Parent Update – October 17, 2012
PRELIMINARY REPORTS INDICATE OLMSTED FALLS SCHOOLS “EXCELLENT WITH DISTINCTION”
The Olmsted Falls School District is pleased to report that initial data provided by the Ohio Department of Education indicates the District will likely receive an overall rating of “Excellent with Distinction” on the annual Local Report Card ratings. “Excellent with Distinction” is the highest possible rating that school districts can achieve on the state’s Local Report Card ratings each year. The Local Report Card ratings are based on four components which include: Number of State Indicators Met (on annual achievement tests); Performance Index (scale of 0-120 points); AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress); and Value-Added (measure of how much growth/progress was made since the prior year).
For 2011-2012, preliminary data released indicates Olmsted Falls School District met 26 out of 26 State Indicators, achieved a Performance Index of 106.5; met AYP; and exceeded the Value-Added growth measure, which gives the District its “Excellent with Distinction” rating. In addition, Olmsted Falls School District had an attendance rate of 96.4% and a graduation rate of 94.2%. Congratulations to the students, staff and families of Olmsted Falls for it is your collective efforts and support that make our outstanding educational program possible. To view the preliminary data for Olmsted Falls School District, please click here.
GOLDEN GRADS REUNION 2012
More than 150 Bulldog Alumni from the classes of 1934 to 1973 attended the Annual Golden Grads Reunion luncheon on Thursday, October 11th. Many traveled from out-of-town to attend and stayed through the weekend for a variety of reunion and Homecoming festivities. The Classes of ’52 celebrated its 60th Reunion, ’62 celebrated its 50th Reunion, and ’67 kicked off its 45th Reunion weekend at this event.
Olmsted Falls High School memorabilia was displayed, which included trophies dating from 1922-1962, yearbooks from 1928-1973, and four donated Olmsted Falls jackets from the years 1939, 1957, 1960, and 1966.
For more pictures of this event, you can click here or visit and friend us on Facebook at “Olmsted Falls.” If you would like to donate any historical Olmsted Falls High School items for future Golden Grads reunions and our future Alumni Display case at the High School, please contact Jenny McKeigue at 440-427-6030 or email at email@example.com.
SPIRITS SOAR AND COLORS WAR DURING HOMECOMING WEEK AT OFHS
Bulldog spirit ran high at OFHS last week as students and staff geared up for the annual Homecoming weekend! Spirit Week culminated in an all-out class color war last Thursday as each grade displayed their designated color to the maximum with clothing and decorations throughout the school. Freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors each took over a hallway top creatively display their Bulldog spirit. To view photos from the class color wars, please click HERE.
A school-wide pep rally, also held last Thursday, was filled with high energy which continued onto the football field with a win for our Bulldogs at Friday evening’s Homecoming game. Go Bulldogs! Congratulations to this year’s Homecoming King Chris Fox and Queen Carrie Vichill, along with the other members of the Homecoming Court: Nick Buchta, Molly Butterfield, Megan Doherty, Sean Fallon, Steve Johnson, Alli Parfejewiec, Arrianna Robinson, Brandon Scott. Watch for more Homecoming weekend photos in an upcoming blog post.
OLMSTED FALLS BOYS SOCCER TEAM HAS RECORD SETTING SEASON
With a 1-0 victory over Valley Forge High School last Thursday, the Olmsted Falls High School boys soccer team made history. Under the direction of Head Coach James Walchanowicz and assistants Andrew Hoffman and Colin Lackey, the Olmsted Falls High School soccer team completed its most successful regular season in school history, finishing the regular season with 11 wins, 3 losses, and 1 tie. The team also boasts 10 shutouts in the season, with 8 of them coming the last 8 games of the season. The team finished with a record of 4-3-0 in the SWC. The record earned them a bye in the first round of playoffs. The team travels to Westlake on Saturday, October 20, 2012 to take on Westlake for the Sectional Championship. Kickoff is at 7:00 p.m.
FALL FEST TO BENEFIT NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY AND RELAY FOR LIFE
Please join the OFHS National Honor Society for FALL FEST on THIS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20th from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m at Olmsted Falls High School Front Field. There will be Crafts • Concessions • Costume Contest • Scavenger Hunt • Mummy Wrapping Contest • Prizes • Games • and More! All contributions will benefit NHS and Relay for Life. Click here to view the flyer.
MEET MRS. McCLELLAND!
Mrs. Loretta McClelland has been working in our district since 1989. She began as the “pizza lady,” and then as the baker at Lenox School. She also served as the secretary in the student office at OFHS and at the Board Office. When the ECC opened, Mrs. McClelland became its secretary, and believes that she has the best job ever!
