Parent Update – September 19, 2012
TWO OFHS STUDENTS NAMED NATIONAL MERIT SEMI-FINALISTS
Congratulations to OFHS seniors Nick Buchta and Megan Doherty on being named as Semi-Finalists in the 2013 National Merit Scholarship Program. These academically talented students have the opportunity to continue on in this prestigious scholarship awards competition. From the approximately 16,000 Semifinalists nationwide, about 15,000 will be notified that they have advanced to the Finalist level sometime in late January. All National Merit Scholarship winners will be selected from this Finalist group. Kudos to Nick and Megan on this outstanding achievement and best of luck as the competition proceeds into the spring! Go Bulldogs!
OFHS AUDITORIUM RENOVATION NEARING COMPLETION
One of the most significant improvement projects made possible by funds from the 2.8 Mill Permanent Improvement Levy passed last November is the renovation of the OFHS auditorium. With the new seats in place and fresh carpet installed, the project is drawing to a close this week. The $550,000 renovation to the OFHS auditorium also features a new sound system and much improved acoustics, as well as new stage lighting and wiring. A new color scheme – blue and gold of course – finishes off the space. The District plans to host an official Open House event for the community in late fall. Funds from the new P.I. levy have already made possible a long list of much-needed improvement projects at Olmsted Falls High School and across the District.
CONSTITUTION DAY ACTIVITIES
September 17th is Constitution Day. Constitution Day is an annual event that commemorates the formation and signing of the U.S. Constitution by thirty-nine brave men on September 17, 1787. This past Monday, students across Olmsted Falls School District celebrated Constitution Day with a variety of creative and educational activities. To read more about Constitution Day activities in Olmsted Falls Schools and view photos, please click here.
JOIN HELPING HANDS FOR 1ST ANNUAL TAILGATE CELEBRATION – THIS FRIDAY, SEPT. 21ST
Join Helping Hands for food and fun before this Friday’s Varsity Football Game Vs. the Brecksville-Broadview Heights Bees! The 1st Annual Helping Hands Tailgate Celebration begins at 6:00 p.m. at the High School football stadium THIS FRIDAY, September 21st:
6-7 pm Food and Fun (**Look for the Helping Hands students in tye-dye t-shirts at the gate to pick up tickets!)
7 pm Varsity Football Game vs. Brecksville-Broadview Heights Bees
Student ticket (grades 1-12) = $5 (includes ticket, pizza, popcorn, and drink); PreK & K student ticket = $2 (free into game, includes pizza, popcorn, and drink); adult tickets = $6 (food to be purchased at concessions). You must pre-register for this event! Please complete the attached form and return it to Mariel Krakowiak at OFHS by 12 noon on Friday, September 21! To view the flyer/registration form, please click here. (For more information on the Helping Hands Program, please see additional news item also featured on today’s blog.)
FALLS-LENOX READING BUDDIES
Students in Miss Moore’s second grade class enjoy buddy reading with their first grade buddies from Mrs. Kostraba’s room. The students get together once a month to share their favorite books, taking turns reading and talking about their selections. They do a great job reading together and sharing their love of books! To view more photos of the Falls-Lenox Reading Buddies in action, please click here.
OLMSTED FALLS BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION TRAVEL TEAM TRYOUTS – THIS SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22ND
The Olmsted Falls Basketball Association will hold tryouts for 2 boys teams (for grades 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th) and 2 girls teams (for grades 4th, 5th, 6th) THIS SATURDAY, Sept. 22nd at Olmsted Falls High School. The goal of the OFBA Travel Basketball Program is to identify and further develop players in the Olmsted Falls School District (grades 3-6) at a higher level of basketball which prepares them for the Olmsted Falls Middle School and High School Basketball Programs. To download the official OFBA Travel Basketball flyer with tryout times, fees and additional information, please click here.
BAND SENIOR NIGHT, MINI-CHEERLEADER NIGHT & DISTINGUISHED HALL OF FAME INTRODUCTIONS FEATURED AT THIS FRIDAY’S HOME VARSITY FOOTBALL GAME
THIS FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21st – vs. Brecksville-Broadview Heights. Don’t miss all the extra excitement at this week’s home game: Band Senior Night PREGAME; Distinguished Hall of Fame Introductions after FIRST QUARTER; plus Mini Bulldog Cheerleader Night and the Athletic Boosters Food Drive!
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11TH – vs. Amherst (OFHS Homecoming)
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26th – vs. North Olmsted
Adults – $6.00 / Students – $3.00 / Seniors – $3.00
PLEASE SUPPORT ATHLETIC BOOSTERS FOOD DRIVE AT THIS FRIDAY’S HOME FOOTBALL GAME
The Olmsted Falls Athletic Boosters will be conducting a food drive during the home varsity game against Brecksville-Broadview Heights THIS FRIDAY, September 21st. Items donated will go directly to the Olmsted Falls/Township Food Pantry. This food pantry supports over 150 local families throughout our community that are in need. Please bring any non-perishable food items to the September 21st game. Cash donations will also be accepted at the main concession stand. Thank you in advance for your support.
