Parent Update – January 30, 2013
DISTRICT HOLDS SECOND SAFETY MEETING; PROVIDES UPDATE ON PROGRESS
Olmsted Falls School District held its second safety meeting this past Monday to discuss the progress being made in the assessment and updating of all current safety plans throughout the District. The extensive process of reviewing and updating the District’s existing plans is being led by an outside security company, PLE Group. The District Safety Committee includes District administrators, local safety leaders, elected officials and parent representatives.
Since the committee’s first meeting back in November, on-line safety surveys have been completed by both parents and staff members – with good response rates from both groups. Survey data is still being analyzed and will play an important role in the updating of the safety plans. There are plans to make student survey links available to Middle and High School students in the coming weeks to gather yet another valuable perspective on school safety. (Links will be e-mailed to parents with a preview of the survey questions, so that parents can determine if they would like their student(s) to participate.)
Representatives from PLE Group are also in the District this week, working to personally assess and evaluate safety at each of our school buildings. They’ll be observing traffic patterns, doing internal and external building safety assessments, and observing each building in the daytime as well as at night.
The District Safety Committee will meet again to review and discuss all of the data being collected, and next steps. A special thank you is extended to our local safety leaders, elected officials, and parents who are serving on this important committee. Thank you also to our parents and staff who took time to complete the recent on-line surveys.
SCHOOL BOARD RECOGNITION
January is School Board Recognition Month in Ohio. Olmsted Falls School District took the opportunity to publicly thank the five members of the Olmsted Falls Board of Education at their regular monthly meeting held this past Monday at the Middle School. Each Board member received a certificate of recognition from the Ohio School Board Association. In addition, a letter to the editor from Superintendent Dr. Todd Hoadley acknowledging the Olmsted Falls Board of Education ran in last week’s Sun Post Herald. To read the letter to the editor, please click here.
This month, the Olmsted Falls Board of Education also elected officers for 2013. Mr. James Weisbarth was elected to serve another year as Board President for calendar year 2013; and Mr. Joe Bertrand was elected to serve another year as Board Vice President. Board Member Mrs. Rhonda McCrone will serve as the Board’s legislative liaison for 2013. We extend both congratulations and thanks to these individuals for taking on these additional responsibilities in the coming year.
BULLDOG STUDENTS IN THE NEWS
Our Bulldogs are making news! Congratulations to Middle School student Sarena Muscatello (pictured at left) for being named student of the week by The Sun Post Herald! Please click here to read why Sarena was selected.
The Sun Post Herald also just featured an article on the OFHS Gymanstics Team. To view the article, please click here.
MEET MR. KRAKOWIAK!
Mr. Heath Krakowiak has been an employee of the Olmsted Falls Schools since 2000. He earned his degree in Public Administration after deciding that he would like to focus on the business side of education. Mr. Krakowiak has worked in every building in some fashion, and has been the Transportation Supervisor since 2011.
Mr. Krakowiak has been a Bulldog all of his life, and loves the unwavering PRIDE within our community. He believes that it is addictive and refreshing to see it continue to catch onto our newest students and staff.
Mr. Krakowiak and his wife, Mariel, an art teacher at OFHS, live in the district with their two children, Colbie (4), and Lleyton (19 months). In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his family, playing golf, and being outside.
HELPING HANDS MOVIE AND GAME NIGHT
TIME: 6:00 p.m. -8:30 p.m.
WHERE: OFHS, Cafeteria: Games, Snacks, and Making Valentine’s, Auditorium: Showing of the movie “Finding Nemo” at 6:30 p.m.
**No RSVP Necessary**
Reminder: Helping Hands will continue to collect aluminum pull tabs through Friday March 22 for the Ronald McDonald House. Please drop off donations to Mariel Krakowiak at OFHS or to Rachael Papa at OFMS. Thank you for supporting such a wonderful organization.
“WEAR RED DAY” – THIS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 1ST – KICKS OFF JUMP ROPE FOR HEART AT FALLS-LENOX
Students at Falls-Lenox will be invited to participate in the Jump Rope for Heart fundraiser to benefit research in heart disease. Although the actual event will not be starting this week, National Wear Red Day is this Friday, February 1st, 2013. Falls-Lenox students are encouraged to wear RED this Friday to raise awareness about Heart Disease and our upcoming fundraiser. The PE teachers, Mr. Dame and Mr. Hoover, will be supporting this event in PE classes and more information will be coming.