Mrs. McClelland believes in the education of children, and does all that she can do to promote the good works of our district. Her favorite thing about being a Bulldog is that we never say “never.” She loves that Bulldogs stick together, and pull together through thick and thin.
Mrs. Clelland and her husband, Jim have been married 47 years and have three sons and four grandchildren. In her spare time, she loves to read!
THE OFMS DRAMA CLUB PRESENTS ONCE UPON A MATTRESS
Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students.
Tickets can be purchased by contacting Mrs. Joy E. Kiedrowski, OFMS Drama Club Advisor at 427-6332 or at the door.
USA TODAY HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS PROFILES BULLDOG KATE FERSTER
OFHS Junior Kate Ferster, daughter of Diane and John Ferster, has been profiled on the USA Today High School Sports website. Click HERE to read about Kate’s simultaneous participation in two varsity sports – volleyball and cross country! In addition to being an outstanding athlete, Kate maintains a GPA of 4.013 and was also named “2011 – 2012 Nutrition & Wellness Student of the Year.” Congratulations to Kate!
TICKETS ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE OLMSTED FALL HIGH SCHOOL FALL PLAY!
Olmsted Falls High School presents SPY SCHOOL, a comedy by Don Zolidis. Performances will be November 9 & 10, 2012 at 7:30pm in the newly refurbished High School Auditorium. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students and senior citizens. Tickets may be purchased at the door the nights of the play, or by calling 440-427-6070. Click here to view the flyer.
SWIM AND DIVE TEAM OFFERS CANDLES AND APPAREL
From now until Monday, November 5th, the Swim and Dive team is selling Candle Time candles. These candles have wonderful, long-lasting fragrances and come in a variety of scents. They make great gifts for any occasion such as birthdays, teacher’s gifts, and the holidays and candles are appreciated by just about everyone. Cost is one for $10, two for $18 and three for $25. To view the flyer, please click here. For more information, please contact Dave Mills at 440-235-1432.
The Swim and Dive team is once again offering its own apparel and can be ordered until November 5th. To download an order form, please click here. For more information, please contact Teri Petro at 440-236-6482 or Ellen Dregalla at 440-235-1364.
NEW EAGLE SCOUTS TO BE HONORED
Troop 201 will hold an Eagle Court of Honor for Derek Meadows and Tim Knaggs at 3pm on Sunday, October 21st at the Olmsted Community Church, 7853 Main Street, with a reception immediately following. Both boys earned at least 21 merit badges and spearheaded an Eagle community service project involving many other scouts in their troop, friends and family. Derek created a multi-purpose recreation and meeting area alongside a building purchased by a nonprofit in North Olmsted for use by community groups. Tim replaced an old log retaining wall in Fortier Park with a sandstone wall made of blocks recycled from basements of old Olmsted Falls houses, rebuilt a flagstone path, and painted fences. Congratulations to Derek and Tim!
OFIS LIBRARY FUNDRAISER
Starting October 1 and ending on October 22nd, OFIS is having an online Titlewish fundraiser. 100% of the money raised will go directly to purchasing new books for their school library. OFIS is asking you to participate and help raise $2,500, which will be used to purchase new books to enhance the newly implemented Guided Reading program. To help meet this goal, please visit www.titlewish.com and use the FIND YOUR SCHOOL bar, type in Olmsted Falls Intermediate School to access the school’s Titlewish site. Thank you for your support!!
The Olmsted Falls High School Senior Girls & Junior Girls will be facing off for bragging rights at the annual Powder Puff Game on Thursday, November 1st at 7:00 p.m. at the Charles Harding Stadium. Gates Open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets at $5.00 (Pre-sale tickets are $4.00). There will be half-time games, raffles and concessions. All proceeds benefit the OFHS Post Prom Committee.
OLMSTED FALLS DEVELOPMENTAL BASKETBALL LEAGUE SIGN-UPS UNDERWAY
Registration for the 2012 Developmental Basketball League for 4th, 5th and 6th grade boys has begun. Players will participate in skills sessions and play games on Saturday mornings during the months of November and December. The cost of this year’s Developmental Basketball League is $50. The league will be taught by Olmsted Falls Varsity Basketball coaches and players. The league emphasizes basic skills, game rules, and teamwork in an atmosphere designed to be educational and enjoyable. For additional information and registration form, please click here for girls; click here for boys.
