Parent Update – September 26, 2012
- DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI HALL OF FAME WELCOMES NEWEST INDUCTEES
Guests gathered at the German American Cultural Center last Thursday evening for the OFHS Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Dinner. Six new inductees were formally welcomed into the OFHS Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame. Pictured at left (from L to R) are Mary Lee Hu (Class of ’61), Jim Taliak (Class of ’61), Kathy Westling Miller (Class of ’66), COL David Burwell (Class of ’79), Charles Owens (Class of ’81). Not pictured is Nancy Chubb who passed away in September of 2011.
Friday night brought the inductees to the football game! They were announced as the newest members of the Distinguished Hall of Fame right after the first quarter. Please click here to view these inductees’ biographies and click here to view photos of last week’s activities.
Congratulations to each inductee!
DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI RETURN TO OFHS SHARE EXPERIENCES WITH STUDENTS
In addition to the formal ceremony on Thursday evening, the inductees also participated in a question/answer panel discussion at the High School on Friday afternoon. Students from three classes participated and Abby Nichols, a senior, facilitated the discussion. Plaques of these outstanding alumni and all Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame members can be found on the walls outside the media center in the high school.
DON’T MISS THE RACHEL’S CHALLENGE COMMUNITY PROGRAM TOMORROW NIGHT – THURSDAY, SEPT. 27TH AT 7:00 P.M.
Come hear the inspiring true story about one girl’s dream to change the world – Olmsted Falls School District will host the nationally acclaimed Rachel’s Challenge Community Event program TOMORROW, Thursday, September 27th at 7:00 p.m. in the newly renovated Olmsted Falls High School auditorium. Rachel Scott’s life was tragically cut short during the Columbine High School shooting on April 20, 1999. However, her example of kindness and compassion was not defeated that day. The Rachel’s Challenge program promotes relationships with people we come in contact with everyday. The goal of the program is to start a chain reaction of kindness that will positively impact schools and communities. Olmsted Falls High School, Middle School and Intermediate School students will attend Rachel’s Challenge assemblies on September 27th. As a companion to these assemblies, sponsored in conjunction with our PTA, we are pleased to offer this inspiring evening program that is open to the public. Bulldog parents and students are encouraged to attend the Rachel’s Challenge Community Event at 7:00 p.m. on Sept. 27th.
FALLS-LENOX STUDENTS PRESENT PROJECTS AT BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING
Falls-Lenox Primary School hosted Tuesday night’s Board of Education meeting where four students from Michelle LaGruth’s 3rd grade class presented their “All About Me” projects. The students were Noah Young, Maxine Baker, Sarah Tomasch, and Sanat Subhash. They worked on these projects with Mrs. Netschke’s Gifted and Talented class. Students wrote about many topics including their favorite books, pastimes and family members. To view more photos, please click here.
MINI BULLDOG CHEERLEADERS SHOW SPIRIT
Young Bulldogs joined the OFHS Cheerleading squad on the High School track last Friday night to cheer on the Bulldog Varsity Football team. Lines of girls followed the lead of our High School cheerleaders with chants and routines that were learned during the annual Bulldog Mini Cheer Camp program.
For a complete photo gallery from the event, please click here.
OLMSTED FALLS MASQUERS & FORENSICS PATRONS LAUNCHES ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP DRIVE
The Olmsted Falls Masquers and Forensics Patrons (OFMFP)is the non-profit parent booster group charted to support performing arts, speech, and debate in Olmsted Falls High School and we need your support. Learn more about this great organization, its support of our students, and the great benefit of being a member! Click HERE now for the 2012-2013 OFMFP Membership letter and application. Go Bulldogs!
FALLS-LENOX COURTYARD RECEIVES A MAKEOVER
The Falls-Lenox courtyard has received a makeover! The students and staff would like to thank Pastor Jim McClaren and The New Hope Covenant Church congregation for designing and creating benches for the renovated courtyard. The benches are large enough that they can be used as a bench or table. The students and staff at Falls-Lenox have already been enjoying the benches and scenery of the courtyard. We are very appreciative of the work that Dr. Jim and his congregation did. The benches will be used for many years to come! To see more photos, please click here.
PAYMENT IN LIEU OF TRANSPORTATION DEADLINE THIS MONDAY, OCTOBER 1ST
Those parents or guardians of students in grades K-12 who reside in Olmsted Falls School District but attend a chartered Ohio non-public elementary or secondary school that we do not provide transportation to may be eligible for reimbursement for transportation. The school of attendance must be 30 minutes or less traveling time via school bus from the Olmsted Falls school that the child would normally attend. Travel time is calculated from portal-to-portal at the time the bus would normally transport a student to school in the morning. If you feel that you may qualify for Payment in Lieu of Transportation, a written request for reimbursement must be received by October 1, 2012.