ITTY BITTY BULLDOGS VISIT BUS GARAGE
Preschool students from the Early Childhood Center took their first field trip last week to the District’s Bus Garage. This important field trip helps reinforce bus safety lessons and gives students the opportunity to learn about all of the important things that go on at the bus garage. Students rotated through a variety of stations. Favorite activities included getting to honk the bus horn, riding on the lift and rolling underneath the bus on the crawler with the mechanic! Thank you to the bus garage staff and to the many parent volunteers that made this year’s trip a fun learning experience for our youngest Bulldogs! Please click here to view photos of the AM trip and click here for the PM trip.
SAVE THE DATE: RACHEL’S CHALLENGE COMMUNITY PROGRAM – NEXT THURSDAY, SEPT. 27TH AT 7:00 P.M.
Come hear the inspiring true story about one girl’s dream to change the world – Olmsted Falls School District will host the nationally acclaimed Rachel’s Challenge Community Event program on Thursday, September 27th at 7:00 p.m. at Olmsted Falls High School. Rachel Scott’s life was tragically cut short during the Columbine High School shooting on April 20, 1999. However, her example of kindness and compassion was not defeated that day. The Rachel’s Challenge program promotes relationships with people we come in contact with everyday. The goal of the program is to start a chain reaction of kindness that will positively impact schools and communities. Olmsted Falls High School, Middle School and Intermediate School students will attend Rachel’s Challenge assemblies on September 27th. As a companion to these assemblies, sponsored in conjunction with our PTA, we are pleased to offer this inspiring evening program that is open to the public. Bulldog parents and students are encouraged to attend the Rachel’s Challenge Community Event at 7:00 p.m. on Sept. 27th.
HELPING HANDS PROGRAM ENTERS SECOND YEAR – FIRST PARENT SUPPORT MEETING OCTOBER 8TH
Would you like your special needs child more socially involved? If so, you should consider having your child participate in Helping Hands events and celebrations. Helping Hands is a disability awareness program that helps people of all ages learn attitudes of acceptance, dignity and respect toward all people, especially those with disabilities. Each month your child has the opportunity to participate in a special event planned by the Helping Hands student group. Parents and guardians also have the opportunity to join the Helping Hands parent support group. If you are interested in Helping Hands, please email Mariel Krakowiak (email@example.com).
SAVE THE DATE! Helping Hands 1st Parent Support Meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 8th from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Olmsted Falls High School, Room W5 (enter west side gym entrance).
DEADLINE EXTENDED FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDY SKILLS PROJECT – DUE DATE FOR PARENT & STUDENT CONSENT FORMS EXTENDED TO THIS FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21st
Don’t miss the opportunity to be part of this important study that will help detect and identify students who may need assistance in the area of study skills! Please be sure to return your forms by THIS FRIDAY, SEPT. 21st. School Psychologist Mrs. Shannon Goss will oversee this important project in collaboration with Kent State University. Information packets were sent home with all Middle School students on Friday, September 7th and consents have been coming in! The final deadline to submit consent has been extended to Friday, September 21 to ensure that every student has an opportunity to participate and benefit. All students with forms turned in by Friday, Sept. 21st will be entered into a drawing for a $25 itunes gift card. To download a copy of the packet including letters from Principal Mark Kurz and School Psychologist Shannon Goss, and the required parent and student consent forms, please click here. Any questions? Please contact Mrs. Goss at 427-6214.
OFIS PTA FUNDRAISER – GOT MILK?
Because we have cookies…..cookie dough that is!! Once again this year the OFIS PTA will be selling cookie dough as our annual fundraiser. The profits of this fundraiser pay for all of the great activities the OFIS PTA sponsors, like field trips, assemblies, field day, Right-to-Read Week, the 5th grade luau, and much more!
This fundraiser kicks off on Friday, September 14th and runs through Friday, September 28th. Look for all the information in the students’ backpacks this Friday.
Don’t have a student at OFIS and would like to purchase cookie dough, or have questions or need additional forms? Please contact Linda Parkowski at 440-235-7096 or at JLparkowski@cox.net – there are many cookie dough choices to choose from!
