Parent Update – November 14, 2012
**THANKSGIVING BREAK REMINDER**
There will be NO SCHOOL next Wednesday, November 21st through Friday, November 23rd. (Please Note: There will also be no District blog update for next week due to the holiday.) School will resume on Monday, November 26th. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday!
VETERAN’S DAY ACTIVITIES AT THE ECC
VETERAN’S DAY ACTIVITIES AT FALLS-LENOX
On Monday, November 12, Falls-Lenox celebrated Veteran’s Day. Three separate programs were held; one for each community. We were honored to have nine veterans attend our ceremonies: two Falls-Lenox staff members, Dave Weeks and George Elioff, as well as community members Jim Carroll, Don Cunningham, Jerry Gobble, Hal Hastwell, Pete Kathrein, Paul Knapp and Rich Lini. Veterans were treated to lunch and dessert in between programs. Students shared info about Veteran’s Day, led the pledge and sang “God Bless America”. Guest musician, Miss Emily Laycock, played “Taps” on her bugle. Having these programs, was one way staff and students can show our appreciation for our veteran’s service and for their sacrifices. Please click here for more photos.
OFMS COULD BE SELECTED AGAIN AS THE COOL SCHOOL OF THE WEEK – VOTE TONIGHT!
Who is the coolest school in Northeast Ohio? It’s your turn to vote. Each week, there are three nominees.
OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL is one of the nominees this week!
Voting began at 5 a.m. on Monday and ends at 5:59 a.m. on Thursday. The winner will be revealed on Fox 8 News and FOX8.com after the poll is closed.
Please click here to vote for OFMS!!
OFHS SOCIAL STUDIES DEPARTMENT TO CHARTER CHAPTER OF RHO KAPPA NATIONAL SOCIAL STUDIES HONOR SOCIETY – APPLICATIONS DUE THIS FRIDAY, NOV. 16TH
The Olmsted Falls High School Social Studies Department is preparing to charter a new chapter of Rho Kappa National Honor Society. Honors Social Studies students interested in becoming an inaugural member of the new chapter must submit their applications by this Friday, November 16th.
Applications may be turned in to Mr. Mercer, Mr. Pellerite or Mrs. Wendling. Watch for more news to come about this new Rho Kappa chapter.
5TH GRADE SCIENTISTS SHINE AT 12TH ANNUAL SCIENCE FAIR
The students in Mrs. Atkins, Mr. Schafer, and Mrs. Harb’s 5th Grade OFIS Science Classes have worked hard over the past month collecting data for their experiments and displaying their work! They were given the opportunity to “show off” their work for their fellow classmates, teachers, and family members at the 12th Annual Science Fair held in the OFIS Cafeteria on November 2nd! After several hands-on classroom experiments, all 78 students chose some great experiment topics! Well done to all of our ‘Young Scientists’! To view more photos from this event, please click HERE.
OLMSTED FALLS WINTER BASKETBALL PROGRAM FOR BOYS AND GIRLS IN 1ST, 2ND AND 3RD GRADES – REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS THIS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16TH
The Athletic Department of Olmsted Falls Schools is offering an opportunity for primary school students to play basketball this winter. Information and registration forms for the Winter Basketball Program are available on-line. Please click HERE to visit the Falls-Lenox website to download the registration information.
Registration and money is due as soon as possible and should be returned to the Falls-Lenox school office NO LATER THAN Friday, November 16, 2012.
If you have any questions after you have reviewed the information available on-line, please contact Mick Mental via e-mail at email@example.com.
PRE-ENGINEERING STUDENTS ATTEND CLEVELAND ENGINEERING SOCIETY CONFERENCE
On Thursday November 8th, Pre-Engineering Instructor Mike Haydn and four of his students attended the Cleveland Engineering Society Conference. The theme this year was “Engineering Solutions To Energy and Environmental Challenges.” Our students revealed their engineering abilities by discussing and demonstrating the various robots they created and programmed. In addition, the students listened to speakers discussing the changing environment and the current outlook of jobs in Ohio. Four other schools attended the Conference — Polaris, Beaumont, Avon Lake, and Max S. Hayes. There are more pictures of this event on the Polaris Facebook page at www.facebook.com/PolarisCareerCenter.
