Parent Update – September 12, 2012
DISTRICT PARTICIPATES IN PATRIOT DAY OBSERVANCES
Olmsted Falls School District observed Patriot Day yesterday by flying all building flags at half-staff, in accordance with a proclamation issued by Ohio Governor John R. Kasich. Remembrances, in honor of the innocent people who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, also took place in the District and varied by building. Olmsted Falls High School displayed the words, “We Remember 9 11 01” on their message board. The Board of Education office observed a moment of silence at 8:46 a.m.
PRESCHOOL/KINDERGARTEN OPEN HOUSES TONIGHT!
Our Itty Bitty Bulldogs will have an opportunity to give their families a personal guided tour of their school building at the annual ECC Open House events scheduled for TONIGHT, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12th. Please note the differing start and end times for A.M. and P.M. students:
A.M. Preschool/Kindergarten: 6:45 – 7:15 p.m.
P.M. Preschool/Kindergarten: 7:45 – 8:15 p.m.
Parents: Please remember to bring your calendars and checkbooks, so you can sign up for parent conferences and join the PTA!
MARCHING BAND SPENDS MORNING “KICKIN’ IT WITH KENNY” AT ROCK HALL
The Olmsted Falls High School Marching Band brought Bulldog pride to the Fox 8 Morning Show – and all of Northeast Ohio – last Friday when they were featured on the popular “Kickin’ It With Kenny” segment. The band performed 8 songs as well as numerous short selections with featured groups from the band. The Fox 8 reporters repeatedly said that “this sounds like a college band!” To view highlights from Friday’s appearance, please click here.
Kudos to our band for representing their school and their community so well – Mr. Strelau was contacted by the Rock Hall following the band’s visit and was told, “this is the largest band we have ever had here and there was not one complaint.” Go Bulldogs! Read more about the Marching Band’s visit to the Rock Hall – including photos – by clicking here!
ECC STUDENTS CELEBRATE GRANDPARENTS’ DAY WITH SPECIAL FAMILY EVENT
Last Thursday, September 6th, students at the Preschool at the ECC celebrated Grandparents’ Day by inviting any grandparent that was available to join them at school for a special event. Grandparents in attendance got to share Grandparent books, a snack and time on the new playground!
It was a wonderful day to spend together! To view photos from last week’s Grandparents’ Day event, please click here.
MIDDLE SCHOOL LAUNCHES PROJECT TO ASSESS STUDY SKILLS – PARENT & STUDENT CONSENT FORMS DUE THIS FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14TH
Olmsted Falls Middle School is initiating a project to conduct a study that will help detect and identify students who may need assistance in the area of study skills. Mrs. Shannon Goss, school psychologist for both Olmsted Falls Middle School and Olmsted Falls Early Childhood Center, will oversee the project in collaboration with Kent State University. This is an exciting opportunity which can be of great benefit to students. An information packet was sent home with all Middle School students last Friday. To download a copy of the packet including letters from Principal Mark Kurz and School Psychologist Shannon Goss, and the required parent and student consent forms, please click here.
Don’t miss out on being part of this important study! Please be sure to return your forms by THIS FRIDAY, SEPT. 14TH. All students with forms turned in by Friday, Sept. 14th will be entered into a drawing for a $25 itunes gift card. Any questions? Please contact Mrs. Goss at 427-6214.
FALLS-LENOX STUDENTS ENJOY NEWLY RENOVATED COURTYARD THANKS TO LOCAL EAGLE SCOUT
Many thanks to OFHS junior David Graham who undertook the renovation of a courtyard at Falls-Lenox Primary School for his Eagle Scout project. David and his team were responsible for weeding and cleaning up the courtyard, putting new stones in the path, planting new plants down both sides and renovating the pond area. The new space looks beautiful and the sound of water falling in the pond makes it a great place to visit and learn! Students and staff have been enjoying their new outdoor surroundings! Thanks David! For more photos, please click here.
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
MEET MR. KEVIN CIOLEK!
Mr. Kevin Ciolek has been a teacher in Olmsted Falls for the past ten years. Currently, he teaches Health, Personal Development, Physical Education, and Advanced Physical Education at Olmsted Falls High School. He also serves as the head 9th grade football coach, and has been with the basketball program for the past 19 years; most currently as the assistant varsity coach. His favorite thing about being a Bulldog is watching his own children, Morgan (5th grade), Charlie (3rd grade), Lily (Kindergarten), and Quinn (1 year old) grow up in the community, and being around the kids he teaches and coaches. Mr. Ciolek and his wife, Karen, enjoy taking summer vacations and spending time together as a family in their spare time.
