a big Spanish fútbol victory! The week wrapped up with authentic cuisine in Spanish classes and at local Mexican restaurants to celebrate the Cinco de Mayo holiday.
OLE! FOR OFMS ADAPTED PHYSICAL EDUCATION CLASS
Last week, Mrs. Radigan’s Adapted Physical Education class at OFMS celebrated Cinco de Mayo in style with “Food, Fun, and the Mexican Hat Dance.” Clothing and accessories for the students and ingredients to make authentic Mexican food were purchased through the NEOEA’s “Food for the Soul” grant, which is awarded to teachers that propose a cultural diversity project. The class also read a story about the history of the Mexican Hat Dance, and then performed the dance. Everyone enjoyed this wonderful cross curricular activity!
BULLDOG SUMMER SPORTS CAMP INFORMATION & REGISTRATION FORMS AVAILABLE ON DISTRICT WEBSITE
A listing of 2013 Bulldog Summer Sports Camps put on by the Olmsted Falls Athletic Department has just been added to the District website. The list includes camp dates, registration deadlines, contact information, and links to individual camp information and registration forms.
Please click HERE for the latest 2013 Bulldog Summer Sports Camp information.
SAFETY TOWN 2013 SPONSORED BY THE OLMSTED EARLY CHILDHOOD PTA
Do you have a child starting Kindergarten in the fall? If so, Safety Town is a child accident prevention program for incoming kindergarteners. It is a program that introduces safety awareness and preventative procedures to the children. Children practice real life situations before being confronted with situations on their own. Safety Town is the foundation of safety education.
Safety Town in Olmsted Falls and Olmsted Township is organized through the Olmsted Early Childhood PTA, a non-profit organization consisting of volunteers who seek to unite home, school and the Olmsted community in promoting education, health and safety of children, youth and families. Children who attend will practice safety “out on the town” in a miniaturized city layout designed to teach children safety near roads, railroad crossings, while on their bikes or walking in their neighborhood. Videos, songs and lessons with visits from local Police, Fire and Bus Departments as well as field trips to Police and Fire Departments, all help your child enjoy and understand what he or she is learning. Please click here to find out more and to register.
6TH ANNUAL MIDDLE SCHOOL PTA CALENDAR RAFFLE – GET YOURS TODAY!
Help support the Middle School PTA by purchasing an entry in our 6th Annual Calendar Raffle. For $5.00 you are entered for a chance to win 31 days of great prizes. We will pull a different winner every day and a list of winners will be posted on this blog. You may enter as many times as you like. Winners will be announced weekly – it is not too late to get your calendar!!
Entry forms and cash or a check (made out to MS PTA) can be turned in at any of the school main offices. Take a chance. We have Monsters tickets, a birthday bowling party at Fairview Lanes along with many other great prizes. You can download a copy of the calendar by clicking here.
Entry form must be returned with money to your school office in an envelope marked OFMS PTA Calendar Raffle to be eligible. Checks should be made payable to OFMS PTA. Entries can be added to the drawing pool throughout the month, however entries will not be eligible for to be included in the drawings until your official payment / entry form has been received.
Congratulations to this week’s winners in the Middle School PTA calendar raffle. Thanks again to all that participated.
May 8 Michelle Bauer – Bulldog Spiritwear
May 9 Laurie Demchak – Cold Stone Creamery Gift Card
May 10 Mary Goetz – 2 Tickets to the Great Lakes Science Center
May 11 Jillian Scott – Swings N Things Mini golf coupons
May 12 Becky Milligan – Wine tasting gift card and an Entertainment Book
May 13 Rebecca Schuff – 2 tickets to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame
May 14 Kristie Marion – Uncle John’s Plant Farm Gift Card
More winners will be posted next week.
CASE WESTERN RESERVE DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY OFFERING FREE “GIRLS LINK” PROGRAM FOR LOCAL MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRLS
“Girls Link” is a five-session series of group meetings being offered locally at the North Olmsted branch of the Cuyahoga County Public Library through the Department of Psychology at Case Western Reserve. Girls ages 10-14, enrolled in Middle School, are encouraged to participate. The “Girls Link” meetings at the North Olmsted Library are scheduled for Tuesday nights, June 25, July 2, July 9, July 16 & July 23, from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. “Girls Link” is a prevention program that encourages girls to make new friends and feel more connected to others her age through peer support and skill-building strategies. For additional information, please click HERE for a flyer and HERE for a brochure. Call and enroll today!
CHECK OUT THE LIBRARY FOR MANY FUN SUMMER PROGRAMS
The Olmsted Falls library has many exciting opportunities this summer, including four Kindergarten readiness programs to get our little ones ready for the new school year and two camps for children and teens. For a complete listing of all the programs, please click here.
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting information about a school or school-connected organization’s fundraising event, you will need to make sure that you have completed and submitted the District’s official Fundraising Form. Once your event has been approved, we will be happy to post/promote the information on the Weekly Blog Update. To download a copy of the Fundraising Form, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- DOCUMENT SHREDDING, THIS SATURDAY, MAY 18, 9:00 A.M. – NOON, FALLS-LENOX ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, 26450 BAGLEY ROAD – Olmsted Falls and Olmsted Township will again be joining forces with New Hope Specialized Services to provide no-cost to residents document shredding. Please click here for more information.