Please submit requests to: Olmsted Falls Board of Education, Attn: Office of the Treasurer, P.O. Box 38010, Olmsted Falls, OH, 44138. The request may also be faxed to the same attention at (440) 427-6010. The written request should include the name and grade of your student, the name and address of the school that they attend, as well as your home address and a contact phone number. Please call the Treasurer’s Office at (440) 427-6000 to confirm that your request has been received by the October 1, 2012 deadline.
If you have any questions about whether you qualify for Payment in Lieu of Transportation, please contact District Transportation Supervisor Heath Krakowiak at (440) 427-6350.
The Annual Powder Puff Football Game (Senior Girls vs. Junior Girls) is Thursday November 1, 2012 @ 7:00pm High School Stadium. Tickets are $5.00. Class of 2013 were the winners of the 2011 face off and will be defending their title and bragging rights.
MEET MRS. ATKINS!
Mrs. Jennifer Atkins is a 5th grade Language Arts and Science teacher at Olmsted Falls Intermediate School. This year marks her 13th year in education, and her 12th year as a Bulldog. Mrs. Atkins decided to become a teacher because she enjoys creating fun, hands-on learning opportunities for students. She also feels that she has had caring teachers in the past who helped make school a comfortable place to be.
Mrs. Atkins’ favorite things about being a Bulldog are the school PRIDE and spirit. She also values the caring people in the community. Mrs. Atkins and her husband Mike have two daughters, Ella (6) and Anna (4). In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, scrapbooking, and spending time with family and friends.
FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL REMINDER – 7:30 p.m. KICK-OFF FOR THIS FRIDAY!
This Friday night’s varsity football game at Westlake High School will kick-off at 7:30p.m., instead of the usual 7:00 p.m. start, due to parking and other festivities surrounding Westlake High School’s All Class Reunion event. Please make note of the later kick-off time.
Also, follow your Olmsted Falls Bulldogs on twitter @OFalls_Bulldogs.
ENTERTAINMENT BOOKS AVAILABLE FROM THE OFMS PTA
The Middle School PTA is selling Entertainment Books!! Get yours today. They make great Christmas gifts. The books are $30.00 each. We are also running a special. If you buy 5 books you will get the 6th book free. You can download the order form by clicking here and send it into school with your child. Please put it in an envelope marked MS PTA – Entertainment Book Order. The checks should be made payable to OFMS PTA. The books will be sent home with your student within 2 weeks of receiving your order. Books will also be available for sale during the Middle School parent teacher conferences on November 5th and 15th. If you have any questions, please contact Holly McFadden at email@example.com.
HELPING HANDS PROGRAM ENTERS SECOND YEAR – FIRST PARENT SUPPORT MEETING OCTOBER 8TH
Would you like your special needs child more socially involved? If so, you should consider having your child participate in Helping Hands events and celebrations. Helping Hands is a disability awareness program that helps people of all ages learn attitudes of acceptance, dignity and respect toward all people, especially those with disabilities. Each month your child has the opportunity to participate in a special event planned by the Helping Hands student group. Parents and guardians also have the opportunity to join the Helping Hands parent support group. If you are interested in Helping Hands, please email Mariel Krakowiak (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SAVE THE DATE! Helping Hands 1st Parent Support Meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 8th from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Olmsted Falls High School, Room W5 (enter west side gym entrance).
OFIS PTA FUNDRAISER – THIS FRIDAY IS THE DEADLINE FOR ORDERS!
We are in the last few days of the OFIS Cookie Dough Fundraiser!! Friday is the deadline to place your orders for this wonderful cookie dough. The profits of this fundraiser pay for all of the great activities the OFIS PTA sponsors, like field trips, assemblies, field day, Right-to-Read Week, the 5th grade luau, and much more!
Don’t have a student at OFIS and would like to purchase cookie dough, or have questions or need additional forms? Please contact Linda Parkowski at 440-235-7096 or at JLparkowski@cox.net – there are many cookie dough choices to choose from!
OLMSTED EARLY CHILDHOOD PTA AUTUMN ATTIC SALE – THIS SATURDAY!