MINI BULLDOG CHEERLEADERS
Last year, over 250 young Bulldogs joined the OFHS Cheerleading squad to cheer on the Bulldog Varsity Football team. Lines of girls followed the lead of Olmsted Falls High School cheerleaders with chants and routines that were learned during the annual Bulldog Mini Cheer Camp program. The program will be offered again this year. Please click here to download the registration form.
OLMSTED EARLY CHILDHOOD PTA AUTUMN ATTIC SALE
The OECPTA will be hosting its first annual “Autumn Attic Resale Event” on Saturday September 29th. It will be held at the Middle School in the cafeteria. Early bird sale 8am-9am $5 and general sale 9am-noon $2. Children’s clothes, toys, gear, maternity, furniture, decor, bedding, etc. will be sold. If you have an interest in selling your gently used baby/kids inventory, here is your opportunity!! We are selling 10′ x 10′ spaces, $25 for members, $30 for non-members. (Tables are available for $10 each, if you are unable to provide your own). It is also open to vendors (ie., Thirty One, Mary Kary, etc.) Sellers keep all profits! Spaces are limited so return your registration today. To view the informational flyer, please click here. For a Registration form, please click here. Check out our website at http://www.oecpta.org/.
OFIS PTA FUNDRAISER – GOT MILK?
Because we have cookies…..cookie dough that is!! Once again this year the OFIS PTA will be selling cookie dough as our annual fundraiser. The profits of this fundraiser pay for all of the great activities the OFIS PTA sponsors, like field trips, assemblies, field day, Right-to-Read Week, the 5th grade luau, and much more!
This fundraiser kicks off on Friday, September 14th and runs through Friday, September 28th. Look for all the information in the students’ backpacks this Friday.
Don’t have a student at OFIS and would like to purchase cookie dough, or have questions or need additional forms? Please contact Linda Parkowski at 440-235-7096 or at JLparkowski@cox.net – there are many cookie dough choices to choose from!
OLMSTED FALLS BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION TRAVEL TEAM TRYOUTS – SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22ND
The Olmsted Falls Basketball Association will hold tryouts for 2 boys teams (for grades 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th) and 2 girls teams (for grades 4th, 5th, 6th) on Saturday, Sept. 22nd at Olmsted Falls High School. The goal of the OFBA Travel Basketball Program is to identify and further develop players in the Olmsted Falls School District (grades 3-6) at a higher level of basketball which prepares them for the Olmsted Falls Middle School and High School Basketball Programs. To download the official OFBA Travel Basketball flyer with tryout times, fees and additional information, please click here.
BAND SENIOR NIGHT & DISTINGUISHED HALL OF FAME INTRODUCTIONS FEATURED AT NEXT FRIDAY’S HOME VARSITY FOOTBALL GAME, SEPT. 21ST
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21st – Brecksville-Broadview Heights; Band Senior Night PREGAME and Distinguished Hall of Fame Introductions after FIRST QUARTER
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11TH – Amherst; Homecoming
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26th – North Olmsted
Adults – $6.00 / Students – $3.00 / Seniors – $3.00
ATHLETIC BOOSTERS PLAN FOOD DRIVE AT THE SEPT. 21ST HOME FOOTBALL GAME
The Olmsted Falls Athletic Boosters will be conducting a food drive during the home varsity game against Brecksville-Broadview Heights on September 21st. Items donated will go directly to the Olmsted Falls/Township Food Pantry. This food pantry supports over 150 local families throughout our community that are in need. Please bring any non-perishable food items to the September 21st game. Cash donations will also be accepted at the main concession stand. Thank you in advance for your support.
SAVE THE DATE! SEPTEMBER PTA MEETINGS
Sept. 13th OECPTA Meeting – TOMORROW!
Sept. 18th OFIS PTA Meeting
Sept. 24th OFHS PTA Meeting
Sept. 25th Falls-Lenox/ECC PTA Meeting
TOUCHDOWN FOR READING
The touchdown for reading program started on September 1st and Cuyahoga County Public Library is inviting all Olmsted Falls’ students to participate this Fall. The game runs through November 17th for grades K-8.