OFMS PTA SPIRIT SALE CONTINUES
Don’t forget to order your Olmsted Falls Bulldog spirit wear. You can view and order our items from RYCO Sports web page by clicking here. You can also click here to print the order form and send it with your child to drop off in the school office. We will be accepting orders until November 1st. All orders placed by November 1st will be ready for pick up at Parent Teacher Conferences at the Middle School in November. Should you have any questions please email Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OLMSTED EARLY CHILDHOOD PTA AUTUMN ATTIC SALE
The OECPTA will be hosting its first annual “Autumn Attic Resale Event” on Saturday, September 29th. It will be held at the Middle School in the cafeteria. Early bird sale 8am-9am $5 and general sale 9am-noon $2. Children’s clothes, toys, gear, maternity, furniture, decor, bedding, etc. will be sold. If you have an interest in selling your gently used baby/kids inventory, here is your opportunity!! We are selling 10′ x 10′ spaces, $25 for members, $30 for non-members. (Tables are available for $10 each, if you are unable to provide your own). It is also open to vendors (ie., Thirty One, Mary Kary, etc.) Sellers keep all profits! Spaces are limited so return your registration today. To view the informational flyer, please click here. For a Registration form, please click here. Check out our website at http://www.oecpta.org/.
Sept. 24th OFHS PTA Meeting
Sept. 25th Falls-Lenox/ECC PTA Meeting
TOUCHDOWN FOR READING
The touchdown for reading program started on September 1st and Cuyahoga County Public Library is inviting all Olmsted Falls’ students to participate this Fall. The game runs through November 17th for grades K-8.
Score as many touchdowns as you can before the clock runs out for a chance to win great prizes including a party with a Cleveland Browns player for your school!
Participation is just like the summer reading game, but in football terms such as yards and quarters. For more information, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- FALL SCOUTING OPEN HOUSE – THIS THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20TH, 6:30 – 8:00 P.M., FALLS-LENOX EAST GYM – Are you a boy 1st grade to 12th? Do you like camping? backpacking? Making stuff? Learning new things? Cub Scouts is for boys 1st-5th grade. Boy Scouts is for boys 11-18 years old. Venturing is for boys and girls 14-18+. Scouting Open House is this Thursday 6:30-8 Falls Lenox East gym. Packs and Troops will be there to answer your questions and register you. Bring your checkbook and a pen to get signed up!
- FALLS DAY IN THE PARK – SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2012, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., EAST RIVER PARK – Join us for a day of FREE family fun! Entertainment includes New Sunset Band and OFHS Marching Band, crafters, activities for kids, jugglers, face painting, refreshments and Citizen of the Year award presentation. Please click here for the flyer and crafter registration form.
- SATURDAY ACTIVITY NIGHTS – “OVER A DECADE OF FUN FOR KIDS IN THE COMMUNITY” – The Saturday Activity Night (SAN) Program at the Olmsted Community Center is celebrating over a decade of providing fun to Northeast Ohio youth. SAN is open every Saturday during the school year, excluding holidays. Parents can enjoy a night out, while the kids have a blast in our gym with dodgeball, basketball, homerun derby and wacky kickball, and in our make-it-take-it Craft Room with Crazy Carnival Games, where you make crafts and win prizes all night. SAN is fully supervised from 7-10 p.m. for kids ages 8-13. Cost $8.00. IMPORTANT REMINDER: Due to the construction of the new library, the Olmsted Community Center parking lot will be used for a Drop-off & Pick-up lot only. NO parking is permitted. Anyone needing to park and pick up their kids must use the City Hall parking lot or Falls-Lenox parking lot.
- 1ST ANNUAL ROBBY’S VOICE RACE IV AWARENESS – SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2012 @ OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Mail-In and Online registration begins September 14th. – 5K & 1 Mile Walk to raise awareness about drug addiction to help parents, students and our communities live a drug free life. Proceeds benefit Robby’s Voice. All donations are tax deductible. To download official event flyer with registration form, please click here. For additional information or to volunteer, please visit www.robbysvoice.com or contact Race Coordinator Angela Marysiak at email@example.com.
- RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE – SAVE THE DATE – FIRST 2013 RELAY FOR LIFE PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23RD – After all expenses, $100,214.78 was raised by the 2012 Relay for Life! Congratulations to everyone for their continued support, energy and passion for our community’s fight against cancer. That puts our total for the three Relays at over $313,000.00. We should all be very proud and fulfilled. There is no greater feeling than helping others in need. Relay for Life Chairs Lisa Brady and Michelle LaGruth pass the torch to new chairs – Gabby Giamboi and Cassandra DeLuca – for the 2013 Relay for Life event, set for June 8, 2013. If you would like to join the adventure, mark your calendars for our first committee meeting October 23rd at OFIS! Kudos and thanks to Lisa Brady, Michelle LaGruth, and all volunteers for three fabulously rewarding years.
- ANNUAL NIGHT AT THE RACES – SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2012 – S T. MARY OF THE FALLS PARISH HALL – DOORS OPEN 6:15 P.M.; POST TIME 7:00 P.M. – Advance tickets $20 per person. 21 & over only. Cash to winning owner, sideboards, silent auction, DJ and dancing. Call to reserve a table for parties of 8 or more. All proceeds benefit St. Mary of the Falls School. To download a flyer/ticket order form, please click here. For more information and reservations, please contact Eileen Naughton at 236-6230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.