Parent Update – September 5, 2012
NEW BLOG GUIDELINES PUT IN PLACE FOR 2012-2013
In an effort to streamline the production of the District’s Weekly Blog Update, we have established guidelines for content submission for the current 2012-2013 school year. We look forward to continuing to report each week on all of the great news coming out of our District! Please click here to view the new Guidelines.
TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT PRESENTS BUS RIDER SAFETY PROGRAM
Students at the ECC, Falls-Lenox and St. Mary of the Falls (grades K-3) are participating in an important Bus Rider Safety Program. The program is being presented by Olmsted Falls School District bus drivers Karen Corrigan, Kathy Barber and Joyce Bigley, and helps reinforce important components of bus safety. In addition to reviewing the rules to follow when riding the bus, the drivers also spend a good deal of time on how to safely enter and exit the bus. All participating students got to practice how to exit the bus and properly travel to a point of safety – guided by our outstanding team of drivers each step of the way. To view some photos of today’s Bus Rider Safety Program at the Early Childhood Center, please click here.
NEW LUNCH MENU FORMAT FOR 2012-2013
To accommodate the new food regulations, which went into effect this year, Olmsted Falls School District is transitioning to a new cycle-style menu which will feature a set schedule of menu rotations every four weeks for both breakfast and lunch. The new menus will be available within the next couple of weeks, and will be sent home directly with students in grades K to 8. Menus for OFHS students will be available in the High School cafeteria. Downloads of all menu versions (K-5; 6-8; 9-12) will also be available on-line. Parents and staff members in search of the current menus can access September 2012 menus for all buildings by clicking here.
OFHS MARCHING BAND TO “KICK IT WITH KENNY” ON FOX 8 THIS FRIDAY!
The Olmsted Falls High School Marching Band will be featured on the Fox 8 Morning Show “Kickin’ It With Kenny” at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum THIS FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7th. The band will play from 6:45 a.m. until about 9:00 a.m. Check the blog next week for a link to the special segment. Following their on-air performance, students will get to participate in a one-hour educational program followed by a tour of the Rock Hall.
Mrs. Shannon Goss has been a school psychologist for the Olmsted Falls City School District for the past five years. Prior to her hiring in Olmsted Falls, Mrs. Goss worked as the Director of the Portage County Homeless Shelter and as a legal advocate for a battered women’s shelter. Through her work in non-profit organizations, she saw first-hand how children were impacted. These experiences inspired her to become a school psychologist. Mrs. Goss’ favorite thing about being a Bulldog is her belief that everyone in the district takes his/her work seriously and performs it with pride. She believes that the attitude among the staff members allows us to give our best, and in turn, get the best out of the students. Mrs. Goss and her husband have two children, Josie and Carly, and are expecting their third girl around Halloween. In her spare time, she works on her Ph.D dissertation, and enjoys reading and spending time with her family.
OFMS and the Olmsted Falls Drug Mart will be sponsoring a cookout THIS SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH, from 11:00-2:00 PM. Everyone is invited to come to Drug Mart for a free cookout and eat hot dogs, chips, and Pepsi. All donations will benefit the 8th grade trip to Washington DC in the form of scholarships. To view the informational flyer, please click here. Thank you for your support!
OPEN HOUSE EVENT TOMORROW NIGHT AT OFMS
8th Grade Open House – TOMORROW NIGHT, Thursday, September 6th @ 7:00 p.m.
ECC OPEN HOUSE EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR NEXT THURSDAY, SEPT. 12TH
A.M. Preschool/Kindergarten: 6:45 – 7:15 p.m.
P.M. Preschool/Kindergarten: 7:45 – 8:15 p.m.
* Please note the different session times for A.M. and P.M. students.
Thank you to parents, faculty, staff and administrators for making all of this year’s Open House events across the District a success!
DON’T FORGET TO PURCHASE YOUR BULLDOG SPIRIT WEAR!
REMINDER: Olmsted Falls Middle School PTA spirit wear will be sold at the 8th grade Open House. Order forms are also being sent home this week with Kindergarten through 5th graders. This year, orders are being taken for hooded sweatshirts, t-shirts and pajama bottoms. All orders received by Sept. 10th will be filled and sent home with the child on September 28th. All orders received after Sept 10th will be available for pick up at the Middle School on November 5th and 15th. To download a copy of the order form, please click here.
OFHS YEARBOOKS ARE IN!
REMINDER: The 2011-2012 yearbooks have arrived! Anyone who did not pre-order one can purchase one now! They are $60 and checks can be made payable to OFHS. They can be purchased at lunches during the day in the pit and at the football games on Friday night by the concession stands. You can contact John Gaba at the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org or the number (440) 427-5060. Get them while there’s still some left!
2012 HOME VARSITY FOOTBALL PRESALE TICKETS
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21ST
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11TH
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26TH
Adults – $6.00 / Students – $3.00 / Seniors – $3.00
MORE BULLDOG ITEMS AVAILABLE THAN EVER BEFORE!
The Olmsted Falls Athletic Booster club offers you the widest selection of Bulldog logo’d items than anywhere. Shop for your whole family at home Varsity & JV football and basketball games and other select events and feel good knowing a portion of your purchase helps OFAB and ultimately your athletes!