BREAKFAST BUDDIES AT FALLS-LENOX
Thursday and Friday, November 8th and 9th, were fun mornings for Falls-Lenox students! Dads, grandfathers, older brothers, and men who support our students were invited to join us for donuts, juice and coffee. Students get so excited when the important people in their lives come to school. It shows how they value school and that schools and families work together. A HUGE thank you to the PTA for organizing and sponsoring this annual favorite event! Please click here for more photos.
OFMS WEB REUNION – THIS TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 20TH
Attention all 6th graders… We are excited to announce that our second annual WEB Reunion will be hosted in the Middle School Cafetorium on Tuesday, November 20, 2012. Please arrive to the middle school at 8AM. For those of you who take the bus – come in as soon as your bus arrives! We cant wait to see you and catch up on your school year! Click here for the flyer.
OFHS STUDENTS SHARE POLARIS EXPERIENCE WITH LOCAL CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE
Kudos to Olmsted Falls High School students Anthony Fanara (pictured seated at far left) and Sammie Thompson (pictured seated third from left and holding microphone) who represented both Olmsted Falls School District and Polaris Career Center very well at a recent joint meeting of the Olmsted, North Olmsted and Fairview Park Chambers of Commerce. This joint Chamber lunch meeting was held at Polaris Career Center and featured a panel of student presenters sharing information about their experience as students of Polaris Career Center. Both currently seniors, Anthony Fanara is a student in the Polaris Baking & Pastry program and Sammie Thompson is a student in the Polaris Cosmetology program. The presentation was interesting and engaging, with an opportunity for Chamber members to ask questions of the student panelists at the end. Well done Anthony & Sammie!
UPCOMING HELPING HANDS EVENTS – SAVE THE DATES!
Monday, December 3, 6:30-7:30pm
Room W5 at the HS (Enter through the west side gym entrance and follow the signs to W5.)
HH Holiday Party and Fundraiser:
Friday, December 14, 5:30-8pm
$10- Ages 12 – Adult
$8- Ages 4-11
FREE- Ages 0-3
Dinner, Dancing, and Games
Feel free to bring a friend (even from another district)!
Forms and money must be returned back to Mariel Krakowiak at OFHS by Friday, December 7!! Please click HERE to download registration form.
MEET MRS. PALMER!
ANNUAL PTA REFLECTIONS CONTEST UNDERWAY – LOCAL DEADLINE DEC. 3RD
REFLECTIONS is back and projects are due to your building’s chairperson by Monday, Dec. 3rd, 2012. The theme for this year’s Reflections content is: “The Magic of a Moment.” OECPTA will be having a Reflections workshop. Watch for a possible workshop at ECC and Falls-Lenox as well. Information has already gone out at OFIS; and flyers will be available in the office at the MS and HS for your student to pick up.
Important Notes: The paperwork is different this year, so please make sure you read it carefully, fill in all the information, and include a parent’s signature. Entry forms provided at building levels contain contact information specific to that building. Should you need to make corrections to the form you received, or just need a blank form, please click here. Also, for a handy tool of rules to reference to make sure your project isn’t shut out for not following the new guidelines, please click here. You can enter something in each and every category if you desire.
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR AT OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL
OFMS is hosting a Scholastic Book Fair through this Friday, November 16th. The book fair will also be open late during Thursday’s parent/teacher conferences. This is a great time to do some holiday shopping!
ATTENTION ALL OLMSTED FALLS DANCERS, SINGERS, MUSICIANS, JUGGLERS, BANDS AND MAGICIANS!!!
Do you think you’ve got talent? The 26th Annual Olmsted Falls Friday Night Talent Show Auditions will be held on Saturday, December 1st from 9 am to Noon in the High School Auditorium. Get your act together and start preparing your audition. The key is practice! Please watch this weekly blog, look for posted flyers in your school and check your school website for more details. Contact Mrs. Ferrini with questions at 440-427-0894.
OFHS SWIM & DIVE ANNUAL HONEYBAKED HAM SALE UNDERWAY!
OFHS Swim & Dive Team is again bringing the HoneyBaked Ham Store to your door! You can order delicious Spiral Sliced Hams, Glazed, Roasted & Smoked Turkey Breasts, Boneless Hams, Combinations, Desserts, and Gift Certificates for your holiday entertaining.
