Parent Update – October 3, 2012
CONGRATULATIONS TO NATIONAL MERIT COMMENDED STUDENTS
In addition to the two National Merit Scholarship Semi-Finalists announced last month, Olmsted Falls High School is proud to report that three more students have been recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Program. Seniors Katelynn Edgehouse, Kevin Thompson, Mitchell Zehe have been named National Merit Commended Students and are being recognized for their exceptional academic promise demonstrated by their outstanding performance on the qualifying test used for program entry. These National Merit Commended Students placed among the top 5% of more than 1.5 million students who took the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) last October.
Congratulations to Katelynn, Kevin and Mitchell on this outstanding academic achievement!
WASHINGTON DC PARENT MEETING TONIGHT AT 7:00 P.M.
All 8th grade students will have the opportunity to travel to Washington DC on April 3-5, 2013. A representative from Jerry Nowak Tours will conduct a presentation for all parentsTONIGHT, Wednesday, October 3 in the OFMS Cafetorium. This presentation will begin at 7:00 p.m. and will end by 8:00 p.m. Students may attend this presentation but are not required. Please click here for more information.
MR. LARGENT’S 7TH GRADE WORLD HISTORY CLASS PORTRAYS PUNIC WARS
Every year the students in 7th grade World History put on a classroom play about the Punic Wars. The students are given a script and then they have the artistic freedom to create the play as they see fit. This year, Mr. Largent filmed the students using iMovie on his iPad and here are the highlights. Mr. Largent said, “The students were really creative this year, and I could tell in the days leading up to the performance that I wanted to do something special for them to remember all of their hard work.” Please view these very creative portrayals by very talented 7th graders by clicking here for Mr. Largent’s 2nd and 3rd Period Classes and here for Mr. Largent’s 6th-7th-8th Period Classes.
SECOND GRADERS VISIT HALE FARM
On Wednesday, September 26th, the second graders went to Hale Farm and Village to learn about life long ago. The students were able to walk around the village and see first hand how differently people lived. The students were able to listen to presenters and see demonstrations in the one-room school house, doctors office, general store, pottery shed, spinning house, log home, and at the blacksmith’s work station. This field trip was an excellent reinforcement of Social Studies standards taught during the month of September. To view more photos of the field trip, please click here.
POWERSCHOOL MOBILE APP FOR PARENTS
Did you know? PowerSchool is now portable! The PowerSchool for Parents app is available for download from the App Store and compatible with the iPhone®, iPad® or iPod touch®. Parents can easily view each child’s progress in a single feed to check grades, review assignments, and more! Olmsted Falls School District has created an instruction sheet to assist interested parents and/or students in getting connected to PowerSchool via a mobile device. Please click here to download this instruction sheet.
DAKOTA’S DREAM FUNDRAISER!
The K-Kids organization at OFIS coordinated a school-wide change collection fundraiser last week to benefit the annual Dakota’s Dream Fundraiser. Dakota Bihn is a student at OFIS this year. The change collection lasted from 9/17-9/21 and culminated with a pizza party and special gift for the top raising 4th grade class (Mrs. Judson) and 5th grade class (Mrs. Harb). The staff and students at OFIS raised over $5300.00 for the Dakota’s Dream Fundraiser which benefits the Cure Tay-Sachs Foundation. Dakota’s family, in concert with many other Tay-Sachs families, founded the Cure Tay-Sachs Foundation in June 2007 to fund research that shows promise to treat or cure Tay-Sachs disease.
NEW LUNCH MENUS HAVE ARRIVED!
To accommodate the new federal food regulations, which went into effect this year, Olmsted Falls School District has transitioned to a new cycle-style menu which features a set schedule of menu rotations every four weeks for both breakfast and lunch. The new menus were sent home with students in grades K-5 last Friday; and the menus were sent home with students in grades 6-8 this past Monday. The new printed menus for High School students are available in the OFHS cafeteria.
To view the new 2012-2013 menus on-line, please click on the appropriate link below:
Please contact the District’s Food Service Office at 427-6441 with any questions about our school meal program, the new menu format and/or the new federal food regulations.