The OECPTA will be hosting its first annual “Autumn Attic Resale Event” this Saturday, September 29th. It will be held at the Middle School in the cafeteria. Early bird sale 8am-9am $5 and general sale 9am-noon $2. Children’s clothes, toys, gear, maternity, furniture, decor, bedding, etc. will be sold, along with Thirty One, Mary Kay, Tastefully Simple, plus a lot more! (The sale is now closed to sellers/vendors.) Please join us for a morning of fun and shopping. We will be selling raffle tickets for an American Girl doll and there will be a bake sale as well. Hope to see you there! To view the informational flyer, please click here. Check out our website at http://www.oecpta.org/.
TOUCHDOWN FOR READING
The touchdown for reading program started on September 1st and Cuyahoga County Public Library is inviting all Olmsted Falls’ students to participate this Fall. The game runs through November 17th for grades K-8.
Score as many touchdowns as you can before the clock runs out for a chance to win great prizes including a party with a Cleveland Browns player for your school!
Participation is just like the summer reading game, but in football terms such as yards and quarters. For more information, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- POLARIS CAREER CENTER HVAC RECYCLING EVENT – THIS SATURDAY, SEPT. 29TH FROM 9 AM TO 12 PM @ 7285 OLD OAK BLVD., MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS – Go Green! Polaris Career Center’s Heating, ventilating & Air Conditioning Program is hosting an air conditioner, refrigerator, and dehumidifier round-up this Saturday. Area residents are invited to drop off old AC window units, refrigerators, and dehumidifiers to the Polaris HVAC lab where the quipment will be disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner and at no costs. Proceeds generated from equipment recycling/scrapping will go to the HVAC student activity fund. Please clcik HERE to download a flyer.
- FALLS DAY IN THE PARK – SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2012, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., EAST RIVER PARK – Join us for a day of FREE family fun! Entertainment includes New Sunset Band and OFHS Marching Band, crafters, activities for kids, jugglers, face painting, refreshments and Citizen of the Year award presentation. Please click here for the flyer and crafter registration form.
- SATURDAY ACTIVITY NIGHTS – “OVER A DECADE OF FUN FOR KIDS IN THE COMMUNITY” – The Saturday Activity Night (SAN) Program at the Olmsted Community Center is celebrating over a decade of providing fun to Northeast Ohio youth. SAN is open every Saturday during the school year, excluding holidays. Parents can enjoy a night out, while the kids have a blast in our gym with dodgeball, basketball, homerun derby and wacky kickball, and in our make-it-take-it Craft Room with Crazy Carnival Games, where you make crafts and win prizes all night. SAN is fully supervised from 7-10 p.m. for kids ages 8-13. Cost $8.00. IMPORTANT REMINDER: Due to the construction of the new library, the Olmsted Community Center parking lot will be used for a Drop-off & Pick-up lot only. NO parking is permitted. Anyone needing to park and pick up their kids must use the City Hall parking lot or Falls-Lenox parking lot.
- 1ST ANNUAL ROBBY’S VOICE RACE IV AWARENESS – SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2012 @ OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Mail-In and Online registration begins September 14th. – 5K & 1 Mile Walk to raise awareness about drug addiction to help parents, students and our communities live a drug free life. Proceeds benefit Robby’s Voice. All donations are tax-deductible. To download official event flyer with registration form, please click here. For additional information or to volunteer, please visit www.robbysvoice.com or contact Race Coordinator Angela Marysiak at email@example.com.
- RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE – SAVE THE DATE – FIRST 2013 RELAY FOR LIFE PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23RD – After all expenses, $100,214.78 was raised by the 2012 Relay for Life! Congratulations to everyone for their continued support, energy and passion for our community’s fight against cancer. That puts our total for the three Relays at over $313,000.00. We should all be very proud and fulfilled. There is no greater feeling than helping others in need. Relay for Life Chairs Lisa Brady and Michelle LaGruth pass the torch to new chairs – Gabby Giamboi and Cassandra DeLuca – for the 2013 Relay for Life event, set for June 8, 2013. If you would like to join the adventure, mark your calendars for our first committee meeting October 23rd at OFIS! Kudos and thanks to Lisa Brady, Michelle LaGruth, and all volunteers for three fabulously rewarding years.
- ANNUAL NIGHT AT THE RACES – SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2012 – S T. MARY OF THE FALLS PARISH HALL – DOORS OPEN 6:15 P.M.; POST TIME 7:00 P.M. – Advance tickets $20 per person. 21 & over only. Cash to winning owner, sideboards, silent auction, DJ and dancing. Call to reserve a table for parties of 8 or more. All proceeds benefit St. Mary of the Falls School. To download a flyer/ticket order form, please click here. For more information and reservations, please contact Eileen Naughton at 236-6230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.