Parent Update – May 22, 2013
MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS RECOGNIZED FOR MIDWEST TALENT SEARCH ACHIEVEMENT
Seventeen Middle School students were honored for their achievements in Northwestern University’s Annual Midwest Academic Talent Search competition at last week’s Board of Education meeting. The Midwest Academic Talent Search enables students to participate in ACT and/or SAT tests that are typically taken by college-bound juniors and seniors in high school. Middle school students who achieve a score of 21 or above on the ACT and/or a score of 980 or above on the SAT are recognized as top performers.
OFMS students recognized in this year’s national competition are: Isaac Baillis, Joseph Bertrand, Julie Calaway, Ashley Clark, Adrien Curtis, Kyle Erickson, Miranda Gibel, Bennett Graham, Megan Green, Casey Komar, Jacob Krucek, Joseph Linder, Thomas Narvaez-Legeza, Thomas Slater, Natalie Sommer, Elijah Tomasch, and Emily Walchanowicz.
Congratulations to each of these students and to their families! Additionally, we want to recognize our teachers who worked with these exceptional students along their path up to this point. It is the great education provided at each level, coupled with support in the home, that prepared these students for this achievement, and that will continue to help them thrive in the future. Congratulations again!
OFHS MATH TEACHER RECEIVES REGIONAL AWARD
OFHS math teacher Ms. Donna Langenderfer was recognized at last week’s Board of Education meeting for winning the Outstanding Mathematics Educator Award from the Greater Cleveland Council of Teachers of Mathematics (GCCTM).
Congratulations to Ms. Langenderfer! She is very deserving of this regional honor!
DISTRICT ADMINISTRATORS, BOARD OF EDUCATION MEMBERS MEET WITH RESIDENTS
In addition to the professional phone survey being conducted this week (see below), residents also had an opportunity to meet with District administrators and Board of Education members during a series of more informal focus groups hosted in homes as well as in the meeting room of the new Olmsted Falls Library. The purpose of these smaller community meetings was to engage in a more in-depth conversation with stakeholders.
Incoming Superintendent Dr. Jim Lloyd led the discussions with participants representing a cross-section of the community. Topics of discussion included what people value most about Olmsted Falls Schools, things they feel the District could possibly “do without” and still maintain quality, and how to best prepare students for the fast-changing, technology-enabled global society.
Feedback from these small group meetings will be reviewed in conjunction with the larger phone survey to give District officials an updated understanding of the thoughts and opinions of our residents. Thank you to all of those who hosted and participated in these important discussions!
If you are interested in hosting a community meeting in your home or in a local meeting room, please contact the Board of Education office at (440) 427-6000.
COMMUNITY SURVEY UNDERWAY; PHONE CALLS BEGAN MONDAY
A random telephone survey of District residents began this past Monday and is scheduled to be completed by the end of the week. The calls are being made to collect information from residents about their thoughts and opinions regarding the Olmsted Falls School District. These important phone surveys are being conducted by professionals from Triad Research Group, a local Cuyahoga County company based in Rocky River. Each phone survey takes approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. As a District resident and a parent, your thoughts and opinions are very important to us. We hope you will consider participating should your phone be among the random numbers called this week. ** Please Note: Caller IDs will show local number (440) 628-7616 for the incoming survey calls. ** Should you have any questions about the upcoming community survey about Olmsted Falls Schools, please contact the Board Office at 427-6000.
MIDDLE SCHOOL POWER OF THE PEN STUDENTS ARE STATE BOUND!
Eight fantastic writers qualified for the Power of the Pen State tournament to be held May 23rd and 24th at the College of Wooster. They will be competing with over 700 students across the state of Ohio!
Congratulations to these talented students:
Pictured in front row, from left to right, are Alex Enczur, Abby Gaba, and Morgan Finau. Pictured in back row, from left to right, are Zach Zdanowicz, Nathan Loepp, Molly McCafferty, Maggie Backus, and Erika Ratcliff.
Coaches Miss Scalley and Mrs. Gulden are qualified state judges, and they wish this talented team a special good luck!