The Annual Olmsted Falls Alumni Association Las Vegas Night, featuring gambling, food and fun, will be held at the Irish-American Club, 8559 Jennings Rd. (south off Bagley, west of Stearns), in Olmsted Township on Saturday, February 23, from 7 p.m. to midnight. There will be a cash bar, refreshments by Angelina’s, door prizes, big wheel, dice, black jack, let it ride, poker, Texas hold ‘em, 50/50 raffle and VitaMix raffle. All profits go towards scholarships for the OFHS class of 2013. Tickets are $5 in advance, $6 at the door. Call the Alumni Office at 440-427-6030 for tickets or more information. 21 and over please… Hope to see you there!!
BATTLE OF THE SCHOOLS IS ON: FALLS-LENOX/ECC TEAM SHIRTS ON SALE NOW!
Thursday, February 14, 2013
7:00 PM @ Olmsted Falls High School
Tickets are $3.00 for Students & $6.00 for Adults and on sale at the door!
T-SHIRTS FOR FALLS-LENOX/ECC TEAM ON SALE NOW!! $6.00 a shirt! Please click here for the order form.
All money raised for this event goes to PTA scholarship fund.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
The 26th Annual Olmsted Falls High School PTA Talent Show will be held Friday, March 15, 2013 at 7 pm in the Olmsted Falls High School Auditorium. Join us for a fun-filled evening featuring 21 acts ranging in age from Kindergarten through 12th Grade demonstrating their musical, vocal, dance, acrobatic and magical talents. Please come and support these amazing students. All proceeds will benefit the OFHS scholarship fund. Watch this weekly blog for more details. For further information, contact Claudia Ferrini at 440-427-0894.
OLMSTED FALLS MASQUERS & FORENSICS AND SOMETHING DADA IMPROVISATIONAL COMEDY CO. PRESENT COMEDY NIGHT!
Friday, February 15, 7:00 p.m. at Olmsted Falls High School
Tickets $10 at the door
To view the poster for this event, please click here.
HELP FALLS-LENOX RECEIVE A VISIT FROM AUTHOR JAN BRETT!
A favorite author of many of our primary students, Jan Brett, is offering an opportunity for our school to win prizes. The top prize is a school visit by Jan Brett herself! We are in 12th Place right now with 66 votes. The school that is in first place right now has 354 votes. All you need to do is like her Facebook page and click on the “Contest” button at the top of the page. The “Contest” button states “Free school or library visit.” From there, just fill out the entry which only requires basic information (name, email, school name, city, state and zip code)! Each person can post one time. If you are a Facebook user, please consider visiting Jan Brett’s Facebook page today to enter the contest. Encouraging family and friends with Facebook pages to do the same will help even more! What excitement for our students to be the winning school for this special author’s visit!
SOS: SIGNS OF SUICIDE PROGRAM GETS UNDERWAY AT OFMS
As a proactive way to address the important topic of teen depression and related issues, Olmsted Falls Middle School annually offers depression awareness and suicide prevention training through the Signs of Suicide (SOS) Middle School Program. The SOS Program at OFMS will include a classroom presentation which will be conducted by our own school counselors and school psychologists. All seventh graders will participate in this program on the following days: Phoenix Team on Wednesday, January 30th; and Griffin Team on Monday, February 11th.
Detailed information on the scheduled SOS Program is being provided to parents this week:
To read the letter sent to Middle School parents this week, please click here.
To download the SOS: Signs of Suicide Parent Newsletter, please click here.
Please contact Middle School Principal Mark Kurz with any questions at 427-6200.
ATTENTION SENIOR PARENTS: POST PROM MEETING
The purpose of the committee is to help provide a safe and substance free environment for after the Prom. The committee needs the help of senior parents and anyone else who may want to donate their time and talent to this event. The DECORATING committee will hold a meeting to start collecting ideas around our theme for that night. Please come and be a part of constructing, painting or setting up. Help us make it a memorable event! Any questions, please contact: Denise Olszewski 216-271-6000, ext. 1314.