OFIS LIBRARY FUNDRAISER
Starting October 1 and ending on October 22nd, OFIS is having an online Titlewish fundraiser. 100% of the money raised will go directly to purchasing new books for their school library. OFIS is asking you to participate and help raise $2,500, which will be used to purchase new books to enhance the newly implemented Guided Reading program. To help meet this goal, please visit www.titlewish.com and use the FIND YOUR SCHOOL bar, type in Olmsted Falls Intermediate School to access the school’s Titlewish site. Thank you for your support!!
The Annual Powder Puff Football Game (Senior Girls vs. Junior Girls) is Thursday November 1, 2012 @ 7:00pm High School Stadium. Tickets are $5.00. Class of 2013 were the winners of the 2011 face off and will be defending their title and bragging rights.
MEET MRS. STATZ!
Mrs. Anne Statz is a second grade teacher at Falls-Lenox. This is her 22nd year in education, and her 20th year in Olmsted Falls. Mrs. Statz wanted to become a teacher because she loved school as a child and wanted to pass on her love of learning to others. She thoroughly enjoys working with her students, especially those who need some extra support.
Mrs. Statz’s favorite thing about being a Bulldog is working with her colleagues. She states, “They are smart, professional, and care deeply about their students.” She and her husband Chris have two daughters, Caroline (13) and Lauren (11). In her spare time, she enjoys reading, traveling, Pilates, and spending time with her family.
OLMSTED FALLS DEVELOPMENTAL BASKETBALL LEAGUE SIGN-UPS UNDERWAY
Registration for the 2012 Developmental Basketball League for 4th, 5th and 6th grade boys has begun. Players will participate in skills sessions and play games on Saturday mornings during the months of November and December. The cost of this year’s Developmental Basketball League is $50. The league will be taught by Olmsted Falls Varsity Basketball coaches and players. The league emphasizes basic skills, game rules, and teamwork in an atmosphere designed to be educational and enjoyable. For additional information and registration form, please click here for girls; click here for boys.
HELPING HANDS PROGRAM ENTERS SECOND YEAR – FIRST PARENT SUPPORT MEETING – THIS MONDAY, OCTOBER 8TH
Would you like your special needs child more socially involved? If so, you should consider having your child participate in Helping Hands events and celebrations. Helping Hands is a disability awareness program that helps people of all ages learn attitudes of acceptance, dignity and respect toward all people, especially those with disabilities. Each month your child has the opportunity to participate in a special event planned by the Helping Hands student group. Parents and guardians also have the opportunity to join the Helping Hands parent support group. If you are interested in Helping Hands, please email Mariel Krakowiak (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Helping Hands 1st Parent Support Meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 8th from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Olmsted Falls High School, Room W5 (enter west side gym entrance).
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
ENTERTAINMENT BOOKS AVAILABLE FROM THE OFMS PTA
The Middle School PTA is selling Entertainment Books!! Get yours today. They make great Christmas gifts. The books are $30.00 each. We are also running a special. If you buy 5 books you will get the 6th book free. You can download the order form by clicking here and send it into school with your child. Please put it in an envelope marked MS PTA – Entertainment Book Order. The checks should be made payable to OFMS PTA. The books will be sent home with your student within 2 weeks of receiving your order. Books will also be available for sale during the Middle School parent teacher conferences on November 5th and 15th. If you have any questions, please contact Holly McFadden at email@example.com.
OFMS PTA SPIRIT SALE CONTINUES
Don’t forget to order your Olmsted Falls Bulldog spirit wear. You can view and order our items from RYCO Sports web page by clicking here. You can also click here to print the order form and send it with your child to drop off in the school office. We will be accepting orders until November 1st. All orders placed by November 1st will be ready for pick up at Parent Teacher Conferences at the Middle School in November. Should you have any questions please email Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TOUCHDOWN FOR READING
The touchdown for reading program started on September 1st and Cuyahoga County Public Library is inviting all Olmsted Falls’ students to participate this Fall. The game runs through November 17th for grades K-8.
Score as many touchdowns as you can before the clock runs out for a chance to win great prizes including a party with a Cleveland Browns player for your school!