PANCAKE BREAKFAST, THIS SUNDAY, MAY 19, 8:00 A.M. – NOON, OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS CENTER, 6941 COLUMBIA ROAD, OLMSTED FALLS – Olmsted Performing Arts and the Kiwanis Club of Olmsted Falls are putting on a Pancake Breakfast. The proceeds will benefit the Kiwanis Club and the Olmsted Performing Arts Gymnastics program. Advance tickets are $6, and advance Senior tickets are $5. Add $1 at the door. Children under age 3 are free. To purchase advance tickets, please see a member of the Kiwanis Club, stop by the Olmsted Performing Arts Center, or call 440-235-6722.
- LOCAL RELAY FOR LIFE YOUTH TEAM HOSTING RELAY BENEFIT CONCERT IN PARMA – FRIDAY, MAY 24th @ 8:00 P.M. – The Fighting For A Cure Relay for Life Youth Team (led by Stephanie Kollar) is holding a Relay Benefit Concert fundraiser at the Rock City Tap House in Parma. Doors open at 8:00 p.m. and tickets are $8 each for the all-ages show featuring local Cleveland area bands including Burning Down Broadway, C-Level, Nick Wilkinson and the Featured Players, and The Frodis Capers (a Monkeys tribute band). All are welcome to attend this special fundraiser event benefitting Olmsted Falls Relay for Life!
- DINE & DONATE TO SUPPORT ROBBY’S VOICE – Friday, May 31st through Saturday, June 1st – LONE STAR STEAKHOUSE IN NORTH OLMSTED – Invite Family, Friends and Neighbors to Lone Star Steakhouse in North Olmsted, Ohio on Friday, May 31st through Saturday, June 1st. Lone Star will donate 15% of full priced items back to Robby’s Voice. Flyer must be presented when you dine. We sincerely appreciate your support! Please click here for the flyer.
- WESTVIEW SWIM TEAM - Looking for a fun, physical activity to get your child off the couch and computer this summer? The Westview Swim Team is open to children aged 4 to 18 who are residents of Olmsted Falls/Township AND can swim. We teach competitive swim strokes and compete in meets from June 1 to July 24. We emphasize sportsmanship, teamwork and self-esteem. Many swimmers have gone on to swim competitively in high school and college, earning scholarships and building self-discipline. Kids LOVE our awesome events like Donut Fridays, Swim-a-Thon, secret swimmer and Awards Banquet with pool party! www.whoaconnect.org or contact Catherine Davis @ 440- 427-0514 for additional information.
- RELAY FOR LIFE – SAVE THE DATE: The 4th Annual Relay For Life will be held June 8th- June 9th at Olmsted Falls High School. The event begins at 3 p.m. this year! Please help us to Color Out Cancer With A Rainbow Of Hope! Enjoy 18 hours of fun, games, live entertainment, and fireworks! A great FAMILY EVENT! Join us for the opening lap at 3 p.m. – we will be celebrating the survivors of cancer in our community! The Luminaria (candle remembrance) Ceremony is unexplainable….don’t miss it at 9! Luminaria will be followed by an amazing fireworks display and more fun all night long! Getting hungry?? There will be another famous Kiwanis breakfast in the morning. This year’s event is 18 hours and will be attended by thousands of participants and community members! Come see how you can make a difference and help create a world with more birthdays! Visit www.relayforlife.org/olmstedfalls for more information!
- 40th ANNUAL PHIL BOVA BASEBALL CAMP 2013, JUNE 17 – 21, 8:15 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., WESTLAKE RECREATION OUTDOOR BASEBALL FIELD, 28955 HILLIARD BLVD. - Experience Your Own Spring Training! High School, College and Professional Instructors with over 200 Years of Experience · Camp Ratio 1 to 8. Every phase of the game will be unveiled: Our staff will prepare your son for the next level! Daily Games · Individual Drills $235 per camper includes: Hot Lunch Daily · Camp T-Shirt & Hat · Written Evaluation · Individual Color Photo · Awards Ceremony. TEAM DISCOUNTS!!!! Sign up 10 or more kids and receive $35 off per camper! For Registration, Medical Forms and Discounts, visit our Website at: www.bovacamps.com or call 440-779-1390 Named #1 Baseball Camp of it’s kind in NE Ohio!
- OLMSTED FALLS 2013 LACROSSE SEASON IS HERE! - The Olmsted Falls Lacrosse Association would like to invite the community to check out a home game between now and the end of the season in early June. There are both boys and girls teams – the games are non-stop action and a lot of fun to watch! Home games are played in the field behind OFIS or the field behind OFMS parking lot. The newest teams are the High School JV Girls and Boys, who are doing a great job representing Olmsted Falls against teams from Rocky River, Westlake, Avon Lake, Beachwood, Strongsville, Medina, Brunswick, St. Ignatius, Hudson, and Bay! Check out game schedules by clicking here. If you’d like to see photos of the games, click here to access OF LAX’s facebook page.