Items include everything from t-shirts, sweatshirts, pants, jackets, ties, hats, blankets, stadium seats, umbrellas, flags, jewelry, stickers and more! Items at all price points. Apparel in infant to adult sizes available. Shop soon and become one of the best dressed Bulldog fans!
ATHLETIC BOOSTERS PLAN FOOD DRIVE AT SEPT. 21ST HOME FOOTBALL GAME
The Olmsted Falls Athletic Boosters will be conducting a food drive during the home varsity game against Brecksville on September 21st. Items donated will go directly to the Olmsted Falls/Township Food Pantry. This food pantry supports over 150 local families throughout our community that are in need. Please bring any non-perishable food items to the September 21st game. Cash donations will also be accepted at the main concession stand. Thank you in advance for your support.
SAVE THE DATE! SEPTEMBER PTA MEETINGS
Sept. 11th OFMS PTA Meeting
Sept. 13th OECPTA Meeting
Sept. 18th OFIS PTA Meeting
Sept. 24th OFHS PTA Meeting
Sept. 25th Falls-Lenox/ECC PTA Meeting
TOUCHDOWN FOR READING
The touchdown for reading program started on September 1st and Cuyahoga County Public Library is inviting all Olmsted Falls’ students to participate this Fall. The game runs through November 17th for grades K-8.
Score as many touchdowns as you can before the clock runs out for a chance to win great prizes including a party with a Cleveland Browns player for your school!
Participation is just like the summer reading game, but in football terms such as yards and quarters. For more information, please click here.
LIBRARY SEEKS LOCAL STUDENTS FOR “MURAL MAKING” PROJECT AT NEW OLMSTED FALLS BRANCH
Exciting things have been happening over the summer with the new library building. On July 11th, the Cuyahoga County Library officially broke ground for construction of the new Olmsted Falls Branch located on Mapleway. (Renderings of the new building are now on display at the current branch.) The Cuyahoga County Library has decided to engage youth in the Olmsted Falls community to help plan and build a mural that will be installed in the Children’s and Teen’s areas of the new library. This project – entitled Making History One Piece at a Time – is in collaboration with Young Audiences of Northeast Ohio and local artist Augusto Bordelios. The first planning sessions are on September 11th from 4:30 -5:30 for grades K-5; and September 25th from 4:30-5:30 p.m. grades 6-12. Registration begins on August 29th. Please click here to download the official information flyer.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- CLEVELAND CROPS SCHADY ROAD FARM RIBBON CUTTING CEREMONY – THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6TH – 2:00 p.m. Join us as we celebrate the opening of Cuyahoga County’s newest farm. Learn how this unique collaboration will lead to 15 jobs for individuals with developmental disabilities. Parking at SWINGS-N-THINGS, 8501 Stearns Road with shuttle bus to the farm located at 27180 Schady Road. The Farmers Market is onsite Wednesday’s 3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. and Saturday’s 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. To view and print the flyer, please click here.
- DANCING FOR A MIRACLE EVENT – THIS SUNDAY, SEPT. 9TH – 4 P.M. @ Baldwin Wallace University’s John Patrick Theater (95 E. Bagley Road, Berea, 44017) – Join supporters for an afternoon of dancing and singing to benefit Corey Hill, a native Clevelander and successful fitness trainer in New York City who is recovering from a serious elevator accident. Corey grew up in Olmsted Falls and graduated from Baldwin-Wallace College’s music theatre program. Last November, Corey stepped into the elevator of his New York City apartment building, pressed the button for the lobby…and his life changed forever. Corey is recovering from an incomplete spinal cord injury with partial paralysis in both legs due to the accident. Help make Corey’s recovery a little easier and help him get his life back! All net proceeds go directly to Corey Hill’s medical expenses and recovery efforts. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the door. Cash or check only. For more information, e-mail: DancingForAMiracle@gmail.com.
- SATURDAY ACTIVITY NIGHTS – “OVER A DECADE OF FUN FOR KIDS IN THE COMMUNITY” – The Saturday Activity Night (SAN) Program at the Olmsted Community Center is celebrating over a decade of providing fun to Northeast Ohio youth. SAN is open every Saturday during the school year, excluding holidays. Parents can enjoy a night out, while the kids have a blast in our gym with dodgeball, basketball, homerun derby and wacky kickball, and in our make-it-take-it Craft Room with Crazy Carnival Games, where you make crafts and win prizes all night. SAN is fully supervised from 7-10 p.m. for kids ages 8-13. Cost $8.00. IMPORTANT REMINDER: Due to the construction of the new library, the Olmsted Community Center parking lot will be used for a Drop-off & Pick-up lot only. NO parking is permitted. Anyone needing to park and pick up their kids must use the City Hall parking lot or Falls-Lenox parking lot.
- 1ST ANNUAL ROBBY’S VOICE RACE IV AWARENESS – SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2012 @ OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Mail-In and Online registration begins September 14th. – 5K & 1 Mile Walk to raise awareness about drug addiction to help parents, students and our communities live a drug free life. Proceeds benefit Robby’s Voice. All donations are tax deductible. To download official event flyer with registration form, please click here. For additional information or to volunteer, please visit www.robbysvoice.com or contact Race Coordinator Angela Marysiak at email@example.com.