Participation is just like the summer reading game, but in football terms such as yards and quarters. For more information, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- OLMSTED FALLS LACROSSE HIGH SCHOOL PRACTICE – THIS SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL FIELD – High School girls practice is from 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. and High School boys practice is from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Please bring your lacrosse stick. Click here for the Olmsted Falls LAX website and to view our 2012 season video…….Bulldog Pride!!
- FALLS DAY IN THE PARK – THIS SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2012, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., EAST RIVER PARK – Join us for a day of FREE family fun! Entertainment includes New Sunset Band and OFHS Marching Band, crafters, activities for kids, jugglers, face painting, refreshments and Citizen of the Year award presentation. Please click here for the flyer and crafter registration form.
- OLMSTED COMMUNITIES SHREDDING DAY – OCTOBER 13, 2012, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon, OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Please click here for the flyer.
- 1ST ANNUAL ROBBY’S VOICE RACE IV AWARENESS – SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2012 @ OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Mail-In and Online registration begins September 14th. – 5K & 1 Mile Walk to raise awareness about drug addiction to help parents, students and our communities live a drug free life. Proceeds benefit Robby’s Voice. All donations are tax-deductible. To download official event flyer with registration form, please click here. For additional information or to volunteer, please visit www.robbysvoice.com or contact Race Coordinator Angela Marysiak at email@example.com.
- OLMSTED TOWNSHIP COMMUNITY MEETING – THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2012, 7:00 p.m., MIDDLE SCHOOL CAFETORIUM – Olmsted Township residents, please plan on attending this important meeting designed to give you a voice in the planning of the future of our community! Please click here for the flyer.
- RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE – SAVE THE DATE – FIRST 2013 RELAY FOR LIFE PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23RD – After all expenses, $100,214.78 was raised by the 2012 Relay for Life! Congratulations to everyone for their continued support, energy and passion for our community’s fight against cancer. That puts our total for the three Relays at over $313,000.00. We should all be very proud and fulfilled. There is no greater feeling than helping others in need. Relay for Life Chairs Lisa Brady and Michelle LaGruth pass the torch to new chairs – Gabby Giamboi and Cassandra DeLuca – for the 2013 Relay for Life event, set for June 8, 2013. If you would like to join the adventure, mark your calendars for our first committee meeting October 23rd at OFIS! Kudos and thanks to Lisa Brady, Michelle LaGruth, and all volunteers for three fabulously rewarding years.
- ANNUAL NIGHT AT THE RACES – SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2012 – S T. MARY OF THE FALLS PARISH HALL – DOORS OPEN 6:15 P.M.; POST TIME 7:00 P.M. – Advance tickets $20 per person. 21 & over only. Cash to winning owner, sideboards, silent auction, DJ and dancing. Call to reserve a table for parties of 8 or more. All proceeds benefit St. Mary of the Falls School. To download a flyer/ticket order form, please click here. For more information and reservations, please contact Eileen Naughton at 236-6230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NOT TOO SCARY HALLOWEEN AT OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS AT JOURNEY CHURCH, 6941 COLUMBIA ROAD – FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26TH AT 6:00 p.m. OR SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27 AT 2:00 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. – You will enjoy a 30-minute swashbuckling floor show, light meal, Trick-or-Treating with a Goodie Bag and glow stick provided. Finally, finish off your evening with a dance party with the Princesses and Pirates. There will be photo opportunities and a chance to meet princesses and other characters. Advance tickets only. Tickets are $20 per person, with VIP seating (first three rows for the floor show) for $25. Children under age 2 are free if they lap sit. Tickets are on sale now at www.olmstedperformingarts.com, or call 440-465-3355 to check box office hours.
- IRVING BERLIN’S WHITE CHRISTMAS PERFORMED AT OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS MAIN STAGE – NOVEMBER 16-17, NOVEMBER 20-DECEMBER 2 – Show times are 2 pm Friday, 2pm and 7pm Saturday, and 2 pm Sunday. Performances will be held in the 1,200 seat theater at Journey Church, 6941 Columbia Road, Olmsted Falls. Tickets are $18 (Orchestra A), $15 (Orchestra B), and $12 (Reserved). Advance tickets are on sale now at www.olmstedperformingarts.com, and will be available through noon on November 15th, or call 440-465-3355 to check the hours for our box office. Tickets may also be available at the door.