REMINDER FOR OFHS SENIORS: LOCAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS DUE FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 15TH
For seniors interested in applying for the Local Scholarship Program, applications are due to the HS Counseling Office by no later than 3:30 p.m. on Friday, February 15th. Last year, thanks to the generosity of 71 local community donors, the OFHS Local Scholarship Program awarded more than $121,500 through 241 scholarships for members of the Class of 2012. Local Scholarship Applications can be picked up in the Guidance Office or downloaded by clicking HERE. Please contact Ms. Tommye Laut at 427-6116 with any questions.
OFHS SWIM AND DIVE DINNER
Date: February 19, 2013 (snow date February 26th)
Time: 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Place: High school cafeteria
Dinner will be provided by Applebee’s-Salad, Chicken, Broccoli Alfredo, Rolls and Dessert. Tickets are $10.00 for adults and $6.00 for kids 10 and under. Raffle baskets, 50/50. For tickets, call Deanna Kress 216-513-6513 or Ellen Dregalla 440-235-1364. To view and download the invitation and order form, please click here.
2013 YEARBOOK ON SALE NOW!
Oh memories, Oh memories, how will we keep you? By buying a 2013 yearbook of course! The new 2012-2013 yearbooks can now be preordered; the year book costs $50. They can be purchased online by clicking here. Last year’s yearbook can still be purchased as well for $60. Please contact Mr. Gaba or Mrs. Pickenheim at Olmsted Falls High School if you have any questions.
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- OLMSTED GIRLS FASTPITCH TRAVEL SOFTBALL REGISTRATION, TONIGHT! WEDNESDAY JANUARY 30th, 6:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. at OFIS CAFETERIA – Olmsted Girls Fastpitch Association will be holding open registration for the upcoming 2013 season. Registration is open to all girls in grades 2 thru 12 living within the Olmsted Falls School District. We are part of the Emerald Necklace Girls Fastpitch Association and field teams who play in divisions ranging from U10-to-U18. Our season typically consists of games played in late May through early July. While we can’t guarantee wins, we do ensure you that your daughter will have fun playing fastpitch softball. Contact email@example.com if additional information is needed. To view the flyer, please click here. For the registration form, please click here.
- OLMSTED FALLS SOCCER ASSOCIATION REGISTRATION, TONIGHT! WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 30th, 6:00 P.M. – 7:00 P.M. AT OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – This program is opened for ages 4 to 14 and includes one night of practice and a game on Saturday mornings. Please check out our web site for more details at www.olmstedsoccer.wordpress.com or you can email a question to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- STORE CLOSING – FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 1ST – KIDDE KARGO GRAND PACIFIC JUNCTION – Local chidlren’s resale store, Kidde Kargo, is closing. Last day of operation is this Friday, February 1st.
- SATURDAY ACTIVITY NIGHTS… ARE All NEW in 2013, 7:00 P.M – 10:00 P.M. AT OLMSTED COMMUNITY CENTER, 8170 MAPLEWAY DRIVE, 440-427-1599 – For ages 8-13, Cost is $8.00. Mark Your Calendars: February 16th, InFocus Interactive Photo Booth. Kids get silly pics w/ your friends. March 16th, Magician and Illusionist, Magic Mike. Every Saturday Night includes: Basketball, Ultimate Football, Dodgeball, Obstacle Courses, in our full gym, Crafts, Games w/ Prizes, and free Air Hockey, Pool, Ping Pong and Fooseball. Get your friends together and get out of the cold to enjoy physical fitness and fun indoors on Saturdays this winter. Parent Volunteers currently being accepted. Contact: Amy Hanratty: email@example.com . Notice: Background checks mandatory for Volunteers & Staff over 18 yrs. Visit: www.olmstedcc.com to view this months featured flyer & fun!
- OLMSTED TRAVEL BASEBALL ASSOCIATION (OTBA) – Olmsted Travel Baseball Association (OTBA) is currently holding open registration for teams that will compete in the Lorain County Hot Stove (LCHS) travel baseball league. Parents of children ages 6-18 who are interested in playing travel baseball should download and complete the registration form on www.olmstedtravelbaseball.com. All money and registrations are due by 2/9/2013. Walk-up registration is available at the Olmsted Falls High School cafeteria on 2/6/2013 from 6-8pm and on 2/9/2013 from 9-11am. Questions regarding OTBA and LCHS can be directed to Bob Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org.