Parent Update – August 22, 2012
Volunteers and staff working together are the key to first day success!
Please click here for some first day photos from Falls-Lenox Primary School.
IMPORTANT TRANSPORTATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
The Olmsted Falls Transportation Department would like to remind parents of the following as we begin the new school year:
* Scheduled pick-up times provided on bus postcards are approximate based on the student roster as of the time the routes were made.
* Pick-up/Drop-off times may vary during the first 2-3 weeks of school due to additional or withdrawn students (and therefore more or less stops).
* Weather conditions, road construction, traffic and train delays can also impact pick-up times.
* Routes can run slower for the first week or so of school.
OFHS STUDENTS BRIGHTEN DISTRICT SIGNAGE
IMPORTANT BACK-TO-SCHOOL EVENTS
4th Grade Open House – Tomorrow – Thursday, August 23rd @ 7:00 p.m.
First Day for Kindergarten Students – Friday, August 24th
Preschool Orientation – Friday, August 24th
Falls-Lenox Open House for WEST Learning Community – Monday, August 27th@ 7:00 p.m.
Falls-Lenox Open House for EAST Learning Community – Tuesday, August 28th @ 7:00 p.m.
5th Grade Open House – Wednesday, August 29th @ 7:00 p.m.
Falls-Lenox Open House for SOUTH Learning Community – Thursday, August 30th @ 7:00 p.m.
OFHS Open House – Thursday, August 30th @ 7:00 p.m.
Please click on the links below for a summary of all important back to school events by building:
Early Childhood Center (Preschool & Kindergarten)
Falls-Lenox Primary School (Grades 1-3)
Olmsted Falls Intermediate School (Grades 4-5)
Olmsted Falls Middle School (Grades 6-8)
Olmsted Falls High School (Grades 9-12)
EMPLOYEES HONORED FOR YEARS OF SERVICE
District officials recognized employees for their years of service to the District during the annual General Staff Meeting held Tuesday, August 21st. Employees with 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 35 “Bulldog years” were acknowledged for their contributions to the District’s success. Congratulations to all and thank you for your service!
“20 Year Bulldogs” Karen Gommel (Falls-Lenox), Gale Novak (Falls-Lenox), Jill Saracina (Middle School), Sharon Stanczak (Intermediate) and Lisa Whitney (High School); not pictured is Pamela O’Conke (Transportation).
“25 Year Bulldogs” Debra Gordon (Transportation) and Mike Paul (Middle School); not pictured is John Holzworth (Intermediate).
“30 Year Bulldogs” Jim Ryan (High School) and Cheryl Keith (Falls-Lenox)
“35 Year Bulldog” Kathy Dean (Middle School)
WEB PROGRAM HELPS WELCOME 6TH GRADERS TO MIDDLE SCHOOL
Seventy-eight eighth graders served as WEB leaders for the Where Everyone Belongs program put on for incoming sixth graders. WEB leaders applied and were selected to participate at the end of last year. Each went through two days of special WEB training last week. The WEB Orientation Program was held August 20th with more than 350 sixth graders attending. (Click here for photos!) The day began with an assembly in the Middle School gym, which included activities with the new sixth graders and the WEB leaders. WEB leaders also took groups of 6th graders to individual classrooms for activities to help get to know each other, challenge teamwork skills and provide advice on being successful in the Middle School. 6th graders also received building tours from WEB Leaders and had an opportunity to find their lockers. The next big WEB activity will be the BBQ and home varsity football game September 21st.
YOUNG BULLDOGS MARCH WITH THE BAND EVENT
Preschoolers and younger siblings of OFHS Marching Band members participated in a special “march with the Bulldog band” event last week. A select group of band members demonstrated their instruments for the group. The “Pride of Olmsted Falls” then marched onto the field playing the fight song! Kids got to pick which student or instrument they wanted to stand by before the alma mater was played. They can’t wait to see their new friends take the field this Friday night! Thanks to the OFHS Marching Band for the memorable experience! For more photos, please click here.
MEET SECOND GRADE TEACHER, MRS. KEMPER!