OFMS MUSIC PROGRAM DEMONSTRATES OUTSTANDING MUSIC ABILITY AT DISTRICT CONTEST
On Friday, May 10, 2013, the Eighth Period Eighth Grade Band directed by Mr. Gulden and the Fourth Period Seventh Grade Band directed by Mr. Feller, traveled to Firelands HS for the Ohio Music Education Association sponsored Large Group Contest. This is a very intense situation, where three music educators judge the performers on three pieces. The students performed very well earning a “superior rating” which is the highest rating possible. Congratulations Fourth Period Seventh Grade Band and Eighth Period Eighth Grade Band for a job well done!
OFHS ACADEMIC TEAM FINISHING YEAR STRONG; HEADED TO NAQT NATIONALS THIS WEEKEND!
At the beginning of the academic competition season in the State of Ohio, there are almost 800 schools that compete in the Ohio Academic Competition format (OAC) in Ohio. Congratulations to our OFHS Academic Team and team captain, Marty Mendenhall, for advancing all the way to the State Competition again this year. These outstanding bulldogs finished third overall, marking the third consecutive year that Olmsted Falls has placed in the top three teams in the State of Ohio in the OAC format (2011-3rd, 2012-1st, 2013-3rd).
The OFHS Academic Team also competes in the National Academic Quiz Tournament (NAQT) format, and this year finished with a 4th place showing in the State of Ohio. This is the 4th year in a row that Olmsted Falls has placed in the top four teams in the State of Ohio (2010-2nd, 2011-1st, 2012-3rd, 2013-4th) in NAQT competition. This is the format that the OFHS team will compete in when they head to nationals in Atlanta over Memorial Day Weekend.
Best of luck to our bulldogs!
OFHS ALUMNUS WINS COLLEGE JEOPARDY!
The entire Olmsted Falls Schools community shared in the excitement last week as OFHS Class of 2011 alumnus Jim Coury emerged as the champion of the college Jeopardy! tournament! The final episode aired this past Friday night, and Jim made his alma mater and his community proud with his impressive performance and ultimate victory! Congratulations to Jim Coury and his family (pictured at right)!
To read an article about Jim’s win in the Washington Post, please click here.
MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS LEARN ABOUT LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER
Ginny Csider from The Rescue Inn visited with students in the Middle School Media Center last week. The Rescue Inn is an Ohio non-profit, foster-based rescue organization dedicated to saving the lives of dogs in need. The Rescue Inn rescues dogs from shelters and places them in foster care until they can find a “forever family.”
Along with talking to students about work of The Rescue Inn, Ms. Csider also talked to students about being responsible pet owners and ways they can help.
CULTURAL DAY FOR OFIS 5TH GRADE STUDENTS
For the past several weeks, students in Mr. Schafer, Mrs. Atkins, and Mrs. Harb’s Social Studies classes have been studying immigration. They have tied this unit into their own cultures and world geography. As a culminating activity, each student learned about a country from which their ancestors came.
Students asked family members about immigration, and whether or not their family members passed through Ellis Island. Each student then made or brought in food and other cultural objects from that country. Families were invited to OFIS for a Cultural Celebration share day.
Students and their families had a great time trying food from all over the world, and learning about other cultures.
THE 12TH ANNUAL YOUNG AUTHORS & ILLUSTRATORS BOOK PROJECT!
Fifth Graders at OFIS from Mrs. Atkins, Mr. Schafer, and Mrs. Harb’s Language Arts classes created and wrote their very own Fictional Narratives which were sent to Mariel Krakowiak’s High School Art students to illustrate. These illustrations were based on how detailed the 5th graders wrote! Once again, the illustrations were amazing! The fifth grade students were so thankful and loved their final copy.
OFIS hosted a special event where the high school students came to OFIS to meet their “5th grade authors”. Well done authors and illustrators!!!
Please click here to view a few of these amazing illustrations.
OLMSTED FALLS KINDERGARTEN STUDENT WINS PBS WRITERS CONTEST
Congratulations to Danica Marshall, Kindergarten winner of the PBS Kids Go! Writers Contest for the WVIZ viewing area! Danica is a student in Mrs. Doyle’s AM kindergarten, and daughter of OFMS Life Skills teacher Mrs. Marshall.
As author of the first place book at the kindergarten level, she received a prize pack from WVIZ. Even more exciting, her story is being sent on to the national competition, which will be judged in the next few weeks!
Her winning book, “Daddy and Danica’s River Adventures,” can be viewed here on the WVIZ website: http://www.ideastream.org/education/writers.
Congratulations and good luck to Danica!