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
ENTERTAINMENT BOOKS AVAILABLE FROM THE OFMS PTA
The Middle School PTA is selling Entertainment Books!! Get yours today. They make great Christmas gifts. The books are $30.00 each. We are also running a special. If you buy 5 books you will get the 6th book free. You can download the order form by clicking here and send it into school with your child. Please put it in an envelope marked MS PTA – Entertainment Book Order. The checks should be made payable to OFMS PTA. The books will be sent home with your student within 2 weeks of receiving your order. Books will also be available for sale during the Middle School parent teacher conferences on November 5th and 15th. If you have any questions, please contact Holly McFadden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OFMS PTA SPIRIT SALE CONTINUES
Don’t forget to order your Olmsted Falls Bulldog spirit wear. You can view and order our items from RYCO Sports web page by clicking here. You can also click here to print the order form and send it with your child to drop off in the school office. We will be accepting orders until November 1st. All orders placed by November 1st will be ready for pick up at Parent Teacher Conferences at the Middle School in November. Should you have any questions please email Kim at email@example.com.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- OLMSTED TOWNSHIP MASTER PLANNING MEETING – THIS THURSDAY NIGHT – 7:00 p.m. @ OFMS – YOUR INPUT CAN SHAPE THE FUTURE OF OLMSTED TOWNSHIP – Olmsted Township is rich in one natural resource-land. This meeting will help define how we use our land to benefit and serve residents. What’s on your menu: parks, greenways, housing, local retail, recreation, small business growth, property tax stability? We look forward to seeing you there. Sponsored by the Olmsted Township Trustees. Please click here for the flyer.
- OLMSTED CERT ANNUAL FUNDRAISER at RAZZLES THIS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20 from 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Unlimited pizza, wings, beer, and soda for only $20 – 50/50s, Side Boards and GREAT PRIZES! For more information please click here or to purchase tickets please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us online at www.olmstedcert.org.
- RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE – SAVE THE DATE – FIRST 2013 RELAY FOR LIFE PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING SCHEDULED FOR THIS TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23RD – After all expenses, $100,214.78 was raised by the 2012 Relay for Life! Congratulations to everyone for their continued support, energy and passion for our community’s fight against cancer. That puts our total for the three Relays at over $313,000.00. We should all be very proud and fulfilled. There is no greater feeling than helping others in need. Relay for Life Chairs Lisa Brady and Michelle LaGruth pass the torch to new chairs – Gabby Giamboi and Cassandra DeLuca – for the 2013 Relay for Life event, set for June 8, 2013. If you would like to join the adventure, mark your calendars for our first committee meeting October 23rd at OFIS! Kudos and thanks to Lisa Brady, Michelle LaGruth, and all volunteers for three fabulously rewarding years.
- ANNUAL NIGHT AT THE RACES – SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2012 – S T. MARY OF THE FALLS PARISH HALL – DOORS OPEN 6:15 P.M.; POST TIME 7:00 P.M. – Advance tickets $20 per person. 21 & over only. Cash to winning owner, sideboards, silent auction, DJ and dancing. Call to reserve a table for parties of 8 or more. All proceeds benefit St. Mary of the Falls School. To download a flyer/ticket order form, please click here. For more information and reservations, please contact Eileen Naughton at 236-6230 or email@example.com.
- NOT TOO SCARY HALLOWEEN AT OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS AT JOURNEY CHURCH, 6941 COLUMBIA ROAD – FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26TH AT 6:00 p.m. OR SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27 AT 2:00 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. - You will enjoy a 30-minute swashbuckling floor show, light meal, Trick-or-Treating with a Goodie Bag and glow stick provided. Finally, finish off your evening with a dance party with the Princesses and Pirates. There will be photo opportunities and a chance to meet princesses and other characters. Advance tickets only. Tickets are $20 per person, with VIP seating (first three rows for the floor show) for $25. Children under age 2 are free if they lap sit. Tickets are on sale now at www.olmstedperformingarts.com, or call 440-465-3355 to check box office hours.
- OLMSTED FALLS LACROSSE ASSOCIATION NIGHT-OUT FUNDRAISER, @ THE UPPER DECK, 375 BAGLEY ROAD – FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16TH AT 7:00 P.M. – 9:00 P.M. – Includes unlimited beer, pop, pizza, wings, and rigatoni! There will be 50/50 raffle boards and gift basket prizes which make great Christmas gifts! Come out and support the newest sport for boys and girls in Olmsted Falls!! Please click here for ticket information.
- IRVING BERLIN’S WHITE CHRISTMAS PERFORMED AT OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS MAIN STAGE – NOVEMBER 16-17, NOVEMBER 20-DECEMBER 2 – Show times are 2 pm Friday, 2pm and 7pm Saturday, and 2 pm Sunday. Performances will be held in the 1,200 seat theater at Journey Church, 6941 Columbia Road, Olmsted Falls. Tickets are $18 (Orchestra A), $15 (Orchestra B), and $12 (Reserved). Advance tickets are on sale now at www.olmstedperformingarts.com, and will be available through noon on November 15th, or call 440-465-3355 to check the hours for our box office. Tickets may also be available at the door.