OFCS Update – August 15, 2016
WELCOME BACK WEEK!
Olmsted Falls City Schools welcomed back all Bulldog staff members during the annual Opening Day Meeting held in the OFHS auditorium Monday morning. Agenda items included the introduction of new staff members, the recognition of staff members for years of service to the District, and remarks by Superintendent Dr. Jim Lloyd, Assistant Superintendent Kelli Cogan and Treasurer Emily Dales. The District also debuted a new video highlighting what makes Olmsted Falls City Schools such a great place for students and families. (See below to view it yourself!)
OFCS would like to extend an extra special thank you to the students from the OFHS Marching Band who helped kick-off the annual meeting with some extra Bulldog spirit this morning!
We look forward to welcoming students back to our buildings this Wednesday, August 17th. Please see list of important back-to-school dates for your child’s building below.
Be sure to follow our regular blog posts throughout the school year to stay up to date on the latest news and information from Olmsted Falls Schools. Please watch for an additional blog later this week dedicated to upcoming district and community events.
NEW VIDEO SHOWCASES OLMSTED FALLS CITY SCHOOLS
Olmsted Falls City Schools is proud to debut the new video below here on our first official blog post of the new 2016-2017 school year. Simply click on the image below to view the new video on our District website. We invite you to share the link with family, friends and neighbors.
MEET OUR NEWEST BULLDOG TEACHERS!
Please join us in welcoming these new Bulldog faces to our buildings!
Front row (L to R): Stephanie LaGruth – Falls-Lenox 2nd Grade Teacher; Jessica Hubbard – ECC Kindergarten Teacher; Emily Nagle – OFHS Math Teacher; Leah Grinnell – Middle School Language Arts; Dena Kotz – OFHS Business Teacher; Kelsey Sherman – OFIS Tutor; and Kelsey Mason – OFMS Math Teacher.
Back row (L to R): Anwar Mustafa – OFMS Tutor; Sarah Shapiro – OFHS Math Teacher; Megan Kauffman – OFMS Physical Education Teacher; Brian Hasenohrl – OFIS Intervention Specialist; Christine Seghy – OFMS/OFHS Spanish Teacher; Sara Nash – ECC/OFIS School Psychologist; and Emma Schlabig – OFMS French Teacher.
Look for the latest issue of Our School Report in mailboxes community-wide this week.
For a sneak peek of the August 2016 issue, click HERE.
August 2016 issue highlights include:
- Why The November Bond Issue Is Needed
- Current P.I. Funds At Work
- Bulldog Teachers Engage Students with Innovative Summer Camp
Attn: Bulldog Parents! To view the annual”Back-To School” issue of Our School Report, please click HERE.
LIFELONG LEARNING: OFHS SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER ATTENDS SUMMER AP PSYCHOLOGY INSTITUTE
OFHS Social Studies teacher Tom Gibeaut spent a portion of his summer at University High School in Morgantown, WV, for an AP Psychology Summer Institute. Mr. Gibeaut was one of a dozen teachers selected to participate in the 4-day workshop focused on an array of new teaching methods directly aligned with several of the units he’ll be covering in the new, year-long AP Psychology course he’ll be teaching at OFHS this school year.
“My experience at the AP Summer Institute was awesome,” said Mr. Gibeaut. “I look forward to incorporating many of the new methods and ideas I learned into my new AP Psychology course this year.”
Mr. Gibeaut was able to participate in a number of active demonstrations and expand his knowledge of Psychology and ways to present it. Areas of focus included: Brain and Behavior; Development; Psychological Disorders; Sensation and Perception; and Research Methods. OFHS psychology students will definitely benefit from how Mr. Gibeaut spent his summer vacation.
BY FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL – THIS WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17TH
- Login to Your Existing PowerSchool Parent Account at https://psof.nccohio.org/public/home.html
- Click on the “RETURNING STUDENT REGISTRATION 2016-2017″ link located on left side of page
- Follow the instructions to review, update and submit all of the information required for the 2016-2017 school year.
- IMPORTANT: If you have more than one child attending Olmsted Falls Schools, you MUST COMPLETE THIS REVIEW/ UPDATE PROCESS FOR EACH STUDENT. Once you have submitted information updates/forms for your first student, simply click on the name of your next student at the top of your PowerSchool Parent Account page, and then click the “Returning Student Registration 2016-2017″ link (on the left) again to begin updating information for your next student. Any basic information that you may have updated for your first child (i.e. change in address or phone number), should automatically appear in your other student‘s information, so you will not have to retype updates for each child. Please be sure to complete the process separately for all students in your household.
IMPORTANT BACK-TO-SCHOOL DATES (BY BUILDING)
August 17th – First Day of School: Freshman Orientation (Freshman ONLY 7:26 a.m. – 9:16 a.m.) / Grades 10-12 LATE START @ 9:16 a.m.
August 29th – OFHS Open House @ 7:00 p.m.
OLMSTED FALLS MIDDLE SCHOOL
August 17th – First Day of School
September 6th – 8th Grade Parent Night (7:00 – 8:00 p.m.)
September 7th – 7th Grade Parent Night from (7:00 – 8:00 p.m.)
OLMSTED FALLS INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL
August 17th: First Day of School
August 18th: 4th Grade Open House (7:00 p.m.)
August 24th: Individual School Picture Day
August 24th: 5th Grade Open House (7:00 p.m.)
FALLS-LENOX PRIMARY SCHOOL
August 17th – First Day of School
August 22nd – 3rd Grade Open House (7:00 p.m.)
August 23rd – 2nd Grade Open House (7:00 p.m.)
August 25th – 1st Grade Open House (7:00 p.m.)
OLMSTED FALLS EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER
August 17th: Kindergarten Orientation for Mrs. Doyle from 8:00 – 10:30 a.m.; and Mrs. Heinrich from 12:00 – 2:30 p.m.
August 18th: Kindergarten Orientation for Mrs. Michaels’ & Mrs. Hubbard’s AM Classes from 8:00 – 10:30 a.m.; and for their PM classed from 12:00 – 2:30 p.m.
August 19th: Kindergarten Orientation for Mrs. McKellen & Mrs. Roberto from 8:00 – 10:30 a.m.; and Mrs. Strawser from 12:00 – 2:30 p.m.
August 22nd: First Day of Kindergarten (A.M.: 7:55 a.m.-10:40 a.m.; P.M.: 11:40 a.m.-2:25 p.m.; FULL DAY: 7:55 a.m.-2:25 p.m.)
August 22nd: Preschool Orientation (A.M. Students: 9:00-10:00 a.m.; P.M. Students: 1:00-2:00 p.m.; Ms. Kay’s Students please attend AM session)
August 23rd: First Day of Preschool for Students with IEPs
August 30th: First Day of Preschool for Typical Peers
OFCS school board members, district and building administrators, student athletes, and others joined the OFHS Marching Band on the winding parade route through Olmsted Falls for the annual Heritage Day parade. Whether in the parade or watching along the route, fun was had by all in Bulldog Country! To view photos from this year’s parade, please click HERE.
We inspire and empower all students to achieve their full potential and become meaningful contributors in a global society.
Olmsted Falls City School District provides educational experiences that empower its future graduates to become life-long learners with an identified career path to succeed as a citizen in a global society.
- Commitment to providing a caring, empowering, and accountable environment for students and staff
- Providing a high quality, high value education to all students in the district
- Educating students in a holistic manner (Academics, Arts & Athletics) to become life-long learners
- Engaging students, parents, staff and the community
- Leveraging technology, career planning and aligned resources to prepare students for successful careers