HELPING HANDS ACCOMPANIES STUDENTS TO FESTIVAL
Four Helping Hands Members accompanied students from OFMS & OFIS to The Arts on the Town Festival held at the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds. The Festival was held as a means of demonstrating the importance of the arts as a total development of all individuals.
The purpose of the Art Festival is to provide individuals with disabilities opportunities to participate in meaningful art experiences and increase public awareness of the artistic abilities and importance of art for individuals with disabilities.
FALLS-LENOX APPRECIATES ITS VOLUNTEERS!
Falls-Lenox hosted their Annual Volunteer Appreciation Brunch on Tuesday, May 14! Volunteers were treated to a delicious breakfast made by staff members. First graders read two poems about being thankful for volunteers, and flowers from The Cutting Garden were prizes for lucky winners at each table.
The students and staff at Falls-Lenox are so grateful to have such dedicated parents and community members helping out! For more photos, please click here.
RED CROSS THANKS YOU!
Falls-Lenox Primary School held a blood drive on May 13, 2013. The American Red Cross stated that approximately 141 people will be helped with the total of 47 pints raised and a total of 57 participants. Thanks to everyone who participated in this event by either donating blood or donating their time to volunteer. Children who had a parent or guardian donate blood are invited to a pizza party with the principals on Tuesday, May 28th at 2:00 p.m.
SWIM AND DIVE TEAM SUMMER SCHOLARSHIP AWARD OPPORTUNITY
We had an amazing season this year. The 2012-2013 Swim and Dive team broke a total of 13 current school records! Incredibly, we also had 15 athletes advance to District Championships. Good Luck to our graduating seniors: Joan Dregalla, Jaime Fossen, Shannon John, Sam Aburaad, Aidan Burton, Jon Levin, and Cody Locklear. We will miss you! We are preparing for another great season for 2013-2014. Come be a part of the exciting OFHS Swim and Dive team. We offer a summer scholarship to anyone interested in attending a summer program/camp and swimming and/or diving for OFHS next year. Please click here for the application. If you would like more information on joining the team, please contact Coach Laughlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GIRLS BASKETBALL SUMMER OPEN GYMS FOR CURRENT 4TH – 7TH GRADE GIRLS
The Girls High School and Middle School Basketball coaches along with the OFBA will be having 4 open gyms this summer for girls in grades 4-7. The dates, times, and location are listed below. We would love for you to come and play!
Wednesday, June 26th 4:00-5:30 PM Olmsted Falls High School
Wednesday, July 3rd 10:00-11:30 AM Olmsted Falls High School
Wednesday, July 10th 10:00-11:30 AM Olmsted Falls High School
We will run two floors so that we can separate the players by age/ability level. All players will be supervised by High School and Middle School coaches and parents you are welcome to stay as well. Please click HERE to download the information in a flyer.
OLMSTED FALLS ALUMNI AND ENDOWMENT ASSOCIATION TO HOLD GOLF OUTING
When? Saturday, July 13, 2013 – tee times begin at 9:00 a.m.
Where? Mallard Creek Golf Course, 34500 Royalton Road, Columbia Station
Cost? $85 per golfer includes 18 holes, riding cart, lunch, a fabulous steak dinner, and favor
Format? 4 Person Scramble, no handicaps
REGISTER EARLY—all teams and individuals with paid registrations submitted by May 31 will receive four (4) complimentary raffle tickets per golfer for the AWESOME door prize drawings. There will also be games and a 50/50 raffle! All proceeds benefit the Alumni Association and its Scholarship Programs. Next Wednesday on Honor Day, the Alumni Association will be giving away 48 scholarships/awards totaling $29,400! Pictured at left: The 2012 Winners – Bob Lehman, Heath Krakowiak, Bob Burton, Joe Miles
BULLDOG SUMMER SPORTS CAMP INFORMATION & REGISTRATION FORMS AVAILABLE ON DISTRICT WEBSITE
A listing of 2013 Bulldog Summer Sports Camps put on by the Olmsted Falls Athletic Department has just been added to the District website. The list includes camp dates, registration deadlines, contact information, and links to individual camp information and registration forms.
Please click HERE for the latest 2013 Bulldog Summer Sports Camp information.