Place your order between now and December 8th and enjoy the convenience of picking up your holiday entertaining needs at Olmsted Falls High School. SAME PRICE AS IN THE STORE – NO MARK UP. 15% of your purchase will go to the Olmsted Falls Swim and Dive Team. Orders available for pick up on Friday, December 21st from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. at the side band entrance, Olmsted Falls High School.
Please click HERE to download the order form attached. For more information call Carrie Higginbotham at 440-243-8512.
OFHS POST PROM COMMITTEE FUNDRAISERS
OFHS Post Prom Committee will be hosting a fundraiser on Saturday, November 17. A taco/nacho bar night at Tony K’s from 8:00 to 12:00. Tickets are $20 and include all the tacos/nachos you can eat as well as beer & soda. The evening will include basket raffles, side boards, and a 50/50 raffle. To purchase tickets contact Meg Fox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Hope to see you there.
Another OFHS Post Prom Committee fundraiser is currently under way. “Pick-3 Lottery”. You can purchase a lottery ticket for $5. If the numbers on your ticket come up any time during the month of December 2012 Ohio Lottery drawings, you will win $50. You can win more than once during the month. To purchase a lottery ticket please contact Wendy Yako at email@example.com.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- OLMSTED FALLS LACROSSE ASSOCIATION NIGHT-OUT FUNDRAISER, @ THE UPPER DECK, 375 BAGLEY ROAD – THIS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16TH AT 7:00 P.M. – 9:00 P.M. – Includes unlimited beer, pop, pizza, wings, and rigatoni! There will be $2 and $5 50/50 raffle boards, over 20 gift basket prizes (including a large ‘stock your bar’ basket), an Olmsted Falls Bulldog Lacrosse corn hole (designed and constructed by Olmsted Falls ’53 Alumni Bill Haar), and a Magnavox 32″ LCD HDTV giveaway!! All make great Christmas gifts! Come out and support the newest sport for girls and boys in Olmsted Falls!! Please click here for ticket information.
- SANTA’S SECRET SHOP, SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., FALLS-LENOX PRIMARY SCHOOL – At Santa’s Secret Shop, kids can shop for presents for family members with the help of our elves. Most items are $1-$10. Also, visit with Santa, purchase bake sale items and buy tickets for our huge holiday raffle of great items including an Apple iPad. All proceeds benefit Cub Scout Pack 102.
- ST. MARY OF THE FALLS 3RD ANNUAL HOLIDAY FAIR CRAFT & GIFT SHOW – SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1ST – 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. IN THE PARISH HALL – Find unique gifts from local crafters & vendors. Enjoy Christmas Carols by the St. Mary of the Falls Youth Choir. Photos with Santa and Create Your Own Nativity Photos from 11 am – 12;30 p.m. and 1:30 – 3 p.m. Food, fellowship and more! Please click HERE to download event flyer.
- A CHRISTMAS STORY WILL BE PERFORMED AT OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS MAIN STAGE – FRIDAY, DECEMBER 7 AT 7:00 p.m., SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8 AT 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., and SUNDAY, DECEMBER 9 AT 2:00 p.m. – Performances will be in the 1,200 seat theater at Journey Church, 6941 Columbia Road, Olmsted Falls. Tickets are $18 (Orchestra A), $15 (Orchestra B), and $12 (Reserved). Advance tickets will go on sale on October 7th at www.olmstedperformingarts.com, and will be available through noon on December 6th, or call 440-465-3355 to check the hours for our box office… Tickets may also be available at the door.
- TCHAIKOVSKY’S CLASSIC AND MOST FAMOUS BALLET, THE NUTCRACKER, WILL BE PERFORMED BY THE OLMSTED PERFORMING ARTS DANCE ACADEMY ON FRIDAY, DECEMBER 14 AT 7:00 p.m., SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15 AT 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., and SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16 AT 2:00 p.m. – Performances will be in the 1,200 seat theater at Journey Church, 6941 Columbia Road, Olmsted Falls. Tickets are $18 (Orchestra A), $15 (Orchestra B), and $12 (Reserved). Visit www.olmstedperformingarts.com for information about the preshow event, and to purchase advance tickets which will go on sale on October 14th. Advance tickets will be available through noon on December 13th. Call 440-465-3355 to check the hours for our box office. Tickets may also be available at the door.