Score as many touchdowns as you can before the clock runs out for a chance to win great prizes including a party with a Cleveland Browns player for your school!
Participation is just like the summer reading game, but in football terms such as yards and quarters. For more information, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- OLMSTED FALLS HIGH SCHOOL LACROSSE MEETING – MANDATORY – TOMORROW, THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2012, 7:00 p.m., HIGH SCHOOL CAFETERIA – There will be a mandatory meeting for all boys and girls grades 9th-12th interested in playing lacrosse in the Spring. Teams will compete against other local area high schools and complete information will be provided at the meeting. For more information on the Olmsted Falls Lacrosse Association and to view the 2012 Season video, please visit OlmstedFallsLAX.com.
- SIGN UP FOR PARENT/CHILD ADVENTURES! – TOMORROW, THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2012, 7:00 p.m., FALLS-LENOX CAFETERIA – The Native Sons & Daughters program gives parents the opportunity to create lifelong memories with their children. Our local chapter is called the Crooked River Longhouse. We are signing up new families with children in grades K and older. We will have an information meeting this Thursday, Sep 13th in the Falls-Lenox cafeteria at 7:00. Please bring your child to learn more about all the exciting adventures you can have together. We will have a craft for the kids. Our program offers activities for all ages. Kindergarteners are the perfect age to join! Please click here for more information and to view our flyer.
- FALLS DAY IN THE PARK – SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2012, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., EAST RIVER PARK – Join us for a day of FREE family fun! Entertainment includes New Sunset Band and OFHS Marching Band, crafters, activities for kids, jugglers, face painting, refreshments and Citizen of the Year award presentation. Please click here for the flyer and crafter registration form.
- SATURDAY ACTIVITY NIGHTS – “OVER A DECADE OF FUN FOR KIDS IN THE COMMUNITY” – The Saturday Activity Night (SAN) Program at the Olmsted Community Center is celebrating over a decade of providing fun to Northeast Ohio youth. SAN is open every Saturday during the school year, excluding holidays. Parents can enjoy a night out, while the kids have a blast in our gym with dodgeball, basketball, homerun derby and wacky kickball, and in our make-it-take-it Craft Room with Crazy Carnival Games, where you make crafts and win prizes all night. SAN is fully supervised from 7-10 p.m. for kids ages 8-13. Cost $8.00. IMPORTANT REMINDER: Due to the construction of the new library, the Olmsted Community Center parking lot will be used for a Drop-off & Pick-up lot only. NO parking is permitted. Anyone needing to park and pick up their kids must use the City Hall parking lot or Falls-Lenox parking lot.
- 1ST ANNUAL ROBBY’S VOICE RACE IV AWARENESS – SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2012 @ OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Mail-In and Online registration begins September 14th. – 5K & 1 Mile Walk to raise awareness about drug addiction to help parents, students and our communities live a drug free life. Proceeds benefit Robby’s Voice. All donations are tax deductible. To download official event flyer with registration form, please click here. For additional information or to volunteer, please visit www.robbysvoice.com or contact Race Coordinator Angela Marysiak at email@example.com.
- RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE – SAVE THE DATE – FIRST 2013 RELAY FOR LIFE PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23RD – After all expenses, $100,214.78 was raised by the 2012 Relay for Life! Congratulations to everyone for their continued support, energy and passion for our community’s fight against cancer. That puts our total for the three Relays at over $313,000.00. We should all be very proud and fulfilled. There is no greater feeling than helping others in need. Relay for Life Chairs Lisa Brady and Michelle LaGruth pass the torch to new chairs – Gabby Giamboi and Cassandra DeLuca – for the 2013 Relay for Life event, set for June 8, 2013. If you would like to join the adventure, mark your calendars for our first committee meeting October 23rd at OFIS! Kudos and thanks to Lisa Brady, Michelle LaGruth, and all volunteers for three fabulously rewarding years.
- ANNUAL NIGHT AT THE RACES – SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2012 – S T. MARY OF THE FALLS PARISH HALL – DOORS OPEN 6:15 P.M.; POST TIME 7:00 P.M. – Advance tickets $20 per person. 21 & over only. Cash to winning owner, sideboards, silent auction, DJ and dancing. Call to reserve a table for parties of 8 or more. All proceeds benefit St. Mary of the Falls School. To download a flyer/ticket order form, please click here. For more information and reservations, please contact Eileen Naughton at 236-6230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.