SAFETY TOWN 2013 SPONSORED BY THE OLMSTED EARLY CHILDHOOD PTA
Do you have a child starting Kindergarten in the fall? If so, Safety Town is a child accident prevention program for incoming kindergarteners. It is a program that introduces safety awareness and preventative procedures to the children. Children practice real life situations before being confronted with situations on their own. Safety Town is the foundation of safety education.
Safety Town in Olmsted Falls and Olmsted Township is organized through the Olmsted Early Childhood PTA, a non-profit organization consisting of volunteers who seek to unite home, school and the Olmsted community in promoting education, health and safety of children, youth and families. Children who attend will practice safety “out on the town” in a miniaturized city layout designed to teach children safety near roads, railroad crossings, while on their bikes or walking in their neighborhood. Videos, songs and lessons with visits from local Police, Fire and Bus Departments as well as field trips to Police and Fire Departments, all help your child enjoy and understand what he or she is learning. Please click here to find out more and to register.
6TH ANNUAL MIDDLE SCHOOL PTA CALENDAR RAFFLE – GET YOURS TODAY!
Help support the Middle School PTA by purchasing an entry in our 6th Annual Calendar Raffle. For $5.00 you are entered for a chance to win 31 days of great prizes. We will pull a different winner every day and a list of winners will be posted on this blog. You may enter as many times as you like. Winners will be announced here on the blog – it is not too late to get your calendar!!
Entry forms and cash or a check (made out to MS PTA) can be turned in at any of the school main offices. Take a chance. We have Monsters tickets, a birthday bowling party at Fairview Lanes along with many other great prizes. You can download a copy of the calendar by clicking here.
Entry form must be returned with money to your school office in an envelope marked OFMS PTA Calendar Raffle to be eligible. Checks should be made payable to OFMS PTA. Entries can be added to the drawing pool throughout the month, however entries will not be eligible for to be included in the drawings until your official payment / entry form has been received.
CASE WESTERN RESERVE DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY OFFERING FREE “GIRLS LINK” PROGRAM FOR LOCAL MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRLS
“Girls Link” is a five-session series of group meetings being offered locally at the North Olmsted branch of the Cuyahoga County Public Library through the Department of Psychology at Case Western Reserve. Girls ages 10-14, enrolled in Middle School, are encouraged to participate. The “Girls Link” meetings at the North Olmsted Library are scheduled for Tuesday nights, June 25, July 2, July 9, July 16 & July 23, from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. “Girls Link” is a prevention program that encourages girls to make new friends and feel more connected to others her age through peer support and skill-building strategies. For additional information, please click HERE for a flyer and HERE for a brochure. Call and enroll today!
CHECK OUT THE LIBRARY FOR MANY FUN SUMMER PROGRAMS
The Olmsted Falls library has many exciting opportunities this summer, including four Kindergarten readiness programs to get our little ones ready for the new school year and two camps for children and teens. For a complete listing of all the programs, please click here.
BLOG DEADLINE REMINDER
Items for the District’s Weekly Blog Update must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week’s post. The Weekly Blog Update will be published every Wednesday that school is in session. Items should be no more than 125 words and should be sent in paragraph form. To view the new Content Submission Guidelines information sheet, please click here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting information about a school or school-connected organization’s fundraising event, you will need to make sure that you have completed and submitted the District’s official Fundraising Form. Once your event has been approved, we will be happy to post/promote the information on the Weekly Blog Update. To download a copy of the Fundraising Form, please click here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
- LOCAL RELAY FOR LIFE YOUTH TEAM HOSTING RELAY BENEFIT CONCERT IN PARMA – THIS FRIDAY, MAY 24th @ 8:00 P.M. – The Fighting For A Cure Relay for Life Youth Team (led by Stephanie Kollar) is holding a Relay Benefit Concert fundraiser at the Rock City Tap House in Parma. Doors open at 8:00 p.m. and tickets are $8 each for the all-ages show featuring local Cleveland area bands including Burning Down Broadway, C-Level, Nick Wilkinson and the Featured Players, and The Frodis Capers (a Monkeys tribute band). All are welcome to attend this special fundraiser event benefitting Olmsted Falls Relay for Life!