Mrs. Julie Kemper has been teaching second grade at Falls Lenox for the past eight years. She loves being a Bulldog because she believes that the Bulldog community works together for what is best for our children, and does their best to give them a great education in a wonderful learning environment. Mrs. Kemper decided on a career in education because she loves working with children and wants to help them succeed. She especially enjoys watching the faces of her students when they feel proud of themselves or have achieved their goals. Mrs. Kemper and her husband have two children, Lia (3), and Hayden (4 months). In the little bit of spare time that she does have, she enjoy traveling, hiking, and relaxing!
HERITAGE DAY PARADE
In the annual tradition, Olmsted Falls Board of Education members and District administrators joined the OFHS Marching Band, Bulldog athletes and mascot on the parade route in the Heritage Days Parade held August 16th. Students, families and community members lined the streets for the annual event…and for the candy. Please click here to view our Heritage Parade photo gallery.
NEW FACES IN THE CENTRAL OFFICE
Please join us in welcoming Ann Stricklen (left) to the District’s Personnel Department and Kelly Mendeluk (right) to the Treasurer’s Office.
2012 HOME VARSITY FOOTBALL PRESALE TICKETS
FRIDAY, AUGUST 24TH
FRIDAY, AUGUST 31ST
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21ST
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11TH
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26TH
Adults – $6.00 / Students – $3.00 / Seniors – $3.00
ATHLETIC BOOSTERS PLAN FOOD DRIVE AT SEPT. 21ST HOME FOOTBALL GAME
The Olmsted Falls Athletic Boosters will be conducting a food drive during the home varsity game against Brecksville on September 21st. Items donated will go directly to the Olmsted Falls/Township Food Pantry. This food pantry supports over 150 local families throughout our community that are in need. Please bring any non-perishable food items to the September 21st game. Cash donations will also be accepted at the main concession stand. Thank you in advance for your support.
LIBRARY SEEKS LOCAL STUDENT TO FOR “MURAL MAKING” PROJECT AT NEW OLMSTED FALLS BRANCH
Exciting things have been happening over the summer with the new library building. On July 11th, the Cuyahoga County Library officially broke ground for construction of the new Olmsted Falls Branch located on Mapleway. (Renderings of the new building are now on display at the current branch.) The Cuyahoga County Library has decided to engage youth in the Olmsted Falls community to help plan and build a mural that will be installed in the Children’s and Teen’s areas of the new library. This project – entitled Making History One Piece at a Time – is in collaboration with Young Audiences of Northeast Ohio and local artist Augusto Bordelios. The first planning sessions are on September 11th from 4:30 -5:30 for grades K-5; and September 25th from 4:30-5:30 p.m. grades 6-12. Registration begins on August 29th. Please click here to download the official information flyer.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- OLMSTED FALLS LIBRARY HOSTS SERIES OF EVENTS/PROGRAMS THIS FALL – Our local library has a great series of events scheduled for this fall. Please click here to access the latest fall schedule from Cuyahoga County Public Library.
- OLMSTED FALLS SOCCER REC LEAGUE – REGISTRATION EXTENDED TO THIS SATURDAY, AUGUST 25TH This is a reminder that is not too late to register your child for the Olmsted Falls Soccer REC league. We have extended the soccer registration until August 25nd. You can register online and the fee is $70.00 for the session. Our web site is http://olmstedsoccer.wordpress.com/. The players will practice one night during the week with a game on Saturday between 9:00 – 1:00. Please see the web site for practice times and days. The first game will be September 8th and practices start the week after Labor Day.
- 9th ANNUAL OLMSTED SCHOLARSHIP FUND GOLF OUTING SPONSORED BY THE OLMSTED CHAMBER OF COMMERCE – SATURDAY, AUGUST 30TH AT CREEKWOOD GOLF COURSE IN COLUMBIA STATION – 9:00 a.m. Shotgun Tee-off, Scramble Format. Four hole-in-one contests including $10,000 cash grand prize for hole #4. $80.00 includes golf registration, box lunch, BBQ ribs & chicken dinner. Dinner will be served at 2:00 pm. Register on line at www.olmstedchamber.org. If interested in purchasing dinner only for $25.00 or lunch only for $7.00, or for more information, please contact Cindy Kelly at email@example.com.