- BARK FOR LIFE EVENT, THIS SATURDAY MAY 25th, 9:00 A.M., IN FRONT OF OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL – Olmsted Falls Relay for Life is hosting a Bark for Life event on Saturday, May 25, 2013. The 1 mile walk takes place in front of the Middle School with registration starting at 9:00 AM; the event lasting from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM. There is a $10 registration fee per dog; $5 for a 2nd dog. Dogs will receive a Bark for Life bandana. The event also includes many booths, games, and activities! Attention Middle School Students: Also attending this event will be the stars of eighth grader Julia Montgomery’s running Paw Print Newspaper column known as “The Chronicles of Murphy.” Come and meet the dogs, Murphy and Bernie! Please contact Miss Kristen Rupp at (440) 427-6258, email@example.com for more details or to register. Please click here for flyer and registration form.
- DINE & DONATE TO SUPPORT ROBBY’S VOICE – Friday, May 31st through Saturday, June 1st – LONE STAR STEAKHOUSE IN NORTH OLMSTED – Invite Family, Friends and Neighbors to Lone Star Steakhouse in North Olmsted, Ohio on Friday, May 31st through Saturday, June 1st. Lone Star will donate 15% of full priced items back to Robby’s Voice. Flyer must be presented when you dine. We sincerely appreciate your support! Please click here for the flyer.
- WESTVIEW SWIM TEAM – Looking for a fun, physical activity to get your child off the couch and computer this summer? The Westview Swim Team is open to children aged 4 to 18 who are residents of Olmsted Falls/Township AND can swim. We teach competitive swim strokes and compete in meets from June 1 to July 24. We emphasize sportsmanship, teamwork and self-esteem. Many swimmers have gone on to swim competitively in high school and college, earning scholarships and building self-discipline. Kids LOVE our awesome events like Donut Fridays, Swim-a-Thon, secret swimmer and Awards Banquet with pool party! www.whoaconnect.org or contact Catherine Davis @ 440- 427-0514 for additional information.
- RELAY FOR LIFE – SAVE THE DATE: The 4th Annual Relay For Life will be held June 8th– 9th at Olmsted Falls High School. The event begins at 3 p.m. this year! Please help us to Color Out Cancer With A Rainbow Of Hope! Enjoy 18 hours of fun, games, live entertainment, and fireworks! A great FAMILY EVENT! Join us for the opening lap at 3 p.m. – we will be celebrating the survivors of cancer in our community! The Luminaria (candle remembrance) Ceremony is unexplainable….don’t miss it at 9! Luminaria will be followed by an amazing fireworks display and more fun all night long! Getting hungry?? There will be another famous Kiwanis breakfast in the morning. This year’s event is 18 hours and will be attended by thousands of participants and community members! Come see how you can make a difference and help create a world with more birthdays! Visit www.relayforlife.org/olmstedfalls for more information!
- FALLSSTRONG CO-ED SAND VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT – FRIDAY, JUNE 14TH @ 9:30 A.M. AT RAZZLES – Registration: 9:30 – 10 a.m.; Tournament Starts: 10 a.m. Round-robin; min. 6 players per team. All proceeds benefit Danny Cuellar, Ryan Hoffer, Alex Stipek, and Chase DuPratt. Click HERE to download the information / registration form. Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BOYS/GIRLS INSTRUCTIONAL SUMMER TENNIS CAMP 2013, JUNE 17 – JUNE 21, 10:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. MON, WED, FRI, 12:00 P.M. – 1:30 P.M. TUES, THURS, OFHS TENNIS COURTS – For Boys and Girls entering grades 5th -9th. (Rain Date: Sat, June 22nd), Registration Deadline: Friday June 7th. Cost: $60.00 / per child (includes OCC water bottle). Strong fundamental tennis instruction for boys and girls. Each child should come prepared with: Sunscreen, sunglasses/visor, water and tennis racquet. Register online at www.olmstedcc.com (or fill out & drop off registration form). Please click here for registration form. If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Kuntz @ 440.235.2442 or email: email@example.com.
- OLMSTED FALLS LACROSSE SUMMER CAMP 2013 – JULY 22 – 24, 5:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M., OFMS FIELDS, 27045 BAGLEY ROAD – With the program now growing from 20 players to 200 players, OFLA is pleased to offer a 3 day camp to boys and girls entering grades 1-8 for the 2013-2014 school year. The cost is $40 and is open to players of all skill levels from beginner to advance. Players will be separated by age and skill level. The camp will focus on developing the skills of each individual camper. Each camper will receive an OF Bulldog lacrosse dri-fit shirt. Please click here for a registration form.